Knowles deserves to retire gracefully

Temporary forum for civic elections
mystica
Board Meister

Knowles deserves to retire gracefully

Post by mystica »

I posted this on another topic, but feel that it should have a space of its own. I know that David has the community at heart...but I think we should honor him for his past commitment to the community and make him retire gracefully.

Sad to see Knowles signs up again this go around!! He has definitely done his service to the community in the past in such organizations a Rotary and Girls and Boys clubs. But is well past ready for retirement.

He is now 75 years old and "Old" is a big part of it. Due to his precarious health he has not shown much 'get up and go' over the last four years of time in council. He does not appear to be well prepared for meetings and seems to focus on some unimportant point that is not particularly relevant.

Davids health is shaky and his most recent cardiac incident should have told him that it is time to retire and spend time with his wife of 50 years and their grandchildren.

The time has come for us to thanks this man for the good he has done for the community, recognize him and encourage him to retire and take care of his health. Perhaps we could give him the "Keys of the city" when we get that hashtag!

West Kelowna needs young blood to take the reins and move the city froward. People with energy on their side. Electing new, vigorous blood is going to help our growing up and moving forward.
Westbank4ever

Re: Knowles deserves to retire gracefully

Post by Westbank4ever »

I thought that Knowles would not run again. But it seems that he just does not get it.
If he really cares for Westbank, he should retire. We need to have people who are awake on the council. Westbank needs to have help as we grow up.
David has worked hard for us in the past.But now it is time to take a bow and bow out of the council.
Westbank4ever

Post by Westbank4ever »

Mr. Knowles is not as sharp now as he was way back at the start of his time on the Regional board.

Then he was all in favor of us borrowing lots of money to help pay for building Royal Le Page Place. Over 3 million dollars I think. The total price was going to be only FIVE million.

Then HE was one of the ones who kept making changes that cost us more and more. The bill we got stuck with was more than FOURTEEN million!!

The main reason was because he did not understand the way costs get added to projects when you make changes to set plans.

He still is short on understanding in lots of things. Time to put him out to pasture.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

David has a strong following in Westbank of fellow seniors and fellow church members who will turn out en masse to re-elect him, unfortunately. He will be rewarded for what he has done for them in the way of that insane street beautification deal on an unimportant side street, and his advocacy of focusing West Kelowna dollars on developing our city "centre" in an out of the way part of our city. It is democracy as we know it today if he gets back in, and he probably will.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

YES,,, I erred when I was keying this post in....normal vision is returning...Thank goodness
Last edited by mystica on Oct 20th, 2014, 10:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

In the past three elections, David has gone down in position for number of votes.
3rd in 2007
4th in 2008
6th in 2011
Is his popularity diminishing or have his supporters just gone past the point at which they can vote?
Either that or they are wising up to the fact that he is just worn out and should retire.

Go because you make the choice Mr. Knowles . Say you are stepping aside for younger blood, anything!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

Putting up with d-bags like this is why I wonder why anyone would go into politics.
nextimeround
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by nextimeround »

My full respect and admiration for putting his name forward in the name of community service. Right or wrong he put himself out there and tried to make a difference in action not just words. Kudos for that.

I agree completely that David should have stepped down. He's obviously not at full mental capacity and his physical capacity is also questionable at best. I don't care so much about the latter, but the former is important to us all. Sad he doesn't see it and that his campaign people didn't talk him down from this.
occasional thoughts
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by occasional thoughts »

David Knowles is no d-bag (*bleep*?), but he is way past his due date for freshness, et al, and of all the incumbents who are running for re-election he should be defeated for the good of the district and probably himself. He has a constituency in Westbank, however, one which loves him and which he has rewarded majorly (Brown Road) and which he has tried to deliver another prize to (the unnecessary health centre or "hospital" in Westbank), so far unsuccessfully.

David is a tired old man who, notwithstanding his personal attributes and his major successful role with Len Novakowski in bringing about the District of West Kelowna, has become a politician; let's face it, if you can keep awake, sitting on council and making all those important decisions and getting a nice part-time income at his age is a lot more fun than many of the alternatives.

David, the Americans have a two-term limit for their president! Mexico limits its president to a single six-year term. The Canadian Senate says a senator has to retire at 75. Rent a condo in Arizona or Hawaii winters. Or buy a season ticket to the Warriors.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Unkind comment Steve-O!! Not necessary to use such names. I hope no one maligns you in such a way when you can't fight back!

I know that David is past it now, but he did do a lot for the community in his younger years.

Retiring someone when they need to be retired is the one thing that should happen.
Sayonara David!
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I apologize my post was not clearer. I was not calling Mr. Knowles a D-bag. Rather those that rip on people like him from the safety of anonymity of the internet.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Steve-O wrote:I apologize my post was not clearer. I was not calling Mr. Knowles a D-bag. Rather those that rip on people like him from the safety of anonymity of the internet.

My apologies Steve-O. Your previous post was unclear.

My points regarding David Knowles have said that he did good works in the community.

Stating that he needs to retire is being done from concern about his health and the need for him to take it easy whilst he still can. His health is compromised from his selfless act of donating a kidney to his daughter. Also from his recent heart attack and other illnesses.

Having difficulty staying awake at council meetings,
Not briefing himself thoroughly on the content of the meetings
Focusing on trivialities
All point to the fact that being a Councillor is now too much for Mr.Knowles.

We have just lost Ross Gorman at the advanced age of 93. A popular pioneer of Westbank and joint creator of a great local employer.

David should take care of his health so that he too gets more years to enjoy with his family.
Leave the politics to the younger, healthier individuals
Steve-O
Übergod

Post by Steve-O »

I took some of the comments above as his being ripped on. I did not realize he is ill, to the point that perhaps it is impacting his job or his job may be impacting his health. I feel holding public office holds an individual up to a higher level of scrutiny and comes with the territory, but when people blast these individuals on forums such as this it rubs me the wrong way. If someone feels a duly elected official is doing that poor of a job and feels strongly about it; than there are options to get the message to the official so he or she can defend their decisions or be swayed to consider an alternate point of view. I've shared thoughts with both the Mayor and Ben Stewart when he was our MP, sent emails to Ms. Clark that have been responded to (not personally from her).

That is where I am coming from mystica. Thank you for correcting me on your stance as I did interpret it incorrectly.
Westbank4ever

Post by Westbank4ever »

David Knowles was a good guy and cared for us in Westbank. He wanted us to be the town of Westbank. I did not know he was in his late 70's! It is time for him to take it easy.

Thank you, I hope you do retire and take care of yourself because you need think of yourself and your family too.
mystica
Board Meister

Post by mystica »

Very nice words Westbank....I did not realize that David was quite that old!
No wonder he finds long meeting so tiring.
After working so hard for so many years, he deserves to take a back seat and support this next West Kelowna Council from the side lines.

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”