New to Kelowna from Edmonton

Business and professional recommendations.
LunaVC

New to Kelowna from Edmonton

Post by LunaVC »

Some advice

- where to go to register my vehicle
- register for healthcare

Anything else I have forgotten?

Thank you
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: New to Kelowna from Edmonton

Post by kgcayenne »

In regards to licencing your vehicle, you will also need to get your BC Driver’s Licence.

Driver’s Licence:
http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing/mo ... ience.aspx
Contact the issuer of your driver's licence to get an official driving record or letter of experience. It's best to do this before moving to B.C.
What your driving record or letter of experience must include
* the name, address and phone number of the driver's licensing authority in your jurisdiction
* your name and birth date
* your driver's licence number (or other unique identifier)
* class of licence(s) held
* either the date(s) your licence(s) were originally issued or the amount of time you have held a licence, and
note the two years' of non-learner driving experience to be exempt from the graduated licensing program (GLP), if any.

--------------------------------

Vehicle:
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registratio ... -B-C-.aspx
before the vehicle can be registered in B.C., in most cases you'll need:
* the vehicle's current registration
* the Certificate of Title if your vehicle is from Nova Scotia
* a "passed" vehicle inspection report from a designated inspection facility in B.C.
* required ID, and
* a signed and dated bill of sale, if the vehicle is not registered in your name. (Sometimes a vehicle registration document, signed by the registered owner of the vehicle and naming you as the new owner, is acceptable instead.)
To register, license and insure the vehicle, bring these documents to an Autoplan broker.[/quote]

Additionally:
you're bringing a vehicle to B.C. from Alberta or Saskatchewan
under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement, qualified private vehicles imported from Alberta or Saskatchewan may be exempt from the BC pre-registration safety inspection.
The vehicle owner must be:

a new or returning to B.C. resident, and
the same owner(s) in the previous jurisdiction making the application for registration in B.C.

The vehicle must have:
* been registered in Alberta or Saskatchewan immediately prior to being imported to B.C. and
* privately owned or leased by an individual(s) and not a company.

Any of the following vehicle must be 3,500 kg or less:

* passenger vehicle
* commercial vehicle or
* motorhome

The model year of the vehicle must be either:

* four years old (current year inclusive) or less; for example in 2016, vehicle model released in 2016 (year 1), 2015 (year 2), 2014 (year 3), 2013 (year 4), or
* five years old or more and must have passed a provincial vehicle safety inspection in the previous jurisdiction within the last 90 days.

Please ask your Autoplan broker for details.

---------------------------

Here is a handy checklist:
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registratio ... cklist.pdf

-------------------------------------------
BC Medical:
I don’t think we have an office here in the Valley any more. I am probably wrong about that. Everything appears to be available online:
http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/healt ... w-to-enrol

Edited to add: If you have a fantastic driving record, your insurance premiums stand a good chance at being lower than in AB, if you have had some 'issues' driving, you will pay substantially more.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Found this which may be of interest:
https://www.scribd.com/document/3069634 ... uide-to-BC
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LunaVC wrote:Some advice

- where to go to register my vehicle
- register for healthcare

Anything else I have forgotten?

Thank you

Did you "Bring Cash"? BC stands for Bring Cash, not that other meaning like British Columbia.

Living here can be more expensive, I hope you found getting a place to live was reasonable for you. Buy or rent.

Lots of activities going on here, whatever your interests are.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Make finding a family Doctor high on your priority list. Contact Interior Health to obtain a list of GPs that are accepting new patients. Otherwise you will be spending a lot of time at clinics.
I hope that you have a great time exploring all that the Okanagan has to offer. Cliques are really big here, choose wisely. Don't over-indulge on the fresh cherries your 1st season here, you will be sorry.
Drive cautiously and with all care and attention. You may be a good driver, but there are many around you that are not.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

w84u2 wrote:Make finding a family Doctor high on your priority list. Contact Interior Health to obtain a list of GPs that are accepting new patients.

According to their website there are none.

https://www.cpsbc.ca/physician_search?f ... e2055eee=8
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!

Return to “Referrals”