Bike Shop

Business and professional recommendations.
boxman180
Fledgling

Bike Shop

Post by boxman180 »

My son is buying a new mountain bike and wants to spend around $1000. He is mostly riding around town ie mission Greenway but also the BMX park What seller/repair place do you recommend?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Bike Shop

Post by Queen K »

boxman180 wrote:My son is buying a new mountain bike and wants to spend around $1000. He is mostly riding around town ie mission Greenway but also the BMX park What seller/repair place do you recommend?

Hi,

According to the bike shop owners, it never the bike itself that is the main concern, it's the bike security from all the thieves.

Research and invest in the best bike locks possible, then buy the bike from the best sales rep in the store. Whomever you feel comfortable is giving you the straight goods on the bike.

OH and reflectors for evening/dusk/dark, Flashing lights for wheels or something to protect him from not being seen.

All the best to your son, I hope he gets a nice ride! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
spooker

Post by spooker »

I've got my favourite bike shops but I try not to push people there since I know that all of the local bike shops have good staff that are quite willing to help someone find the right bike ...

For that kind of budget you could find a good Norco, Raleigh, or Marin as a hardtail ... that would put you at Kelowna Cycle, Lions Cyclery, and ChainLine respectively ... not as familiar with the offerings from Giant and Trek/Specialized but you could also visit Cyclepath and Fresh Air for those brands ...

As Queen K said, get a secure lock ... too many bikes get stolen around here ... whatever you get register the details with Garage 529 https://project529.com/garage

Hope he finds a bike that fits him well and he's happy to ride :up:
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

Outbound on the Westside. Glen the owner is a good honest guy.

When I was buying my bike I had problems at the other shops.

One shop I did 3 laps around the showroom, lingered for a bit and nobody even said hello, so I left. Too bad for them, I had 2k to spend.

Another shop while I waited to talk to the sales guy I listened to him try and sell a bike to a lady which was more bike than she needed. Full suspension for the Greenway, I don’t think so.

And another shop had the same bike as Outbound but they pulled a trick that some shops do. They get a bike from the factory and they take the high end components off of it to sell separately in their showcase and replace them with lower grade parts. In this case the bike came factory with Shimano XT shifters and they put Shimano LX shifters on it.

Bought it from Glen and always got great service.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

TreeGuy wrote:Outbound on the Westside. Glen the owner is a good honest guy.

Yes, Outbound is really good. I've bought one bike from them, and they service all of our bikes there twice a year.

Good peeps.

Return to “Referrals”