Roofing

Business and professional recommendations.
Bubalouie
Guru

Roofing

Post by Bubalouie »

I know it's not the right time of year quite yet but does anyone know if the tin/metal roof is cheaper to do than shingles?
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Roofing

Post by kelownman »

This seems to be a good source, although it is directed at the american consumer.

http://www.homeadvisor.com/cost/roofing/

Capture.JPG
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

We went metal.

Close to double the cost but it will last forever, it looks good.

Very low slope so very little option.

Forum member MAPearce is the resident expert on all things roof .
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Good thing I looked here today ..

Tin is more expensive , but its not a forever thing.. Nothing is .

Materials are more expensive and so is the labour to install it . It has it's advantages over shingles though..

Ready for me to come up there babaluie ?
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Pretty soon, yup, my other question for y'all is, we know someone that works in the industry and can probably get the shingles at his cost, is there any companies out there that would be ok with that or is it always an all in deal?
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Bubalouie wrote:Pretty soon, yup, my other question for y'all is, we know someone that works in the industry and can probably get the shingles at his cost, is there any companies out there that would be ok with that or is it always an all in deal?

The profits are in the labour. Try Roof Center for your shingles.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

As I said, know someone in that part of the bus. and can get the shingles at cost from him which is less than anywhere else, what I'm wondering though will roofing companies be ok with that or raise their costs, (labour) to compensate for not getting the whole deal.
w84u2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by w84u2 »

Bubalouie wrote:As I said, know someone in that part of the bus. and can get the shingles at cost from him which is less than anywhere else, what I'm wondering though will roofing companies be ok with that or raise their costs, (labour) to compensate for not getting the whole deal.

I don't know that answer, but my guess would be yes. You could always approach the installers and offer them a private weekend job. The only problem with that is that they won't have use of the company truck or tools and be able to remove the waste. There will also be no warranty.
Computers allow people to make more mistakes in less time than anything since the invention of tequila and automatic weapons.
slootman
Übergod

Post by slootman »

Is a simple roof something a DIY'er could replace or is it more hassle than it's worth?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Metal roofs will last forever. As in 50+ years. No problem (though you might want to check once in a while for screws that back out). HOWEVER, the paint does not last forever. It's one of the reasons why metal roofs are not allowed in many neighbourhoods including my own. A metal roof is only cheaper if you plan on living in the place or 40 or 50 years.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

it's a simple roof to do but not something we can do, and yes, metal is good if you're gonna be there 40 to 50 years and won't be.
Also neighbors did their own and had one heck of a time getting insurance because do it yourself, warranty, etc.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bubalouie wrote:As I said, know someone in that part of the bus. and can get the shingles at cost from him which is less than anywhere else, what I'm wondering though will roofing companies be ok with that or raise their costs, (labour) to compensate for not getting the whole deal.

It wouldn't bother me at all .. In fact , when I put roofs on for my friends they pay for the material and roof top delivery up front , pay for the disposal ( roll off bin) and pay me agreed upon rate when I'm done and they're satisfied .. Roofing companies however want to provide the material. That way they can over measure the roof , charge for the extra material AND labour AND dump fees and pocket the difference in the end ..

I doubt you'll have any luck finding a company that will install customer supplied material for that reason . You might want to talk to your friend in the business about him/her doing the roof .. If insurance is an issue , you can always hire a licenced inspector after the work is done and have them "pass" the work..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Thanks MA, thought that would be the answer and the friend that can get the shingles at cost can't do the job, so guess we'll just get some estimates and go from there.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Be wary of roofers not using butyl tape on low slope metal applications, I've seen it so many times.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Bubalouie wrote:Thanks MA, thought that would be the answer and the friend that can get the shingles at cost can't do the job, so guess we'll just get some estimates and go from there.

Any time Buba... Let me know if I can help.

If you still have the Feb 17 issue of the Capital News kicking around , read Hodges Yearly Best Of list.

Perhaps one valid reference ...

Return to “Referrals”