Temp Agencies

Business and professional recommendations.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Re: Temp Agencies

Post by sooperphreek »

"Even Steven"WCB isn't really that much so not a huge benefit. Temp agencies are good when you have work lined up to wazoo but you're shortstaffed unexpectedly. It's not a good long term solution though - their employees will never have the dedication and quality of work of regular staff. Also, they can only do basic things and only under supervision. But in a pinch they do help.

But some of them are so bad you look at them and say "...and that's why you can't find regular employment"

TreeGuy wrote:WCB isn't really that much? We obviously dont work in the same industry! LOL
I pay almost 10% and that is being claim free!

different industries pay different amounts. construction is one of the higher ones. roofing in think is the higher end. depends on how much risk is associated with the job.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

sooperphreek wrote:different industries pay different amounts. construction is one of the higher ones. roofing in think is the higher end. depends on how much risk is associated with the job.

Like other forms of insurance it is also based on the number of claims and how much they have to pay out.

The Arboriculture industry is one of the most dangerous professions and not only has many injuries but also many deaths. Hence why I pay crazy WCB rates.

http://news.nationalpost.com/toronto/how-cutting-down-trees-can-be-one-of-the-most-dangerous-jobs-you-can-get-in-a-city
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

Even Steven wrote:I've used Express Employment on Springfield. I believe their billing amount was around $18/hour. It's a bit like a lottery, sometimes you get somebody who is willing to work hard, and sometimes are useless dummies who I had to send home half an hour into their "work".

Interesting. Is that in addition to what Express Employment would be paying the temporary worker or does the temporary worker's rate come out of that? If the latter, that doesn't allow much of a profit between a likely a $13-14 rate they'd have to pay the worker, in lieu of vacation pay. :)

Cheers,
Doug
forumdoug
Übergod

Post by forumdoug »

TreeGuy wrote:WCB isn't really that much? We obviously dont work in the same industry! LOL

I pay almost 10% and that is being claim free!

Wow, that seems high! I thought WCB rates ranged from anywhere from $1.10 to in the low to mid $2 range per hour of work per employee. :)

What industry is your business in, TreeGuy, and is this a business you manage, own or both?

PM me if you don't want to reveal the name of your business or industry publicly. :)

Cheers,
Doug
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

forumdoug wrote:Interesting. Is that in addition to what Express Employment would be paying the temporary worker or does the temporary worker's rate come out of that? If the latter, that doesn't allow much of a profit between a likely a $13-14 rate they'd have to pay the worker, in lieu of vacation pay. :)

The $18/hour includes everything. They pay their workers between $11/hour and $12/hour. Rest goes towards their expenses (office, staff, WCB, etc.) and some profit I assume. They also provide other services such as finding employees, office workers replacements, etc. On these services I'd think the profit margins are higher.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

The rates that are charged vary depending on the skill set required of the employee.

In general terms, I've found that the charged rate is wage + 50%.

That 50% includes CPP, EI, vacation pay, stat pay, WCB, and what's left is the gross margin.

CPP is 5%, EI is 2%, vacation pay is 4%, stat pay is 4%, WCB would average about 5% for labour positions. So, adding those up is 20%, which leaves about 30% for the temp agency to cover its overhead and profit margin which isn't that much.

I've had some great workers from temp agencies that I ended up offering full time positions to, and a few duds. Overall, my experience has been positive with the local agency I've dealt with.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

phasyluck wrote:Yes 14 an hour gets ya by in Kelowna haha....NOT!! Sadly some people would rather play the system for what they can get and work just enough to look like go getters.

it is more than a temp agency pays
jetty1965
Board Meister

Post by jetty1965 »

I'll pass this on to my son. He's out of town right now. But he's done similar work and currently out of work.
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

I have worked for Platinum Personnell before and I really enjoyed it. They had me working almost full time while I was career hunting for something permanent. I thought their screening process was excellent, and it was evident the people that were good workers were given first priority for upcoming jobs.

Return to “Referrals”