Fire fighters support Shepherd

Temporary forum for civic elections
TrailRunner2010

Fire fighters support Shepherd

Post by TrailRunner2010 »

The only reason a firefighters Union rep would come out and say this, is if because they feel they'll get more staff, more money or equipment out of the deal. Our local fire fighters are already overpaid, most earning 89-100K already before the next raise. Enough already. Be like federal employees and no raise for 3-5 years.
Banned

Re: FireFighters support Shepherd

Post by 508 »

So wanting proper equipment and more staff is a bad thing?
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

So wanting big raises at taxpayers' expense and supporting a political candidate who can give it to them is a bad thing?

Well, yeah, it is.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
edwardv
Fledgling

Post by edwardv »

So this is a bad thing but forchange or whatever they are calling themselves now is okay? Seems like a double standard to me...
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Post by Partmanpartfish »

508 wrote:So wanting proper equipment and more staff is a bad thing?

"Conservatives" believe it's better to spend that money of million dollar outhouses in the park.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

I guess a better question for manfish is whether she/he applies the same rules to Shepherd now that she has groups out supporting her.
Do you now have to support one of the other candidates? Or do you feel that it is ok for Sharon to be in the pocket of the firemen's union, to use your type of rhetoric?
You and 71 others Like this post
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

The mayor has one vote.
Period.

The firefighters see Shepherd as the best leader.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

LANDM wrote:I guess a better question for manfish is whether she/he applies the same rules to Shepherd now that she has groups out supporting her.
Do you now have to support one of the other candidates? Or do you feel that it is ok for Sharon to be in the pocket of the firemen's union, to use your type of rhetoric?

The firefighters were able to give their reasons for supporting Shepherd. If BotKelowna or one of yous can give your reasons for supporting Basran, beyond the shopworn platitudes, I will consider supporting the lad.

I'm not holding my breath.
KelownaResid

Post by KelownaResid »

George+ wrote: by George+ » Today, 7:27 am
The mayor has one vote.Period.The firefighters see Shepherd as the best leader.

I've seen this mentioned before that a mayor has one vote. There is a significant amount more that a mayor is responsible for besides one vote. Section 116 of the Community Charter lists the job responsibilities of a mayor these include:

(a) to provide leadership to the council, including by recommending bylaws, resolutions and other measures that, in the mayor's opinion, may assist the peace, order and good government of the municipality;
(b) to communicate information to the council;
(c) to preside at council meetings when in attendance;
(d) to provide, on behalf of the council, general direction to municipal officers respecting implementation of municipal policies, programs and other directions of the council;
(e) to establish standing committees in accordance with section 141;
(f) to suspend municipal officers and employees in accordance with section 151;
(g) to reflect the will of council and to carry out other duties on behalf of the council;
(h) to carry out other duties assigned under this or any other Act

I think most voters would agree that for a mayor to be successful in doing the above tasks, they would probably require significant experience in municipal politics and leadership roles. How can a mayor will little or no experience in politics and leadership provide direction to municipal officers/employees or council or recommend bylaws or resolutions and other measures? Hopefully, voters in Kelowna will put themselves in the role of a hiring committee and ask themselves which candidate has the experience and past performance record to successfully carry out the duties required by a mayor.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

We don't need some group telling us to vote for their puppet with no real life skills besides owning a building.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
tmamchur

Post by tmamchur »

• Currently the City of Kelowna has a minimum of 19 Fire Fighters on staff at any one time.

• A working residential house fire requires 17 firefighters on scene to safely perform firefighting duties. A three station response out of four leaves 1 Station to cover rest of the city.

• High hazard (industrial, warehouses) or high occupancy fires (high rise condos, seniors living homes) require 24 firefighters on scene within 8 minutes to safely start firefighting duties and rescue operations. A four station response to this type of incident leaves no stations staffed to cover the rest of the city and only has a response of 19 firefighters

• NFPA Standard 1710 for a residential house fire requires an Engine with 4 firefighters on scene in 4 minutes 90% of the time and the full assignment of 17 firefighters in 8 minutes. Due to lack of stations and hall locations, Kelowna has adopted 6 minutes for the first arriving Engine with 4 firefighters and doesn't include a time for full assignment.

• Response times to Quail, McKinley Landing and parts of Glenmore have a response time of between 12-18 min.

• The Kelowna Professional Fire Fighters believe everyone in Kelowna should be protected and so does Shepherd.

Find out more. https://www.facebook.com/KelownaFireFighters
Last edited by tmamchur on Nov 5th, 2014, 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Captain Awesome wrote:We don't need some group telling us to vote for their puppet with no real life skills besides owning a building.

So if her building catches fire at the same time as the one beside it, whose would get more water sprayed on it?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
Partmanpartfish
Übergod

Does anyone find it interesting that the firefighters can write a whole page re their reasons for supporting Shepherd . . .

. . . but a brain trust of Kelowna's smartest businessmen can't think of a single positive attribute re Basran besides 'he's fresh?'

And 'conservatives' wonder why I mock and laugh at them. It's just too easy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Partmanpartfish wrote:
And 'conservatives' wonder why I mock and laugh at them. It's just too easy.

and yet being mocked and laughed at by you really means nothing so as easy as you find it, no one really cares.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
3 B's

Post by 3 B's »

To Partmanpartfish: SO you think you know what Conservatives think. Actually you don't have a clue what they think
\because you are as left as they can be. And besides, get your mind off the darn cra##er already. It's done, it's over
with and it's time to move on. As YOU say, mistakes get made but if there is acknowlegment of same and there is a change
then why, it's just A-ok. You are very good at applying a very double standard from what I am reading. Come on!!!!

Return to “Civic Elections 2014”