It's the most cruel day of the year (Oct 31)

What you're doing when you're not working, or on facebook.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

It's the most cruel day of the year (Oct 31)

Post by Thinktank »

I just saw two tons of candy at the store today where I bought groceries.
Who is that candy for? Old folks? No. It's for kids.

Did you know kids get cavities more easily than adults? So to give candy
to kids is criminal, in my opinion. Once they rot their teeth, they must live
with it the rest of their life. So I think all that candy on sale for Halloween
is about as cruel, and disgusting as anything. Who invented the *bleep* 'holiday' anyway?
The devil himself?

What do you think?

Last edited by Thinktank on Oct 19th, 2011, 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Triple 6

Re: It's the most cru-el day ...of the year (Oct 31)

Post by Triple 6 »

You do know that candy is not the only reason teeth rot? How about the Mom's that let there infants/toddlers suck on bottles filled with milk or apple juice?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Halloween candy is not always the reason for tooth rot. Many things cause that from bad oral hygiene to family hereditary, lack of proper nutrition etc.

Halloween is quite an awesome day with alot of history behind it, as outlined in the following article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_around_the_world
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Halloween is awesome because we spend $billion dollars on it
and tons of candy is given to children. Why not give that candy
to old people, and give the children a book on nutrition?

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Thinktank wrote:Halloween is awesome because we spend $billion dollars on it
to old people, and give the children a book on nutrition?.

You don't have to participate in it. Nor do you have to buy candy. Do old people like candy?
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Libelle
Guru

Re: It's the most cruel day of the year (Oct 31)

Post by Libelle »

It is once a year! After they are done eating their candy they brush their teeth. Fruit leather is worse for their teeth than most candy is. Just because a kid eats candy it will not always lead to tooth decay. Be responsible about it.
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Halloween is awesome because we spend $billion dollars on it
to old people, and give the children a book on nutrition?.

I wouldn't want my house egged.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Sheesh ,Ienjoyed Halloween as a kid and years later as a parent. Its sad to see it slowly fading away. Just get them to brush their teeth for gods sake.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Oct 31 is an interesting day. One of my kid's teachers played scary music in the background in the classroom today. My child came home and told us she could hear sounds of people drowning, knives sharpening, and screaming. Personally, I hate fear and I hate blood and gore, so it's not my idea of a good time. Heck, even the Castanet font page pictures of zombies made me feel a little grossed out.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Glacier wrote:Heck, even the Castanet font page pictures of zombies made me feel a little grossed out.

Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

:coffeecanuck:
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
strwbrrydvl
Guru

Post by strwbrrydvl »

Triple 6 wrote: Do old people like candy?

Sure they do but only English mints and candied ginger.
Some people develop a wishbone where their backbone should be.
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Always good for a laugh, 'Tank, that is until I again remember people are this disassociated from reality.

Criminal to give candy to children.... Ya, if youre trying to lure them into the back of a van.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Sugar:

Leaving a Legacy of Dental Decay, Obesity, and Dysfunctional Immune Systems for our Children
by Michael Dye

As we pass through the supermarket aisles perpetuating another generation of dental decay, obesity, weakened bones, diabetes, hyperactivity, emotional imbalance and dysfunctional immune systems, we must ask ourselves the compelling question of why we consume sugar, and especially, why we give sugar to children.

more here
http://www.all-creatures.org/cb/a-sugar.html

Merchants marketing sugar have targeted children as their most lucrative customer base. Sugary products dominate the commercials on Saturday morning cartoons. In Living Health, the Diamonds cite a Los Angeles Times article reporting that in one nine-month period it was possible for a child watching television just during the daytime on weekends to see "more than 5,500 commercials for cereals, candy, and other sugared items, and just one for vegetables!"

To cash in on this lucrative advertising, check-out counters are designed to maximize sales. So in supermarkets and convenience stores we find a vast selection of candies on display in easy reach and at eye level for every kid in America, from toddlers to adolescents.

In Beating the Food Giants, Paul Stitt writes, "The truth is that most of the garbage sold in supermarkets isn't really food at all. Some of it is really candy, most of it is really poison. But it's not food... These products should be revealed for what they are, so that people can decide for themselves. For instance, Kellogg's Sugar Smacks, a product that's more than 50% sugar, should not be called a cereal. The word 'cereal' denotes a food made from grain, but Sugar Smacks isn't a food and what little grain is left in it has been robbed of its nourishment. Sugar Smacks is a candy and that's what it should be called. When mothers across the nation find out they've been giving their kids candy for breakfast, Kellogg's -- and all the other presweetened breakfast producers -- will soon be out of business."
Last edited by Thinktank on Oct 20th, 2011, 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Last edited by Thinktank on Oct 20th, 2011, 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Entertainment, Food, Travel, the Arts”