Career counseling?

Business and professional recommendations.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Career counseling?

Post by MCB »

Does anyone have experience with, or recommend anywhere local or semi-local that focuses on providing career counseling? The reason I ask is that I've been having a hard go trying to track down an apprenticeship (I finished up a foundation course last March and while it could be my imagination, companies across the province seem reluctant to hire apprentices be it the economy or otherwise?) and would gladly welcome any input in doing so...or anyone that can shed some light really.

Thanks in advance! :up:
Bleach
Fledgling

Re: Career counseling?

Post by Bleach »

what pre-app did you get? It's very hard to get a apprenticeship, or someone to let you in the door. I am going too school for a mechanical pre-app course, but I have been working in a shop for 6+ months.

To get the job, I volunteered a day or two each week for a month or two, in advance of quitting my full time job at the time.
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Industrial Mechanic/Millwrighting.

I come from a steel fab/welding background so figured that would help me branch into something new since the trade are somewhat related, but there isn't much out there.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

MCB wrote:Does anyone have experience with, or recommend anywhere local or semi-local that focuses on providing career counseling?

Castanet forums.
Sorry. I had to.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

My advice is to learn as much as you can about the trade before you look for employment.
Many are reluctant to hire a first year- they get a bunch of training into them just for one of the two parties to realize it's not going to work out.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

MCB wrote:Industrial Mechanic/Millwrighting.

I come from a steel fab/welding background so figured that would help me branch into something new since the trade are somewhat related, but there isn't much out there.

This place is a small town for that kind of jobs, I bet employers here only after people that have 10 years under their belt. Have you looked if there is any outlining city's that have openings in the field your after?

Or try my trick.

Return to “Referrals”