Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Dispatch

Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by Dispatch »

Last edited by Dispatch on Aug 14th, 2011, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: Kelowna RCMP Wearing Video Cameras

Post by fvkasm2x »

B-Town wrote:On the one hand some feel this is an invasion of privacy. On the other hand, if police are always being recorded will this force them to be on their best behavior, potentially eliminating negative incidences that we've been seeing lately? Thoughts?

People complain about everything.

Cops are evil and beating the public up at every corner. They frame us for crimes we don't actually commit. So when they can use cameras to prove our innocence or their guilt, we complain about "our privacy."

If you have nothing to hide or worry about, why are you so concerned about your privacy?

I'd rather have every interaction with a cop videotaped.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Exactly fvkasm2x, if your not doing anything wrong who cares----tape away.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The only ones who will protest against this are the ones who may have something to hide. While I don't like to see the loss of any freedoms I also don't feel that criminals should have any freedom.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

Bsuds wrote:The only ones who will protest against this are the ones who may have something to hide. While I don't like to see the loss of any freedoms I also don't feel that criminals should have any freedom.

And what about innocent people walking down the street, should they not have the freedom to NOT have their picture taken if an officer saunters by.
There should be very stiff rules for these cameras and the officers that use them.
And where exactly is the footage from these cameras goin to be stored?
Just another tool for the monkey patrol to abuse.

None of this does anything to STOP crime so it is a waste of time and money.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

kelofornia wrote:None of this does anything to STOP crime so it is a waste of time and money.

It is a waste of money.

It is a waste of time.

And it's sad that our govt will go to such length to please anti-police crowd.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

kelofornia wrote:

And what about innocent people walking down the street, should they not have the freedom to NOT have their picture taken if an officer saunters by.

When you are out in public your picture is being taken constantly by security cameras, traffic cameras, personal cameras etc.
If you feel that strongly about not having your picture taken you better just stay at home or not worry about it.
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

Bsuds wrote:
kelofornia wrote:And what about innocent people walking down the street, should they not have the freedom to NOT have their picture taken if an officer saunters by.

When you are out in public your picture is being taken constantly by security cameras, traffic cameras, personal cameras etc.
If you feel that strongly about not having your picture taken you better just stay at home or not worry about it.

EXACTLY, and when is enough, enough? When none of the invasions already in place have done nothing to deter crime why not try something completely different. Perhaps like a "Police presence" in high crime areas. When was the last time any of you saw a cop WALKING a beat downtown?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even if it does nothing to deter the actual crime you will be glad when the camera helps in convicting the person who comits the crime. Double that if the crime is against you! The benefits far out weight any negatives.
Dispatch

Post by Dispatch »

When was the last time any of you saw a cop WALKING a beat downtown?

Umm.. Today.

Bike cops on duty now that its the summer months.
kelofornia
Übergod

Post by kelofornia »

B-Town wrote:
When was the last time any of you saw a cop WALKING a beat downtown?

Umm.. Today.

Bike cops on duty now that its the summer months.

So what; there's no street level crime during the winter????????
Popeye69
Board Meister

Post by Popeye69 »

cameras on cops are a great idea. sure keeps any a** hole cops in line.
Lore
Übergod

Post by Lore »

Popeye69 wrote:cameras on cops are a great idea. sure keeps any a** hole cops in line.

Maybe even some a**hole criminals.
phasyluck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by phasyluck »

Wheres the extra money coming from to purchase, record, review etc? Surely someone has to look video over because I would assume more complaints will arise which in turn there should be video to review...no? Personally I think its a novel idea but thats it, and why does it seem that Kelowna always has to be a front runner when it comes to certain things?
Sure do love Rutland!!
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

B-Town wrote:http://youtu.be/9849cjxM87M

Kelowna RCMP become one of the first in Canada to implement the use of body cams. A new instrument that police say will help gather evidence and fight crime. But some say the cameras are an invasion of privacy.

So the question is... Is this a good thing? or bad thing? On the one hand some feel this is an invasion of privacy. On the other hand, if police are always being recorded will this force them to be on their best behavior, potentially eliminating negative incidences that we've been seeing lately? Will police be in control of deleting/uploading recorded video?

Thoughts?

Define privacy??

If it is outside of your own home, it is not private.

I don't see the problem, they have used cameras for years incar with mic monitoring the conversation outside. It works two ways, the stupid people change their tune, and the police officer who is always subject of complaint it can clean the dirty ones out of police work.

If people only knew how your cell phone, your credit cards invade your privacy you'd throw them all away.

Return to “B.C.”