Raccoons?

Business and professional recommendations.
Ktown girl

Raccoons?

Post by Ktown girl »

How does one get rid of raccoons......saw a mother and smaller ones crawling and prob living under my deck?
any advice is helpful
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Re: RACCOONS?

Post by Symbonite »

How old are the babies because you may not be able to do anything for awhile.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/envir ... s/raccoons

Orrrr get them when no one is watching...
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Raccoons are protected species. not much you can do until they are older and I suspect they will move on. Perhaps live trap and re-locate is allowed. Wife had to get a trapper to move the raccoons and babies years ago in Penticton. She was concerned because of her dog and cats. A protective moma raccoon can be a nasty piece of business. Just listened to CBC Almanac today and the topic of pests and the question of Raccoons came up as a lady and her dog were attacked by one.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Symbonite wrote:How old are the babies because you may not be able to do anything for awhile.

http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/envir ... s/raccoons

Orrrr get them when no one is watching...

interesting they advocate the use of an electric fence around your yard. Is that legal?
Loki2u
Board Meister

Post by Loki2u »

Get a pet cougar. problem solved.
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Ktown girl wrote:How does one get rid of raccoons......saw a mother and smaller ones crawling and prob living under my deck?
any advice is helpful

Those @#$@ things eat ALL of my plums! I put my cats outside to keep them away, but they still just stay around eating the plums.

P.S. Aren't they an invasive species?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

See if you can determine when they are not "home" and screen off the deck. I have heard that mothballs will make them move on. A live trap will not catch the whole family and may leave you babies to deal with. I have had them move into our roof and garage, they moved on their own. If you can get pictures of the babies you will enjoy them, they are about the cutest things in the world.
However they are dangerous vermin and should be treated that way.
Black Dogs Matter
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Glacier wrote:Those @#$@ things eat ALL of my plums! I put my cats outside to keep them away, but they still just stay around eating the plums.

Careful with your cats. If they corner the raccoon the cat will face retaliation with Fire (I mean claws) and fury unlike anything the world has ever seen before.
Bubalouie
Guru

Re: Raccoons?

Post by Bubalouie »

Friend has 4 of them in the neighborhood, 2 are little ones, they are always in their yard at night knocking over lights, etc.
They sleep under the one neighbor's shed and the other neighbor leaves cat food out for them and the ferral cats. They say there is a "HUGE" pile of s**t right next to their yard. The neighbor's who have the shed they sleep under don't want to board it up or do anything so they are getting frustrated. Anyone know where there is a cougar that we can lend them, :biggrin:
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

^^
We too have a neighbour who leaves out food, feels sorry for racoons, stray cats.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There is some stuff at places like Buckerfields that you put out and the Raccoons don't like the smell.
We have a low deck and had a Raccoon looking to set up house under it earlier this year. I put this stuff out and when the Raccoon was not under the deck I put wire mesh over all the places it could gain access. It hung around for a few days trying to find another spot to nest in but finally left.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

The vermin started coming up on our deck to rummage through our bin on the deck we keep some recycle stuff in before we take it to the larger blue bin downstairs by the garage. One evening while watching the idiot box the wife casually glances glances over at the french doors and she is getting the stare down from rocky raccoon. She shrieks causing me to nearly spill my cake n ice cream. That upset me more than anything. They still frequent the yard periodically. Cougar for rent anywhere ?
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

just popping in, you must live in the same hood as my friend, sounds like the same people
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Get a medium size rubbermaid container.
Cut some holes in the lid.
Put rags or a couple old towel in the container.
Pour 1 litre of ammonia in/on the rags and cover with the top.
If you can identify where they enter your yard, or your problem
area.............that where to place the container.

We did it. It worked. They are gone
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Glacier wrote:Those @#$@ things eat ALL of my plums! I put my cats outside to keep them away, but they still just stay around eating the plums.

I think the Plums are native and not invasive.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Referrals”