Realtor recommendation/advice

Business and professional recommendations.
lpercival

Realtor recommendation/advice

Post by lpercival »

I've read all the old topics on the subject but still wasn't satisfied, so I thought I'd start my own thread.

My husband and I are looking to buy our first home, which will probably be a townhouse under 250k (which is a pretty small market in Kelowna). We can't decide if we should go without a realtor, with a regular realtor, or with one of those discount/rebate realtors. We do a lot of research and stay on top of all the listings, so I think the main advantage a realtor provides us is the ability to arrange multiple showings at once. If we went without a realtor we would make sure to use a good lawyer, but we do feel a bit insecure about going it alone as first timers.

If we do decide to go with a realtor, it is extremely difficult to choose one since they are seemingly endless in Kelowna. Ideally we would like someone intelligent with decent grammar who understands home value well and is a confident negotiator. We know we're at the lower end of the market but we still want a realtor who will try to get us the best deal possible (every dollar counts!).

Any advice will be considered and appreciated. Thanks!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: Realtor recommendation/advice

Post by lesliepaul »

Used "ComFree" years ago and they provide you with the info you need to sell your property. If you come across property for sale "Privately" do not hesitate to contact owner. Like you said, the FINAL agreement will go through your lawyer and theirs. I would go it alone when looking and contact the Realtor involved......why bring in a second one that will only add to the commission fee. If all else fails, then lower yourself and bring in your own agent..............MAN.......just saying that gives me a bad taste.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

We've used Steve Kirk. Him and his dad provided a great service and walked us through buying our first property. Great service.

Mobile: (250) 317-2854 | [email protected]

http://kirks.ca/
stevemic
Fledgling

Post by stevemic »

Ken Dempsey
awesome realtor me and my friends use him very honest guy
You can say whatever you please,
as long as the Mods agree
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Dump all of the Real Estate agents who say;

- there never has been a better time to buy.
- there never has been a better time to sell.
- I think I might have a buyer for your house.
- I don't try to steer buyers to houses that I have listed so that I get a double commission.
- we have your best interests at heart.
- we work only for you.

IMO pick the one or two left over and you will have identified the only honest one or two in the area.

Just like used car salesmen
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

None . They want their commish , that is all .

They will assist you in selling or buying as soon as possible . You really have to boss them around . If they're running the show your getting screwed . Period.
Strong and free
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Find what interests you on mls.ca. and contact the listing realtors.
When you want to make an offer consider the listing realtor double ending the commission and make them leave a big chunk of it on the table.
They don't like doing it but most will just to get a deal done.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

I have never heard of any buyer at any time, paying a realtor a commission, on a property purchase. It just does not happen.
The seller is the person/s paying the realtor.
You don't need a lawyer, as a notary is more than sufficient.
Any realtor can help you find a house. Just find one that listens to what you are looking for.

It really is just that simple.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:I have never heard of any buyer at any time, paying a realtor a commission, on a property purchase. It just does not happen.
Any realtor can help you find a house. Just find one that listens to what you are looking for.

Whoever purchases the house is ultimately paying the commission. Take the realtor out of the equation and they would accept less for the house.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Carrs Landing Viking wrote:I have never heard of any buyer at any time, paying a realtor a commission, on a property purchase. It just does not happen.

It's the buyers money that pays everything.

A notary is fine unless an issue develops that requires litigation.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Lloyd Taverner from McDonald Realty.

Lloyd is honest and tenacious and I have known him to walk away from deals if he thought he couldn't get the buyer/seller what they need.

He won't mince words and he has cut into his own pockets many times to put deals away.

Very likable guy and is super smart about the market here.

250-215-5607.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

One of the problems in asking anyone would recommend as a realtor is that you have no way of knowing if the person answering your question is a real estate agent or the close friend of a real estate agent.

Whoever you eventually contact keep solidly in mind that no real estate agent works for you. They work to make money for themselves and they make that money by selling you a house.

A friend who has bought and sold a few houses to help you deal with the real estate agent is a good asset.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Good post DG. I recommended one and yes, I know him but he has no way of knowing that I gave him the recommendation.

I actually hate recommending anything to anyone because more often than not, they come back to bite you in the butt.

Lloyd has helped me with 4 or 5 purchases and sales and all went smoothly and satisfactorily and if that hadn't been the case, I wouldn't be writing this now.

He just sold a difficult to sell home for friend where 3 other realtors had given up. He now has a listing for my friends family for a much higher end home.

That's how it works.

But I still agree with you sir.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Recently had a relative sell a house and he said that Crista McDermott at Royal LePage in West Kelowna was outstanding. He had nothing but good things to say about her.
Sige
Übergod

Post by Sige »

The seller pays the commission; the procedure is that the buyer's lawyer pays the commission with the seller's money before they send the money off to the seller's lawyer.
Non illegitimi carborundum est.

Return to “Referrals”