Shared Lawn Divider Ideas

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
V-Rated
Guru

Shared Lawn Divider Ideas

Post by V-Rated »

I been surfing the net for ideas, but always good to hear word of mouth experiences.

My b/friends front lawn is shared with the neighbors. We maintain it for them, because why should they when someone else will. (not very energetic people). Anyway, this is getting rather tiresome and am looking for a way to divide the property in a nice decorative way. The middle of the lawn doesn't lead to anywhere but a fence, not wanting a cement walkway, can't put up a fence in the front. Was thinking of walking stones, perhaps flowers/shrubs... just curious of others ideas on projects and how it worked out for them. Thanks in advance.
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Shared Lawn Divider Ideas

Post by grammafreddy »

V-Rated wrote:I been surfing the net for ideas, but always good to hear word of mouth experiences.

My b/friends front lawn is shared with the neighbors. We maintain it for them, because why should they when someone else will. (not very energetic people). Anyway, this is getting rather tiresome and am looking for a way to divide the property in a nice decorative way. The middle of the lawn doesn't lead to anywhere but a fence, not wanting a cement walkway, can't put up a fence in the front. Was thinking of walking stones, perhaps flowers/shrubs... just curious of others ideas on projects and how it worked out for them. Thanks in advance.

Raspberries or mahonia hedge are two ideas that come to mind.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Friend found some really old double beds - cast iron frame - and put the head/foot boards down the middle of hers (duplex). Also scrounged a really old metal gate at a garage sale. She is training clematis along them, looks lovely.

My mom used old concrete bricks (the kind with two holes, I think about a foot long each?) to mark borders, and filled them with dirt and marigolds. Those are pretty easy, can lay them flat or dig them in the ground a bit.
I haven't failed until I quit.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

There are some tall ornamental grasses out there that could provide both physical and visual separation. You could plant three or four of them along your side of the dividing line and place a couple of raised beds or planter urns with decorative flowers in between them. Is this a rental or owned unit?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

Thanks girls for some great ideas...

I googled mahonia hedge and there are some lower flowering shrubs that will work nice, along with the brick ideas. Looking around at some of the other neighbors ideas, all are like you girls are suggesting.

I might lay some brick work this weekend, then do something flowering next spring.

I don't want to do anything too tall. Always need a project on the go here *smiles*

~V~
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

:sunshine: sounds great! Hope you have fun, and it would be cool to see pics when you're done (before/after?)
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”