Sourcing Ingredients

Business and professional recommendations.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Sourcing Ingredients

Post by Lady tehMa »

I'd like to try making home-brewed rootbeer. The recipe I want to try calls for Sassafrass root and Sasparilla root. I tried Michael's Brew House on Spall, they don't have anything.

Any ideas where I could get this locally? I know that I can get it from the net . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Sourcing Ingredients

Post by alanjh595 »

Sassafras is no longer considered safe for human consumption, especially when safrole oil is included. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration currently prohibits sassafras bark, oil, and safrole as flavorings or food additives. ... The FDA banned sassafras use in 1979 following research that showed it caused cancer in rats.Nov 14, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sassafr ... e&ie=UTF-8
Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

This is the recipe:
https://www.culturesforhealth.com/learn/recipe/water-kefir-recipes/easy-lacto-fermented-root-beer/?fbclid=IwAR0Nn2Sf1sXn8TyUslBIDprMyNZ_xSCYqmHWn0etJJ-KNG_vrxjcfbkqGis

From the article:
All commercially produced root beer contains artificial flavouring because sassafras, the herb that gives root beer its characteristic flavour, was banned as an ingredient in any commercial beverage after scientists discovered the active ingredient in sassafras, safrole, made lab rats more prone to cancer when they were fed very large amounts of it. The dried root can still be purchased to use for making tea, though. Historically, sassafras tea has been used in folk medicine for generations. If you choose to purchase and use dried sassafras for making root beer, keep in mind it may not be advisable to drink huge quantities on a daily basis.
I haven't failed until I quit.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Those damned fragile lab rats! I bet lettuce overdoses would kill the buggars too, but just try to wipe them out with sure-fire rodent poison!

If you can drink tea made with it and not sprout an extra cranium, why the hell can't you make rootbeer from it and drink it in normal quantities like an adult?

It's not like you were to engorge a bathtub full daily.

The Nanny State strikes again.

Mutter, mutter.....

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

No wonder I haven’t seen root beer extract on grocery store shelves for a number of years.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Root-Beer-Flavor-Extract-1-oz-ZIN-529533/596826633
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Your point, Jlabute dearie? Your point is ?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Referrals”