Hot water tank replacement

Business and professional recommendations.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Re: Hot water tank replacement

Post by SuperMom »

My husband is a plumber/gas fitter. A permit is absolutely required when changing a gas hot water tank, even by a homeowner.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Also. There's about a 35 percent chance its an electric water heater

First of all in my first post I mentioned its a NG water tank that needs replacing. I would never attempted to pretend I know how to deal with NG and would never do any work related to it. Sounds to me your the kind of guy we hear about when there's a Hugh explosion in a neighborhood. "Not" for me.
P.S. Just wanted to see what was consider average price now days for a replacement. :130:
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Jflem1983 wrote:Ive replaced furnaces with no tickets as well. Theres no law against it.

Actually, there is.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

I do think that the requirement of a permit to r and r a ghwt is a tax grab. It's a pretty simple straitforward job.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Pay someone to do it then. Quit whining i tried to offer u a good plumber and some advice. U chose not to call the plumber and not to take the advice. Sounds like its your problem
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Jflem1983 wrote:Pay someone to do it then. Quit whining i tried to offer u a good plumber and some advice. U chose not to call the plumber and not to take the advice. Sounds like its your problem

I plan on and have always planed on having someone do it. I just came on here for advice on what's considered the going rate and recommended plumbers. After reading your posts I wouldn't take any of your advice nor would most. No more input from you please we don't need your useless advice and or comments :up:
Last edited by Whyme2 on Jan 5th, 2018, 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Jflem1983 wrote:Pay someone to do it then. Quit whining i tried to offer u a good plumber and some advice. U chose not to call the plumber and not to take the advice. Sounds like its your problem

There has been ZERO whining but some incorrect information from you, not reliable advice. Advising to go against regulations is never wise and your recommendation would not be a great way to go. It's not a problem for the OP to find what they are looking for - there's a lot of good companies out there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

and I only suggested to buy the tank to avoid the mark up and save some $$ and to hire a professional to install it..many people do that..

you gotta buy the tank regardless, so why not save yourself some $$ if you can and only pay for the install..
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

W105 wrote:and I only suggested to buy the tank to avoid the mark up and save some $$ and to hire a professional to install it..many people do that..

you gotta buy the tank regardless, so why not save yourself some $$ if you can and only pay for the install..

Thank you W105 I totally understand where your coming from. Only problem is getting tank to home and disposal of the other one unless the person who installs hauls away. I'm going to Homedepot this weekend to get prices and see what they say!
Thanks again :130:
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

Thank you as well Fancy regarding the Zero Whining comment! :D
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

We just had our hot water tank replaced in December 2017. We bought the tank ourselves and had a plumber come do it (someone who we have had do some other items before) and yes you need a permit (as was said in previous posts). They are inexpensive, but I would never have anything to do with gas fitting in my home not done without the proper permits..that way nothing can come back to bite you in the *bleep*, if something is done incorrectly.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

I would never have anything to do with gas fitting in my home not done without the proper permits..that way nothing can come back to bite you in the *bleep*, if something is done incorrectly.

I know , right ?

It's like having an electrician install a roof.

Go back ...It's a TRAP !
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
godfatherI

Post by godfatherI »

Our 17 y/o hwt finally gave up the ghost and we had it replaced in Sept. The company that does our furnace/ac maintenance recommended Weiner's Plumbing for the tank. They did the removal/installation; obtained the permit from COK and we had the installation done in a day. Std 40 gallon AO Smith gas HWT. Unfortunately not a model eligible for a Fortis rebate (they have lists on line). Cost approx. $1200. Only had one small problem - when the city came to inspect they said we were missing a metal plate beside the gas furnace, as it was too close to the wall - OK then; it was like that when we bought the house in the mid 90's. Called Weiners and they said no problem - they came back next day and cut a sheet metal plate and installed as required - even though it had nothing to do with the HWT - just because of the gas line I guess. There was no additional charge for this and the City inspector came back and gave us the approval sticker.

One recommendation for any install - do your maintenance on the tank/furnace/AC on a regular basis. That's why our tank lasted so long - we are also on our original gas furnace! We drain the tank every month or two and change furnace filters every couple of months, as well as having someone come in once a year for the yearly service. Saves in the long run.
Whyme2
Übergod

Post by Whyme2 »

godfatherI wrote:Our 17 y/o hwt finally gave up the ghost and we had it replaced in Sept. The company that does our furnace/ac maintenance recommended Weiner's Plumbing for the tank. They did the removal/installation; obtained the permit from COK and we had the installation done in a day. Std 40 gallon AO Smith gas HWT. Unfortunately not a model eligible for a Fortis rebate (they have lists on line). Cost approx. $1200. Only had one small problem - when the city came to inspect they said we were missing a metal plate beside the gas furnace, as it was too close to the wall - OK then; it was like that when we bought the house in the mid 90's. Called Weiners and they said no problem - they came back next day and cut a sheet metal plate and installed as required - even though it had nothing to do with the HWT - just because of the gas line I guess. There was no additional charge for this and the City inspector came back and gave us the approval sticker.

One recommendation for any install - do your maintenance on the tank/furnace/AC on a regular basis. That's why our tank lasted so long - we are also on our original gas furnace! We drain the tank every month or two and change furnace filters every couple of months, as well as having someone come in once a year for the yearly service. Saves in the long run.

Thanks godfatherl
We had ours changed with an A.O. Smith tank also for the same figure you quoted and now wait for the city inspector. :up:

Return to “Referrals”