Table Grapes Kelowna, Buying & Planting?

Business and professional recommendations.
kelowna_proud
Fledgling

Table Grapes Kelowna, Buying & Planting?

Post by kelowna_proud »

Bought a house and previous owner has beautiful 30 foot long trellis to growing grapes. 1st wire is 20" from the ground and 2 more wires 20" above that. So 3 wires total around 64" tall. I have excavated the ground and brought in 24" deep of planting soil. Would like to start some seedless grapes in that area. Anyone know a place to buy seedless grapes ready to plant? Any tips on spacing? I don't have that much space but want to put them as close as possible. I know its kinda of late to plant but want to at least get started this year.
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Table Grapes Kelowna, Buying & Planting?

Post by Farmmaa »

Any of the nurseries and greenhouses/garden centres carry a variety of grapes.
There is no need to plant them any closer together than 6 to 8 feet.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I think the Greenery still has some. Himrod is a seedless green table grape that is deliciously sweet - I do not regret planting that one :)
I haven't failed until I quit.
tootall23
Fledgling

Post by tootall23 »

Bought grapes yesterday from Bylands in West Kelowna. Quite a few varieties with nice plants for sale there. Early Campbell, Coronation, Vanessa, Himrod.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Himrod, as Lady tehMa said. I have a prolific producer, one plant only, smaller than typical green seedless store-bought fruit but very sweet and tasty; usually ripen bang on Labour Day but in a year like this one, maybe up to 4 weeks early? The plants suffer from white flies so you might want to spray if the white flies bother you. They don't seem to bother the fruit.
Kalvin K
Fledgling

Post by Kalvin K »

kelowna_proud wrote:Bought a house and previous owner has beautiful 30 foot long trellis to growing grapes. 1st wire is 20" from the ground and 2 more wires 20" above that. So 3 wires total around 64" tall. I have excavated the ground and brought in 24" deep of planting soil. Would like to start some seedless grapes in that area. Anyone know a place to buy seedless grapes ready to plant? Any tips on spacing? I don't have that much space but want to put them as close as possible. I know its kinda of late to plant but want to at least get started this year.

Man, I could write a book as you'll see from the PM I sent you.

check your PMs. I've got a LOT of experience cultivating grapes in the Okanagan and have some extra plants I'm willing to part with.

Good suggestions so far. Himrod is a great suggestion. One of the easiest grapes to grow and my personal favorite for a seedless green.

At some point someone will likely recommend Concord. I would argue with them that coronation is a better choice. Concord used to be the best seedless blue until Coronation was released and is superior in just about every way. Most people buy Coronation nowadays thinking it's Concord. Even myself - I can't tell the different unless you put both bunches side by side and even then I only get it right "most" of the time. Coronation tends to be a slightly tighter bunch resulting in slightly misshapen fruit, where concord is a looser bunch resulting in rounder fruit.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

I wouldn't suggest growing Concords either as I think they suck as table grapes. I've made jelly out of both Concords and Coronations and that's where I could taste the difference. The Coronation jelly did not have the same quality of flavour. I don't know why...maybe Concords hold up better to cooking or maybe it was just a bad year for Coronations. YMMV
nhodge

Post by nhodge »

I am on the hunt for two Himrod plants. Only 2, so I don’t want to stray too far from Vernon. Can anyone help out, or point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Nick

Kalvin K wrote:
kelowna_proud wrote:Bought a house and previous owner has beautiful 30 foot long trellis to growing grapes. 1st wire is 20" from the ground and 2 more wires 20" above that. So 3 wires total around 64" tall. I have excavated the ground and brought in 24" deep of planting soil. Would like to start some seedless grapes in that area. Anyone know a place to buy seedless grapes ready to plant? Any tips on spacing? I don't have that much space but want to put them as close as possible. I know its kinda of late to plant but want to at least get started this year.

Man, I could write a book as you'll see from the PM I sent you.

check your PMs. I've got a LOT of experience cultivating grapes in the Okanagan and have some extra plants I'm willing to part with.

Good suggestions so far. Himrod is a great suggestion. One of the easiest grapes to grow and my personal favorite for a seedless green.

At some point someone will likely recommend Concord. I would argue with them that coronation is a better choice. Concord used to be the best seedless blue until Coronation was released and is superior in just about every way. Most people buy Coronation nowadays thinking it's Concord. Even myself - I can't tell the different unless you put both bunches side by side and even then I only get it right "most" of the time. Coronation tends to be a slightly tighter bunch resulting in slightly misshapen fruit, where concord is a looser bunch resulting in rounder fruit.

Return to “Referrals”