Considering a move to Joe Rich - info requested!

Business and professional recommendations.
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Re: considering a move to Joe Rich - info requested!

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The flooding only affects a small percentage of the population... Are you thinking near the creek ?
There is a lot of Atv and side by side owners, some hang out together a lot, and are content to not go to town often.
Two members of our family lived up there, when they had children in school and they were involved in any sports or other activities, they found themselves driving up and down more times than they wanted..up to four times a day.
Yes be careful on that highway, I think some like to avoid it when the skiers are coming back at night.
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Considering a move to Joe Rich - info requested!

Post by LTD »

the highway is the only negative thing about living in grow rich it can get pretty foggy and icy in the winter months
Iamsomeone
Fledgling

Post by Iamsomeone »

wsho wrote:
We're also curious what type of people live in JR. Do they tend to be long-time residents? Do their values tend towards conservative or liberal? Are the people more group-oriented or private? Are the demographics young, middle-aged, or older? Are people happy with services in general? (Emergency services, phone/internet, road maintenance, etc.)

You can get some of that info from looking at listings on realtor.ca under the "neighbourhood" tab. I just picked a random listing in Joe Rich to show you what I mean:
https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/Sing ... e-Rich#v=n

I don't live in Joe Rich but have heard before that they may have water issues out there. You may want to check out where their water comes from.

Best of luck. Hope you find your dream home!
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

Well wsho, I might be able to answer some of your questions.

Been living up here in The Rich for 25+ years.

Raised a family up here...loved it when we first moved here and love it still, even more to this day.

I can't imagine wanting to live anywhere else now.

We have livestock and farm...were once very involved in the Community but no so much anymore.

Joe Rich is a GREAT place but like many rural areas is not everyone's cup of tea.

People seem to either come here and stay for a long time or stay for a year or two and then move back into town.

There are some families up here, I won't mention names cause I don't think its proper, that have been

here for generations. Many of these folks are some of my dearest friends and they are part of the reason

why I love this area. Some of them attended school at the little old school house by the main Fire Hall up here.

Then then later went to school at the little old school house in Black Mountain. These families were some

of the first settlers up here and some have remained and continue to raise families up here.

Depending on where you choose to live there are different areas of concern to be aware of.

Yes, the highway can be a trial in the snowy winter months, but then so can the roads in town.

Living up here you have to be prepared to sometimes, 'live without' or 'get by on what you have' for a few days.

That is not a regular thing but it can and does happen. The idea of running to town to get a jug of milk involves

a fifteen or more minute drive...that gets tiresome after a while.

You quickly learn during ski season to avoid the hwy between 8:30 to 10:00 am and 3:00 to 6:00 pm on

weekends and during the holidays.

Flooding, as 60 Years shared, affects only a small percentage up here...mostly those near or around the creek areas.

The bigger water concern for most up here is having enough of it!

Most properties are on single well service and it's VITAL that you make sure you have adequate water supply ALL YEAR!

Forest fires are a concern as well during the dry summer/fall season...that a cyclical thing.

We can go for years without worries and then we get a few years of dry, dry, dry.

Folks up here are as others have shared...either social or not so social. For the most part, folks let folks

be whatever they are most comfortable being.

The JR Community groups are active and a lot of fun...lots to do and be part of.

Skating and Hockey, Painting, Yoga, Cooking, Kids Club, Equine Group...there are Community Dinners and Potlucks...

...quite quaint and down to earth.

Now, there are some 'different' folks up here that sometimes new residents are concerned about.

Pretty much every community has a "quirky Harold/Harriet" or two or three...Joe Rich has a few. lol

They are good peoples just a little 'different'....those folks are usually home bodies and don't get out much.

Hence the 'quirky' part...not socializing with polite society or taken a regular bath can do that to a body...LOL :up:

ONLY KIDDING!!!!!

What else would you like to know?

There are other Joe Richers on the forum who will prolly respond when they get home from work or come in

after doing chores. They will have different comments and ideas than I do...lol...

that's part of a Joe Richers make up. :biggrin:

We can be standin' in the same spot lookin' at the same darned blamed blue sky and

my fool neighbour will tell me it's grey...lol :130:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
Barney Google
Lord of the Board

Post by Barney Google »

I think we must have scared the OP off and if we did, I'm sorry for that. :200:
“Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That way if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away and barefoot. ”
- Unknown
wsho2

Post by wsho2 »

Not at all - but for some reason this thread got moved, plus my post got deleted. :(

I can't remember what I wrote now, but thanks so much for the information. We're definitely still interested in the area!

Return to “Referrals”