Kelowna Gyms

Business and professional recommendations.
30degreescelcius

Kelowna Gyms

Post by 30degreescelcius »

Hey again. As I'm back to being a Kelowna resident, it's time to find a gym to join here. Where is good nowadays? I like the non-busy, non-all make up done to hit the gym kind of places. Lots of classes to pick from and just all around friendly staff. Oh and not expensive.

Recommendations? Thanks! :130:
Eires

Re: Kelowna Gyms

Post by Eires »

Try Global Gym, on Burtch, older equipment but it's friendly with lots of parking. Great fitness classes & personal trainers love their job. You will see young folk & retired folk all working out together.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

Gravity if in West Kelowna.
spooker
Guru

Post by spooker »

H20 is a good place ... can't speak for the classes but they look good and members come out looking invigorated ... the equipment is fairly new and in good repair ... and you can't beat the pool ...
--
“The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.”
― Ernest Hemingway
30degreescelcius

Thank you all. I'll give Global a shot. It's right near my new job so would be perfect location wise!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Eires wrote:Try Global Gym, on Burtch, older equipment but it's friendly with lots of parking. Great fitness classes & personal trainers love their job. You will see young folk & retired folk all working out together.

global is very good ,but you are correct they have older equipment , maybe even too old 1980's, early 1990's they need to keep up with the times a little or a lot lol ,unless they are just too cheap.

also steve nash gym at the old target location
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

The Y is surprisingly good.
Scadam
Übergod

Post by Scadam »

Are there any gyms in Kelowna where you can simply pay month to month for gym access without doing the whole haggling for a used car routine? No signup fees, cancelation fees, etc... ?
Hmmm
Lord of the Board

Post by Hmmm »

Steve Nash is brand new and the best equipment and super low costs.
I thought you said your dog doesn't bite....That's not my dog.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Hmmm wrote:Steve Nash is brand new and the best equipment and super low costs.

Super low? How'd you get that?

They had a good deal if you signed up beforehand. But. Their prices are comparable to all the other gyms, but if you want to do both sides (UFC and group fitness are separate access) it more than doubles. Their equipment IS the best, bar none. I cancelled after my trial because their group fitness room is abysmal. Long and skinny, with a support post right where the teacher should be if the class is facing the mirrors. And if the class is running the other way, you can get 2-3 people wide but the people in the back have to have eyes like a hawk to even glimpse the instructor. I couldn't deal with it.

World Gym I understand is running a really good price right now (or so I've heard) but is packed because of it. Their group fitness room is a better set up, even has a raised platform for the instructor but ventilation is poor. Decently sized, more of a square so the dimensions are more conducive to classes. I loathe the parking there, though. Oh, and they have a separate ladies' area if you don't want to train with guys. (I have no clue to your gender).

The Y's are pretty good, but I found the classes I was interested in were at the wrong times for me. Plus they also get pretty packed. They have the best parking, though. Even better than Steve Nash.

The Woman's Place (if you're female) is good, they have a nice new setup, parking isn't bad. Good classes and instructors. Their group fitness room is pretty decent and they have an instructor platform as well.

I go to Global because I like the classes and instructors (even though I HATE their parking lot). They have probably the best group fitness room I've been in, but they don't have a platform for the instructor. Thistledown Boxing has taken up residence there, but they're an add-on, too expensive for me though I might do a drop-in once in a while.

Your best bet is to gym-shop. Go to each, tell them you're hunting and they should give you either a free or cheap pass for a short duration so you can try them out. It's been about 2 years since I did my shopping trip, things may have changed.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

All of the gyms are good if you use them regularly. Do you think that looking for a gym that "fits right" might just be the result of a bit of reluctance ??
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Donald G wrote:All of the gyms are good if you use them regularly. Do you think that looking for a gym that "fits right" might just be the result of a bit of reluctance ??

No, I totally understand what the original poster means by a gym that "fits right".

I personally hate overly busy gyms, and gyms with loads of "*bleep* bags" in it. Signing up for a gym that doesn't "fit right" with that you want makes it so you are reluctant to go. It is a lot easier to get motivated to go when you feel comfortable, and enjoy the environment.
hail Satan y'all
30degreescelcius

There is a lot of reluctance. That is the truth. I used to go 3-4 time a week with a personal trainer from January 2011 to August 2012 at Gold's Gym in Regina. I was in the best shape of my life. I did the Ride to Concur Cancer (Vancouver to Seattle) June 2012. Then I took almost 3 years off to travel the world while eating and drinking everything every country had to offer. I've gained 58lbs in one year! I've since lost 25 since this January and hoping with getting back to regular gym (no trainer as I can't afford one now and I don't have a job that pays for one anymore) I'll be able to lose the rest! If not more really...

So thank you to all that have given your recommendations. I will find something that is the "right fit" for me. Now if only finding somewhere to live with dogs would be so easy to find in this city :D
30degreescelcius

Lady tehMa wrote:Super low? How'd you get that?

They had a good deal if you signed up beforehand. But. Their prices are comparable to all the other gyms, but if you want to do both sides (UFC and group fitness are separate access) it more than doubles. Their equipment IS the best, bar none. I cancelled after my trial because their group fitness room is abysmal. Long and skinny, with a support post right where the teacher should be if the class is facing the mirrors. And if the class is running the other way, you can get 2-3 people wide but the people in the back have to have eyes like a hawk to even glimpse the instructor. I couldn't deal with it.

World Gym I understand is running a really good price right now (or so I've heard) but is packed because of it. Their group fitness room is a better set up, even has a raised platform for the instructor but ventilation is poor. Decently sized, more of a square so the dimensions are more conducive to classes. I loathe the parking there, though. Oh, and they have a separate ladies' area if you don't want to train with guys. (I have no clue to your gender).

The Y's are pretty good, but I found the classes I was interested in were at the wrong times for me. Plus they also get pretty packed. They have the best parking, though. Even better than Steve Nash.

The Woman's Place (if you're female) is good, they have a nice new setup, parking isn't bad. Good classes and instructors. Their group fitness room is pretty decent and they have an instructor platform as well.

I go to Global because I like the classes and instructors (even though I HATE their parking lot). They have probably the best group fitness room I've been in, but they don't have a platform for the instructor. Thistledown Boxing has taken up residence there, but they're an add-on, too expensive for me though I might do a drop-in once in a while.

Your best bet is to gym-shop. Go to each, tell them you're hunting and they should give you either a free or cheap pass for a short duration so you can try them out. It's been about 2 years since I did my shopping trip, things may have changed.

This is great. Thank you for taking the time to post some great info! And I am female ;)
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Scadam wrote:Are there any gyms in Kelowna where you can simply pay month to month for gym access without doing the whole haggling for a used car routine? No signup fees, cancelation fees, etc... ?

I believe Y is strictly month to month. They might charge few bucks for issuing new card, can't remember.

No contracts at all.

Return to “Referrals”