Getting a Freezer: Chest or Upright?

Business and professional recommendations.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Getting a Freezer: Chest or Upright?

Post by Lady tehMa »

My freezer died. Fortunately right now the deck works just fine, with coolers to keep the critters out.

So now I'm wondering, should I go with another chest freezer or are the newer uprights any good? My grandmother had an old upright from the early 70's, and when it died my mother-in-law gave me her '80's freezer.

Straight up disclaimer, I will not be buying new. Not an option. I've been checking out the place in Rutland (OK Trading and AAA Appliance, I think?) and Eric's Refrigeration. Considering the Castanet classifieds. There's a newish upright there, and a chest freezer or two that could work.

I'd love to hear your thoughts. As always, pm me the bad business reviews so we don't upset the mods. :smt045
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Getting a Freezer: Chest or Upright?

Post by Bsuds »

We have both. The upright we use for meat because we use a shelf for different meats. Beef, pork, chicken, as it's easier to find and doesn't migrate to the bottom like a chest freezer. We use that one for bulk stuff with containers so we can lift out to get at the lower stuff. Advantages and disadvantages to both.

You don't get as much in an upright so there is a bit more wasted space.
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

We prefer the upright freezer. As stated stuff doesn't migrate to the bottom to be
forgotten.
Upright is far easier to keep organized and periodically, re- organized.
One can pretty much see what you have, what you want, and what you need without digging around with the door/lid open
for extended periods of time.
Also (for me with some physical set-backs, I don't have to be bent over digging for things
Upright, everything is on shelves, fully adjustable. They also take up less floor space.
We now have cabinets above and to each side as pantry space.
Way more stuff in the same foot-print.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

For all those reasons I too would like an up right freezer.

My dad had a huge old fashioned freezer. He eventually got ill and was not able to dig stuff out from the bottom. But he never told anyone. So we found all kinds of good cuts of meat at the bottom. Fortunately we could still cook it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

When our chest died we got an upright and it's so easy to keep organized.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
racewife
Board Meister

Post by racewife »

Definitely the upright. Everything is so easy to see at a glance.

Return to “Referrals”