Penticton Election

Temporary forum for civic elections
twobits
Guru

Re: Penticton Election

Post by twobits »

XT225 wrote:
I like Bruce as well, twobits and he is a good appraiser however Ted has been around a lot longer and knows the city far better in my opinion.

XT, Bruce has lived his entire life here. Born and raised, graduated from Pen High. How can you say Ted has been around a lot longer except to say he is older? Bruce is mid fifties. Does five and a half decades as a resident of Penticton make him qualified? You are not even that old buddy........After three or four decades of residence, the trump card is is credential and experience, not seniority.
XT225 wrote:
I agree that Ted can be negative quite often but we need watchdogs like him to keep the bean counters in line at city hall. In his letter he refers to a letter by Steve Brown (and another one in today's Western); superbly written and if what Steve says is true re the reverse petition, the downtown business owners don't stand much chance of stopping this Revitilization lunacy. Its inconceivable that they won't put this to referendum or at least give the general public a say; after all WE will pay the majority of the bill. Of course if we elect a good number of new councillors, perhaps it can be reversed, if the present council rams it through before the election. I say Shame on any councillor who is favor of rushing this multi-million dollar fiasco through! This needs to be a question asked at the forums. ETA: I'm glad that we agree on the Revitilization issue. http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... b2370.html

I agree the reverse petition is a joke
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

I would still bet that Ted has lived here longer and is a better number cruncher. Let us get back on topic though..its not about Ted or Bruce, personally; it was their letters. The downtown revitilization issue should be front and centre in this election and any new candidates for councillors should be focusing on this and using it against the die hard councillors presently in office who are trying to ram this through. The whole project should be shelved until the economy improves and the rotting infrastructure in this city is repaired/brought up to date. If Andrew J. was wanting to score more votes, he would do an about face and vote NO to this nonsense. I do have hope that he just might. We know that Vass is in favor of it and not likely to change his mind. From the letter in the papers from Steve Brown who owns a business in the 200 block of Main Street, its evident that some/perhaps many of the owners down there are NOT in favor of the project as it stands now, without more study of traffic patterns, etc. However, in the way that this reverse petition works, they may be powerless to stop it. If just one present council member wanted to make huge points, they would make a motion to table this until after the election. Take a breather and also let the new council deal with it. There is just no big rush.
NormCheers

Post by NormCheers »

XT225 wrote:I would still bet that Ted has lived here longer and is a better number cruncher. Let us get back on topic though..its not about Ted or Bruce, personally; it was their letters.

Speaking of letters, anyone see Fridays Herald and the letter from Douglas Druin? http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... l?mode=jqm

This quote is unbelievable propaganda "Max Picton has been the voice of and a proponent for change and growth in this town, and he has done it all with his own time, his own ingenuity and his own money." If Mr. Druin truly knows Max he would know:
A lot of people put a lot of time into building Barefoot, a lot more than dear old Max and he should "Man Up" and acknowledge that.
I know personally, that the gentleman that owns the water toy rental place "Big Dakez" spent close to $100,000.00 putting up that building and buying the toys.
I am also personally involved with the gentleman that spent over $150,000.00 building the Restaurant "the Beach House" out there.
One more FACT, Mr. Picton, if not for Max's angel investor putting in more than $1,000,000.00, he would still be slinging beer because a bank wouldn't touch him! Never has Max ever thanked or publicly acknowledged these people. He did once call his angel a "Mentor" but that's it. Getting really tired of his people putting mistruths out there. Everyday it seems one of his "people" has a letter spouting untruths about this man. And he is happy to sit back and let people think he is the "Great One" instead of correcting untruths and putting forth his history.
I think every candidate should have to put forth a resume as part of their nomination papers listing - past jobs- volunteer work - what they like to do in their spare time and references to be checked. Just my thoughts!
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Interesting story here re Corry Place in Penticton and how it has been neglected for years. Many other areas of the city need serious work as well (even Vassalaki admits that), so why not put the expensive Downtown Revitilization project on hold for now until the rest of the city is repaired. Goodness only knows what lies UNDER the streets and what needs fixing. ETA: good for Mr. Gratton (who is running for council) to bring this issue up; however he may have to step out on commenting if he is successful in the election as he would benefit from such improvements. For now, though, he is free to speak his mind.

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news-st ... htm#125507
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Corry Pl has a terrible road. I have driven on it and could not believe that this has not been fixed. I also think that Main St needs work but not downtown. The section between Industrial and Warren is getting so badly rutted that my car tracks back and forth. Very busy road that needs serious work not beautifying.
If anyone wants my vote they better be for infrastructure not making things pretty. Function over form.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

JagXKR wrote:Corry Pl has a terrible road. I have driven on it and could not believe that this has not been fixed. I also think that Main St needs work but not downtown. The section between Industrial and Warren is getting so badly rutted that my car tracks back and forth. Very busy road that needs serious work not beautifying.
If anyone wants my vote they better be for infrastructure not making things pretty. Function over form.

