Driving the Coq!

Business and professional recommendations.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: Driving the Coq!

Post by GordonH »

Weather on the Coq from my own experience can change very quickly, best to have winters (snowflake ones) on.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bleach
Fledgling

Post by Bleach »

How about HWY 3? it can be heck of a lot better the the Coq. Are the M+S tires new or 4 years old and close to worn out?
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Highway 3 can be horrendous during a snowstorm. You are still climbing up into mountain passes, but on single lane roads between cliff faces above and lakes and rivers below. In really bad conditions, the driving time can be two or three times longer than the Coquihalla. The Coq is better maintained and if you do get into trouble, there is lots of traffic up there. Hwy 3 can be a lonely place in winter.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Highway 3 can be horrendous during a snowstorm. You are still climbing up into mountain passes, but on single lane roads between cliff faces above and lakes and rivers below. In really bad conditions, the driving time can be two or three times longer than the Coquihalla. The Coq is better maintained and if you do get into trouble, there is lots of traffic up there. Hwy 3 can be a lonely place in winter.
pepecat
Board Meister

Post by pepecat »

Whichever route you choose, having snow-rated tires can make the difference between a good trip or a nightmare at this time of year.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

If time is not an issue & you want to avoid mountain passes.

Kelowna to Kamloops via Falkland then Trans-Canada/Fraser Canyon to Vancouver

You will still have to deal with snow
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Went to Vegas a few years back, arrived back into Vancouver 1st May had truck with summers on (stupid i know) and when we got onto connector weather starts to deteriorate and by the time we got closer to Penask it was a whiteout and i was driving with my cheeks well clenched.
Also had an accident 10 years back on connector coming back from thanksgiving in October with all seasons and hit black ice on a bridge deck. Prior to that roads and weather had been great.

Never underestimate those highways whatever time of year it is and don't listen to bad advice on here.
boxman180
Fledgling

Post by boxman180 »

Just wanted to give an update. The tentative plan is to still go but looking outside today in Kelowna my confidence is dwindling. Forecasts for Hope and Merrit by this Saturday (2 days before we go) is rain and highs of +8. We will be driving starting out at 2 pm Monday from Kelowna. Then we come back on the Thursday at about 2 pm from Richmond. Our tires are M+S and a year old. Even if we had actual snowflake rated tires would we be that much better off?
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

boxman180 wrote:Just wanted to give an update. The tentative plan is to still go but looking outside today in Kelowna my confidence is dwindling. Forecasts for Hope and Merrit by this Saturday (2 days before we go) is rain and highs of +8. We will be driving starting out at 2 pm Monday from Kelowna. Then we come back on the Thursday at about 2 pm from Richmond. Our tires are M+S and a year old. Even if we had actual snowflake rated tires would we be that much better off?

The more you stress the worse it's going to seem!

I took at the highway cams and the roads all look pretty well clear/driven right now. I hadn't heard of any significant snow expected past this weekend, so I think you're looking good for tomorrow, especially mid afternoon.

https://weather.gc.ca/forecast/public_b ... pcn68.cwvr This doesn't even include a measure of snow beyond "flurries". If you look below there are some highways where they'll denote snowfall and it seems to be after 2cm.

I've been driving these highways for about 7-8 years now and many, many times in rental vehicles that only come with M&S tires. Think an early 20-something girl from Ontario who'd never seen a mountain pass in her life with a front wheel drive car and all seasons. That was me. You don't seem like the type of thinks winter tires make you invincible, so as long as you take you're time you'll be alright.

And as they say in BC "if you don't like the weather, wait till this afternoon".
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

boxman180 wrote:I have a work trip March 7th in Vancouver. I'm driving the Coquihola but I only have tires with the M+S symbol on them. I talked to a long haul truck driver I know and he didn't think it would be a problem. What are your thoughts?

You'll be fine. M+S tires are fine for highway travel in BC, even on the over dramatized Coquihalla.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

40 cm of snow to fall on Coq, if anyone heading to the coast take a different route. It may take longer in ideal conditions, but why risk it on the Coq
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

boxman180 wrote:I have a work trip March 7th in Vancouver. I'm driving the Coquihola but I only have tires with the M+S symbol on them. I talked to a long haul truck driver I know and he didn't think it would be a problem. What are your thoughts?

They also need to have at least 3.5 mm of tread.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/trans ... nter-tires
So I saw a bumper sticker today that said, I'm a Veterinarian so I drive like an animal.
I suddenly realised how many Proctologists are on the road!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You know full well someone is bundling up the kids right now to go on their snow camping trip.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Referrals”