Best boxing gym in Kelowna

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Best boxing gym in Kelowna

Post by Captain Awesome »

What would be a good boxing gym for a beginner? I'm no boxer by any means (I mean, I can throw a good punch but I lack proper training) and would need to start from the ground up.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

[quote="CaptainAwesome"]What would be a good boxing gym for a beginner? I'm no boxer by any means (I mean, I can throw a good punch but I lack proper training) and would need to start from the ground up.[/quote]

What are the measuring tools that you are using to claim you can throw a good punch?
"The Old Familiar Faces" - Charles Lamb
"All. all, are gone, the old familiar faces"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Zelley. wrote:What are the measuring tools that you are using to claim you can throw a good punch?

I've been told that by a couple of people. They also told me I lack proper punching technique, moving, and blocking. So, apparently I suck all around except an occasional punch here and there.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

[quote="CaptainAwesome"][quote="Zelley."]What are the measuring tools that you are using to claim you can throw a good punch?[/quote]

I've been told that by a couple of people. They also told me I lack proper punching technique, moving, and blocking. So, apparently I suck all around except an occasional punch here and there.[/quote]

Time to go to a boxing club and learn proper technique. :sunshine:
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

Word is the 2010 Provincial Boxing Championships will take place in Kelowna & Peachland
locations. That should be a solid boot for the region. :sunshine:
brian zelley

Post by brian zelley »

Zelley. wrote:Word is the 2010 Provincial Boxing Championships will take place in Kelowna & Peachland
locations. That should be a solid boot for the region. :sunshine:

well the 2010/2011 amateur boxing season is coming to and end and the question has still not been
answered
:skippingsheep:
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

[b]NO CONCLUSIONS ON THE BEST BOXING CLUB IN KELOWNA[/b]

It appears the choice is between the THISTLETOWN BOXING CLUB , and the KELOWNA BOXING CLUB, the various other
clubs may not be complete boxing clubs with top level amateur boxing coaches. So if the question relates to boxing, then
one needs to go to one of the two named clubs. :skippingsheep: :sunshine:
ranting

Post by ranting »

There walks a man Boy that is in kelowna , As I thread He just flew in from Bangkok after 6 months of training in Mauy thai. 2011 He was in thai for his first training at the age of 18. hE JUST CALLED AND SAID HES JUST DOING SOME PURE BOXING UNDERGROUND IN KELOWNA ! hIS nAME IS jUSTIN. :137: hE WON SIX PRO FIGHTS .
ranting

Post by ranting »

Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

[url][/url]Three boxing clubs have been mentioned with the two that are part of the
British Columbia Amateur Boxing Association which is the official body for
amateur boxing and a part of Boxing Canada.

The two would include the Kelowna Boxing Club and Thistletown, both have
experienced coaches and follow the current rules regarding safety etc. :sunshine:

http://zelleyonboxing.blogspot.ca/
Zelley.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Zelley. »

[quote="FreeRights"]If you want to learn how to [i]fight[/i], then a boxing club is not our best choice. Neither is Toshido. These are excellent sport teams, but there's a huge difference between boxing/MMA and actual fighting. It's better than nothing, but there are more realistic options available.

By most law enforcement and military professionals, Krav Maga is considered the best self defense. It isn't a martial art - it's a self defense system. And those who attest by it would know, since self defense is part of their job. Unfortunately, there's only three official training centres of true Krav Maga in Canada (closest is in Vancouver), so that's not a realistic option.

The best alternative in Kelowna is the Jiu Jitsu Academy of Combat Arts. They teach an excellent Jishin-Ryu Jujitsu class that is a modern take on traditional jiu jitsu.

There's a lot more to fighting than punching. Especially since it's easy to break your hand on a person's head, boxing only teaches one small portion of fighting - and they effectively ignore elbows, knees, kicks, headbutts, clinching, takedowns, groundfighting, and positional control. If you train boxing, punch a guy in the forehead once and break your hand, you'll be useless for the rest of the fight, and that could mean your life.

Boxing is a great sport, but as far as fighting goes, it's about as "useful" as taekwondo or kung-fu.[/quote]

Hitting someone in the forehead using the five basic requirements of effective punching will not result in a broken hand,
just some dude with a sore forehead.
First Strike

Post by First Strike »

I've heard good things about Thistletown Boxing if you're looking for strictly boxing. Also you might want to try out a new
Muay-Thai kickboxing club Manraje Muay Thai & Kickboxing. Kyle and Cody are excellent instructors and their classes are good for beginners to advanced. Here is their FaceBook page: https://www.facebook.com/ManrajeMuayThai?fref=ts.

Always try out a few clubs as they usually offer a free trail class as see which one is the right fit for you.

Cheers!
granty1uk

Post by granty1uk »

Hi guys, I'm currently living in UK but moving to West Kelowna very soon. I'm into Krav Maga and looking to find a local gym which do w s it when I move. If anyone can point me in the right direction for this, it would be much appreciated.

Paul G
First Strike

Post by First Strike »

granty1uk wrote:Hi guys, I'm currently living in UK but moving to West Kelowna very soon. I'm into Krav Maga and looking to find a local gym which do w s it when I move. If anyone can point me in the right direction for this, it would be much appreciated.

Paul G

There are a lot of great clubs in the Kelowna area. I don't know any that are specific to Krav Maga but your best bet is to look on-line and go try a few different clubs to see which is the best fit for you. Most clubs offer at least one FREE class to try it out.

Good luck and welcome to the Okanagan!

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”