Any Honda Mechanics out there?

Business and professional recommendations.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Any Honda Mechanics out there?

Post by gardengirl »

I am having a problem with my 2002 CRV ignition/starter. Wondering if it could be a fuse. I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Bleach
Fledgling

Re: Any Honda Mechanics out there?

Post by Bleach »

could you describe the problem in more detail? Is the car auto or manual?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It could be any number of things. From googling some suggestions are. Ignition switch, starter solonoid, starter motor, a bad wire in that system somewhere. The position switch on the transmission. (try putting the car in neutral and see if it will start)
Etc.

Good luck but I think you will need a good mechanic.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bleach wrote:could you describe the problem in more detail? Is the car auto or manual?

2002 Honda CRV. Automatic trans.

Turn the key but starter does not engage. The headlights, dash lights, radio, doors chimes, all work fine. Lights bright, chimes sound right, signals work. I can hear the fuel pump when I turn the key. Starter does not grind, click, nothing.
I took off the battery connections, scrubbed with baking soda and a wire brush. Reattached, nothing. Hooked up trickle charger, battery reads 50%. Changed charger to "Start" setting, nothing. Turned charger back to trickle, left over night, nada.
Checked the car was properly in park, nada. Tried to start it in neutral, nada.

Now I am pretty sure it is something to do with the starter. When I turn the key on, the lights come on, when I try to start, the lights dim which tells me it is drawing power.
I have had a problem with the ignition switch before, but I think the symptoms were different.
I don't know much more than that. The starter has not been grinding or anything that would indicate the brushes are shot. .
(If I remember what my dad taught me.) There is no whirring, nothing from the starter at all
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

if you can see the starter, there is a smaller wire on it. if you can check if it has 12v to it when you "start" it. test light, or multi meter. if so, grab a hammer and tap the starter with the butt of the hammer. WITH some one holding the key in the start.

if it starts, starter is shot. if no power to the small wire, then wiring or bad ignition switch.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Bleach wrote:if you can see the starter, there is a smaller wire on it. if you can check if it has 12v to it when you "start" it. test light, or multi meter. if so, grab a hammer and tap the starter with the butt of the hammer. WITH some one holding the key in the start.

if it starts, starter is shot. if no power to the small wire, then wiring or bad ignition switch.

Thanks. Will probably try that tomorrow in daylight. The starter is not visible from the top as you would need to remove the intake manifold. Will try to get to it from underneath the car. (I wish I had a creeper.)
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Bsuds wrote:It could be any number of things. From googling some suggestions are. Ignition switch, starter solonoid, starter motor, a bad wire in that system somewhere. The position switch on the transmission. (try putting the car in neutral and see if it will start)
Etc.

Good luck but I think you will need a good mechanic.

I've seen this way too many times to not try it first. Also, try wiggling the sifter lever around in P and N.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

So any update? The curious want to know.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Got a new starter. I went to Do All Automotive on Ross Rd. They were great.

Return to “Referrals”