Occupational Health and Safety Training

Business and professional recommendations.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Occupational Health and Safety Training

Post by gardengirl »

Can anyone out there recommend a good program for this? I have seen several schools offer courses, but want to be sure it is recognized professionally. (On line study please.)
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Re: Occupational Health and Safety Training

Post by WeatherWoman »

are you part of a union? I know BCGEU puts on regular training that is free but it's no online. I haven't seen any online ones.

Are you looking for a particular course?
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bring back the LIKE button.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Thanks Alan. I did see that but I am wondering if it is worth it. There are other schools which offer training as well. I want to know which is the best bang for your buck. Most widely recognized, most likely to get you an offer of employment.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

If you do it on-line, you are on your own. Doesn't what the name of the school is.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

alanjh595 wrote:If you do it on-line, you are on your own. Doesn't what the name of the school is.

Well there is "distance learning" such as the one you posted at Ok College. The also one at BCIT, U of A, University of Frederickton.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Either/Or, they will both have the same validity and will have the same, basic, required, test scores. Best to contact the institution and see if they have any assistance with finding a job upon successful completion of the course. If you want to work in BC, then I suggest that you stick with a BC school. They might have some info and insight into the BC labour market.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

gardengirl wrote:Thanks Alan. I did see that but I am wondering if it is worth it. There are other schools which offer training as well. I want to know which is the best bang for your buck. Most widely recognized, most likely to get you an offer of employment.

Are you applying for the OHS position?

I know for my employer the courses have to be approved by Worksafe and the employer for those of us that sit on the committee.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

gardengirl wrote:Thanks Alan. I did see that but I am wondering if it is worth it. There are other schools which offer training as well. I want to know which is the best bang for your buck. Most widely recognized, most likely to get you an offer of employment.

[quote="WeatherWoman ]
Are you applying for the OHS position?

I know for my employer the courses have to be approved by Worksafe and the employer for those of us that sit on the committee.[/quote]

I am looking at training for a new career. Need something with good prospects for employment and opportunities for growth and promotion.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

The person in charge of health and safety in our company has an HR degree along with Health and Safety education. Is there a high demand for OHS workers in BC?
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

WeatherWoman wrote:The person in charge of health and safety in our company has an HR degree along with Health and Safety education. Is there a high demand for OHS workers in BC?

That is what I am trying to find out. Thinking it is an area where you could work in a wide variety of different types of business, manufacturing, construction, oil and gas, agiculture.
WeatherWoman

Post by WeatherWoman »

I would check the adds of jobs you might be interested in applying for and see what their qualifications are.

I work for the largest not for profit in BC and we have two people in charge of heath and safety BUT they also do HR.

https://ca.indeed.com/jobs?q=safety&l=k ... gLXQfD_BwE
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

What exactly are you looking for?
The easiest way to enter the OHS/HSE industry is by taking the dozen or so short 1 or 2 day courses offered by the BC/AB Construction Assoc. and obtaining CSO/ NCSO standing. This will enable you to find work as Safety Advisor/Safety Officer in several industries. Having a decent First Aid ticket is a big bonus as many small businesses look for someone to do both.

From there, write your Gold Seal and start taking online/evening or weekend Certificate courses. Example; U of A had a HSE Certificate course that ran weekends. Ryerson was a popular online University a few years back as well but shop around. Make sure any courses you take will guide you toward CRSP certification

Aspire to write your CRSP which is recognized world wide, and IRC, is the equivalent of some US Safety Engineering Certs. Networking is a must if you plan to do contract work. Above all remember this; companies save a lot more money by having an accident free work place than they would ever pay you! Rig Zone will give you an idea what is out there globally.

And oh, before I forget....I just happen to have all the text books required for a OHS/HSE Certificate at a very reasonable price :)
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Wow. Thanks Clipper. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I will check out the places you suggested and maybe I will take you up on the textbook offer.

Clipper wrote:What exactly are you looking for?
The easiest way to enter the OHS/HSE industry is by taking the dozen or so short 1 or 2 day courses offered by the BC/AB Construction Assoc. and obtaining CSO/ NCSO standing. This will enable you to find work as Safety Advisor/Safety Officer in several industries. Having a decent First Aid ticket is a big bonus as many small businesses look for someone to do both.

From there, write your Gold Seal and start taking online/evening or weekend Certificate courses. Example; U of A had a HSE Certificate course that ran weekends. Ryerson was a popular online University a few years back as well but shop around. Make sure any courses you take will guide you toward CRSP certification

Aspire to write your CRSP which is recognized world wide, and IRC, is the equivalent of some US Safety Engineering Certs. Networking is a must if you plan to do contract work. Above all remember this; companies save a lot more money by having an accident free work place than they would ever pay you! Rig Zone will give you an idea what is out there globally.

And oh, before I forget....I just happen to have all the text books required for a OHS/HSE Certificate at a very reasonable price :)

Return to “Referrals”