Auto detailing

Business and professional recommendations.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Auto detailing

Post by vegas1500 »

GoStumpy wrote:By the way, this is the paint on my Cadillac that has previously been X-Koted...
(This photo is after some polishing that would usually make the paint look fantastic... not this time.)

Ruined. I can no longer polish this car to look great, it will forever be splotchy. I am going to try using a rotary polisher and heavy compounds to attempt to remove it without removing too much surrounding clearcoat, but it is a very risky thing to do.
That's the problem with X-Kote, you apply it and it looks good right now, but omg, it absolutely RUINS the car unless you continue to reapply it. There's no more just wax and polish. It looks like :cuss: :cuss: :cuss: :cuss:

Not sure what happened to yours but I could show you many examples of completely opposite. I personally have polished my friends BMW that was done and it looks like new more than 5 years later with multiple polishes a year.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

I've seen 4 examples up close all that ended up like my Cadillac :(
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I had my F350 done 7 years ago and it still looks good and I'm glad I had it done. I guess I'm the exception.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Bsuds wrote:I had my F350 done 7 years ago and it still looks good and I'm glad I had it done. I guess I'm the exception.

No you're not..I have seen probably 100 examples....he must be the exception.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

At the end of the day it wears off eventually, could be 3,5,10 years... and when it does it looks like crap. It' has its place but it is the worst thing to put on anything remotely nice and new.. ceramic coatings are 10x as good and don't cost any more. But they aren't a wipe on bandaid, they are put on properly polished paint so your car is actually polished clean and protected, not wiped on with a self-levelling clear coat that can fail. This may just be my two cents but it is echoed by anybody who knows anything about paint protection in the automotive industry. Sorry that's just the honest truth.
Disclaimer: My posts may contain honesty. May not be suitable for all audiences.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

GoStumpy wrote:At the end of the day it wears off eventually, could be 3,5,10 years... and when it does it looks like crap. It' has its place but it is the worst thing to put on anything remotely nice and new.. ceramic coatings are 10x as good and don't cost any more. But they aren't a wipe on bandaid, they are put on properly polished paint so your car is actually polished clean and protected, not wiped on with a self-levelling clear coat that can fail. This may just be my two cents but it is echoed by anybody who knows anything about paint protection in the automotive industry. Sorry that's just the honest truth.

Which ceramic coating do you recommend...have been looking at them for my new truck.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
GoStumpy
Lord of the Board

Post by GoStumpy »

vegas1500 wrote:
Which ceramic coating do you recommend...have been looking at them for my new truck.

I only have experience with System X by Element 119.. https://www.element119.com/system-x.html

Return to “Referrals”