Very well said and I agree...the candidates for council just have to include fixing rather than beautifying first in their platforms and they are guaranteed to gain a substantial number of votes!
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

NormCheers wrote:
Speaking of letters, anyone see Fridays Herald and the letter from Douglas Druin? http://www.pentictonherald.ca/opinion/a ... l?mode=jqm

This quote is unbelievable propaganda "Max Picton has been the voice of and a proponent for change and growth in this town, and he has done it all with his own time, his own ingenuity and his own money." If Mr. Druin truly knows Max he would know:
A lot of people put a lot of time into building Barefoot, a lot more than dear old Max and he should "Man Up" and acknowledge that.
I know personally, that the gentleman that owns the water toy rental place "Big Dakez" spent close to $100,000.00 putting up that building and buying the toys.
I am also personally involved with the gentleman that spent over $150,000.00 building the Restaurant "the Beach House" out there.
One more FACT, Mr. Picton, if not for Max's angel investor putting in more than $1,000,000.00, he would still be slinging beer because a bank wouldn't touch him! Never has Max ever thanked or publicly acknowledged these people. He did once call his angel a "Mentor" but that's it. Getting really tired of his people putting mistruths out there. Everyday it seems one of his "people" has a letter spouting untruths about this man. And he is happy to sit back and let people think he is the "Great One" instead of correcting untruths and putting forth his history.
I think every candidate should have to put forth a resume as part of their nomination papers listing - past jobs- volunteer work - what they like to do in their spare time and references to be checked. Just my thoughts!

Perhaps you should consider providing a response to that letter. Remember that the truth is not slander.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

JagXKR wrote:Corry Pl has a terrible road. I have driven on it and could not believe that this has not been fixed. I also think that Main St needs work but not downtown. The section between Industrial and Warren is getting so badly rutted that my car tracks back and forth. Very busy road that needs serious work not beautifying.

You might want to listen to what Vic Powell has to say then. He could have written your post as that is exactly his message. I heard him talking to someone the other day about the Martin St upgrade. He said, "who's stupid idea was it to put hitching posts downtown? I haven't seen a horse downtown. Then again, horse chit would be easier to clean up than the oil stains on the fancy brick people are parking their cars on". Gotta love a guy that tells it like he sees it. On Main St......"if I am elected I will do everything possible to stop this nonsense and waste of taxpayer dollars".

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:You might want to listen to what Vic Powell has to say then. He could have written your post as that is exactly his message. I heard him talking to someone the other day about the Martin St upgrade. He said, "who's stupid idea was it to put hitching posts downtown? I haven't seen a horse downtown. Then again, horse chit would be easier to clean up than the oil stains on the fancy brick people are parking their cars on". Gotta love a guy that tells it like he sees it. On Main St......"if I am elected I will do everything possible to stop this nonsense and waste of taxpayer dollars".

Never thought much about Vic, twobits but if he is willing to stand AGAINST the downtown multi-million dollar waste of money, he may get mine and a lot of other votes. I've met very few people that actually LIKE the Martin St. changes (I stop short of calling it an UPgrade). Those "hitching posts" should be removable for off-season as parking is reduced on that street for sure.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Then Vic Powell is your man XT. I was telling the truth about his position but you can verify for yourself. He has made his contact info public, unlike many other candidates, and wants to hear from residents. 250-490-8516.

And as a disclaimer I would like to add that I had never seen the man prior to this, I am not involved in his campaign, nor contributed to it financially in any way.

XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

twobits wrote:Then Vic Powell is your man XT. I was telling the truth about his position but you can verify for yourself. He has made his contact info public, unlike many other candidates, and wants to hear from residents. 250-490-8516.

And as a disclaimer I would like to add that I had never seen the man prior to this, I am not involved in his campaign, nor contributed to it financially in any way.

Thanks, twobits. I think that I will vote for Vic. I know him to some degree (hangs out at Timmys, a LOT) and is a straight shooter. Not afraid to speak his mind either. Is retired, no conflicts that I know of. Never voted for him for Mayor the last time however I would never vote for anyone who didn't first get some experience as a councillor first.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Thanks twobits. One down 5 to go. I respect honesty and saying what you mean. If he spends the next 4 years doing that then I will be glad, even if I disagree with him regarding the city. I made one or two mistakes in my voting last time and I have no one to blame but myself for not researching things. Fool me once...
I can't make the candidates meeting so I'm hoping it will be on the web for me to watch later. I have some thoughts on a couple of candidates and would like to see how they do.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
theseeker
Fledgling

Post by theseeker »

I am hoping to make the meeting but unsure, as we have other commitments, I'm a winter snowbird leaving in a week. I am mailing my ballot in, it is being mailed to us before we leave. I've realized my vote has to go to Jake Jakubeit instead of Vass, Vassilaki has been hear since I can remember, I remember when in 2006 when Jake Kimberley was mayor and when the tennis bubble was removed and promised to be set up on 16 acres of land at Queens park at that time Vass and Litki and Ashton were Councillors, nothing has ever happened with that. Lies. I agree with voting for Vic Powell, others I'm not sure off. Very dissappointed with most of the previous Mayors and Councillors.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

I believe that the Herald will be doing a live feed of the forum from their website (according to today's paper) and also Peach City Radio. Lets hope that they pick some good questions to ask of the candidates because they aren't taking questions from an open mic; at least not for the councillors forum. There wouldn't be time.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I've said it before and my mind hasn't changed, I think money spent on downtown revitalization is money well spent. Like it or not, most of the eggs in Penticton's current basket are labeled "tourism", (we've also got a lot in there labeled "retirement" too, but that's another topic) and until that changes it would be silly not to do what is needed as far as keeping things presentable for visitors. Downtown revitalization can help bring the area out of the economic doldrums it has been in for some years now, keeping pace with national and global economic recovery and the increased tourist traffic that can bring. Locals don't really need downtown services, it's more convenient to shop at the malls, but downtown is a big draw for tourists who are looking for things they don't have at home. Diversification is a good thing, and it wouldn't hurt for Penticton to have more of it as far as an economic base goes so an eye to the future in that aspect is needed, but that's a long-term project and in the meantime tourism is paying a lot of our bills. It would be silly not to keep watering that garden.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”