Kelowna Gyms

Business and professional recommendations.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Gyms

Post by Dizzy1 »

Sorry, wrong thread - I thought someone said "extra fries" not "exercise" ... my bad :138:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
monroe
Übergod

Post by monroe »

^^ I hear ya. Been there. I love fries.

The term "Gym" gets the message across better and easier to understand as well. For years i worked out at pizza hut. I was the marathon man at the lunch buffet.
Friends would ask where i worked out ... can you imagine, awkward.

On a side note, the Y in Rutland is good, month to month, no hassle. Good atmosphere as well as nice staff.
- Alot of their equipment was old but it was Hammer Strength. Best equipment by far at the time. Not sure where it ranks now.

H2O is okay but its overrun. Not the place you can turn the tunes on and do your thing.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
Kelo_Can613
Fledgling

Post by Kelo_Can613 »

The YMCA in Rutland is good. It's usually packed at peak hours, though (late afternoon / early evening). There is also a start up "building maintenance" fee and a cancellation fee, despite it being month-to-month ($50). I've heard of people paying less, but I think you need to claim some sort of financial hardship. It's open til 10:30 pm on weekdays which is convenient for those who like to work out in the evenings.

The strange thing is if you purchase a membership to the YMCA in Rutland, you can use any other YMCA in the country except the H20 Centre.

Good Life at Capri Centre is 24/7 and centrally located - something to consider.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Parkinson Rec Center is where I go. Membership is a yearly or monthly fee or punch card and maybe a tad more pricey than others I think. Includes the pool. Good equipment, no *bleeps* that I've noticed. lol. My only qualm is they can be out of parking when they hold public events. My free time is erratic so I get punchcards. I tend to avoid places that don't understand the punchcard concept.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
30degreescelcius

Post by 30degreescelcius »

I completely forgot about Parkingson Rec. I used to go there lots as a kid. Mostly when Athens was closed. And for teen dances ;)

Will def give them a look as location is perfect for after work!

My recent going to the "gym" ventures always included a bottle or two of wine. Great arm work out :D
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Good luck 30, let us know what you find when you try out the various gyms :) Everyone has a different fit, that's for sure.

What do you like to do in the way of group fitness? I like zumba, pilates and barre myself.
I haven't failed until I quit.
30degreescelcius

Lady, I like spin classes, Zumba and high energy stuff generally. Tried yoga a couple times but I didn't feel like I got a workout. Some of my gf's live by it, just not my thing. I'd like to try pilates just to say I did but seems like yoga to me.

My one gf was telling me last night she goes to Orange. While expensive, $100 per month, she says the classes and instructors are amazing. She looks amazing so she may be onto something.

After I get this first week of work under my belt, I'm going to hit all the gyms, 1 by 1 for their 3 free days, to get a feel for all. I'll post my result for each after the 3 days if you all are interested? Or just one long post once I've hit all. No matter to me. I think this may actually be fun finding out!
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

30degreescelcius wrote:My recent going to the "gym" ventures always included a bottle or two of wine. Great arm work out :D

Seriously gotta get my mind out of the gutter :smt045
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I think going for a hike / bike ride in the forest is the best type of gym.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I have renamed the John to the Jim.

Now I can say I went to the Jim this morning and everyone thinks I went to the Gym. :smt045
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

30degreescelcius wrote:Lady, I like spin classes, Zumba and high energy stuff generally. Tried yoga a couple times but I didn't feel like I got a workout. Some of my gf's live by it, just not my thing. I'd like to try pilates just to say I did but seems like yoga to me.

My one gf was telling me last night she goes to Orange. While expensive, $100 per month, she says the classes and instructors are amazing. She looks amazing so she may be onto something.

After I get this first week of work under my belt, I'm going to hit all the gyms, 1 by 1 for their 3 free days, to get a feel for all. I'll post my result for each after the 3 days if you all are interested? Or just one long post once I've hit all. No matter to me. I think this may actually be fun finding out!

I would very much be interested in hearing your experiences :)

I had kind of forgotten about Oranj. Decent gym but out of my price range. I know there are a few others around, too, though I can't think of their names.

You might want to try specialty gyms as well, just for the experience. For example, pole fit offers a surprisingly good back/core workout http://okanaganpoledance.wix.com/okanaganpoledance and is a lot of fun to boot. :)

Try kickboxing here http://www.pttkelowna.com/ if you like high energy - though I have to warn you that hitting things is addictive. ;) There is a great group with great instructors there, no made-up divas slacking their way through classes.

I bet you will have tons of fun trying the gyms out, and I look forward to hearing your reviews!
Last edited by Lady tehMa on May 18th, 2016, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't failed until I quit.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Does anyone here go to the new Steve Nash/UFC gym? I am curious about the demographics of such a combo. Probably quite a younger crowd?

It wouldn't interest me in the least but then I go to a small private gym so I don't have to be around others. I understand that I am the one that is a less common type for "gym people".
You and 71 others Like this post
30degreescelcius

I've completed my first week of work. I've also found somewhere to live. So now I can concentrate on working out!

That said, I did stop by Global. Seems like a nice enough gym. Lots of room. $35 a month if on a corporate account but has to be 1 year sign up. Free sign up until May 31st. If month to month $65 a month.

I lucked out. The place I'm moving into has a full gym, sauna, hot tubs and pools! So while I may take advantage of a free week membership here and there, I'll be using the free one at home. Thanks again to all who reached out here. :D
richdubecki

Post by richdubecki »

I have been working out in Kelowna for over 10 years and been to almost all of the gyms. Each gym has their own pros and cons. This is my experience at the three bigger name gyms in town.

World Gym: The best part about this gym is the cost of a membership ($10/month). It is very cheap, however, you get what you pay for. There are also hidden fees so be careful before you sign yourself up there.

Global Fitness: This is a huge facility with tons of space and a lot of equipment (although most of it is very old). It has a dungeon feel to the gym which some people enjoy but it isn't for everyone. The air quality in the gym is poor. In the summer it is way too warm and in the winter it is way too cold. The staff is friendly which is a bonus. There is also an annual club fee.

GoodLife Fitness: This is where I currently workout... It is one of the cleanest gyms in town with tons of natural light and clean air. The equipment is all new and they try their best to stay on top of repairs. The group fitness studio is huge and the trainers are all very knowledgeable. Also, it is open 24/7 which is great on the weekends when most other gyms close early. No extra fees!!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

I also have been at all 3 gyms, I would say you are 100% correct
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

Return to “Referrals”