Local Service Referrals

Business and professional recommendations.
mmt

Local Service Referrals

Post by mmt »

Hi Guys,

Hello from a newbie to all :D

Please BEAR with all my questions :D

We're moving from Vancouver to Dilworth Mtn area in mid August and want to ask referral for small home reno guy and lawn care service . And how is their rate for yearly care incl mowing every 3 weeks, weed care and fertilizing? I love gardening but lawn is not my area :biggrin:

And I'm a hand crafter and want to learn painting/wood working/upholstering either in paid courses or in-house training as a co-worker? where can I take?

Are snakes really there? Where should we be careful about them?

Can't wait to connect with you locals and will be joining meetup groups too.
M :)
Graham Adder
Guru

Re: Local Service Referrals

Post by Graham Adder »

I've never heard of anyone local that teaches or trains upholstery.
Woodworking you can learn at college/university, but if you're just wanting to learn for hobby sake, you might be out of luck finding anyone to train you. There used to be a fellow in Lake Country that ran a small teaching/building furniture thing, but demand wasn't there and he set it adrift.
Have you got a place to set up tools? Perhaps just having a place will open doors for you to invite a neigbor in to teach you a few things.
The number of lawn care places around is staggering. Do your phoning around to check rates and consider asking neighbors who they use, so you might get in on a group deal and not have to pay travel time for lawn care.
There are snakes.
Most of what you'll see here are garter snakes. Not venomous. Not large.
Second most common I think would be the gopher snake. Large snake that looks much like a rattle snake but no rattle and no venom. Much more docile than a rattler, but will still bite if provoked.
Lastly is the rattler.
Walk heavy.
I'm large and walk heavy. In all my 22 years of living here I've only seen two rattle snakes and both of them were gone slithering into rocks before I could get a good look. Me thinks they're not worth the worry. I cover a lot of trails in a season here, so it's not that I don't get out.

I'd be more concerned over twisting an ankle on a trail than encountering a rattler.
That said, learn a bit about how to avoid them and what to do in case...and you'll be fine.

Black widows on the other hand...
They go for the jugular.
Their web is stronger than steel, and they know it.
They are to be feared...greatly.

just kidding
mmt

Post by mmt »

Thanks so much Graham Adder! I thought it was hopeless after a long time no one response, :biggrin:

I also found a series of Utube DYI link and been hooked up with that too :130:

Finding group deal for lawn care seems genius, will follow that.

How nice to know about snakies too! I just always happen to run into them wherever ppl say they exist in the area.
M
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

As GA said there are lots of Lawn care outfits in Kelowna. You will need more than once every 3 weeks, more like weekly.
When you get here give Hummingbird Lawn care a call, if you don't find one from talking to your neighbors.
You could always try some local upholstery shops and see if they would help you learn.
My wife was born and raised here and claims to have never seen a live Rattle snake.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You sound like a positive person so welcome in advance.

There are upholstery shops where you may be able to "intern" but no classes as far as I know.

Tons O lawn car available but if it's just the grass you want help with, I'll bet there is a neighbor with a 13 year old boy who can/will do it for you and yes, weekly is necessary as it grows quickly here.

Rattlers are actually in abundance in certain parts but you don't tend too see them a lot but they do let you know when you're getting to close.

Lots of wildlife in the DW area but it's very nice and you'll enjoy it I'm sure.

Widows are also fairly common but all you need is some common sense when you're digging around stuff in the yard or the basement. They're pretty skittish and really are more afraid of you than you should be of them..

Again, welcome.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Unless you have a Zero Scape lawn you are going to have to have it cut far more than once every three weeks. I have to take an inch or two off of my lawn every week. Cutting more than 1/3 of the new growth off of the grass will set the grass back each time you do it.

I hire one adult experienced person to do my trees and shrubs sprin, summer and fall. Banford Pruning and Maintenance is an owner operator horticulturist who does an excellent job; 250-469-0684 or http://www.branfordpruning.com but I do not know if he is taking any new customers right now.

I hired a student to do my lawn as often as required. She lives nearby, needs the money and has an excellent work ethic but I live in SE Kelowna. She offered to do the lawn for $20.00 but gets $40.00 each cutting, including putting it in the recycle bin which is likely the going rate for commercial lawn cutters. It all depends on the size of the lawn.

Welcome aboard.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jul 10th, 2016, 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Donald G
Buddha of the Board

Post by Donald G »

Hi Guys,

Hello from a newbie to all :D

Please BEAR with all my questions

If you listen to what Bman said that you did not hear because of the wind you should make out O.K.
mmt

Post by mmt »

Thanks so much you all! make sure to enjoy every day of summer!!! :D

Return to “Referrals”