New Career Options

Business and professional recommendations.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

New Career Options

Post by gardengirl »

I am looking at taking the Occupational Health and Safety Program through Distance Learning at OUC.
Does anyone here have any experience with it? How was it? What were your job prospects like?

I am also looking into becoming a call taker with the RCMP. Any one out there know anything about it?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: New Career Options

Post by just popping in »

This article might assist you in call taker.

https://www.ecomm911.ca/join-our-team/9 ... takers.php
Snickerdoodle
Board Meister

Post by Snickerdoodle »

I was a 911 Call Taker / Dispatch for a bit - extremely rewarding career but not for everyone. If your okay at being sworn, screamed and yelled at, dealing with humans in extreme trauma (like finding their child just killed themselves, or taking a call from a 5 year old that wants daddy to stop hitting mummy) and not knowing the ending of the saga, multi-tasking like no one ever has ever in your life (managing multiple calls, all of them emergency to the caller also while knowing where your members are located up in 100 Mile House as they haven't answered back on a 5 minute timer). If this is okay for you (I didn't mind it, never a nightmare till I quit) then you might be okay.
I left because the shift work didn't correspond with my family life. I fell asleep multiple times at concerts and out visiting friends...

Pm me if you want more information on that.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

gardengirl wrote:I am looking at taking the Occupational Health and Safety Program through Distance Learning at OUC.
Does anyone here have any experience with it? How was it? What were your job prospects like?

I am also looking into becoming a call taker with the RCMP. Any one out there know anything about it?

Funny you should bring up this topic, I was just looking at this course description this morning. Due to my spinal injury I will also be looking at a new career.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

I'm a big supporter of site visits, trial days and talking with folks in the industry. Don't just talk to people who have taken the course but talk to people in the OH+S field.

Return to “Referrals”