When the Gestapo comes knocking....

Bagotricks
Lord of the Board

Re: When the gestapo comes knocking....

Post by Bagotricks »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:
violatedinvernon wrote:I really didn't think it was real marijuana..it looks like hay or grass clippings...street value of $0.00 I'm sure...regardless, it did not belong to us....

"Possession is 9/10ths of the law". 'Finding' it is not good reason to "keep it around'.
"Shake" is Marijuana.

....and if the warrant was based on false information...the bag of pot they found doesn't even exist.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Re: When the Gestapo comes knocking....

Post by KL3-Something »

WhatThe wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:
WhatThe wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong but if the cop could smell marijuana from the door that would constitute Probable and reasonable cause to search the premises without a warrant.

Kl-3. Care to comment?

Short answer: No.

Only if you can see the plants (or stolen property or what ever illegal items you are dealing with) in plain sight while already inside the house for a lawful purpose. Even still, cops should hold the scene, go back and write up an ITO and ask a judge or justice of the peace if you have enough grounds to enter into some else's home to search for said items. Which in this case the cop obviously did. If he was lying about what he put into the ITO, like some people here are alleging, then that will come out in due course. If there are exigent circumstances where taking the time to obtain a warrant could lead to the imminent destruction of evidence then they can enter without warrant.

Warrantless searches and the granting of search warrants are complicated legal matters that are far from cut and dried in most situations.

So the officer would have to be inside the premises. Looking through a front door window and seeing illegal items would not constitute reasonable and probable cause?

Sure. Looking through the front window (provided you were on the property for a lawful reason and not just snooping) and seeing the illegal items can form your reasonable grounds to believe that the items are in that house. But in order to be actually allowed to enter the house to seize the items requires a warrant unless exigent circumstances exist. Those grounds will go towards requesting that warrant.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Commissioner Paulson stated flatly that too many Mounties today believe that their authority entitles them to misuse power. He said his 30,000 employees need to better understand accountability and leadership – or the Mounties may be “one or two more earth-shattering heartbreaks” away from losing all credibility.

There was definately misuse of power in this case
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

ticat900 wrote:Commissioner Paulson stated flatly that too many Mounties today believe that their authority entitles them to misuse power. He said his 30,000 employees need to better understand accountability and leadership – or the Mounties may be “one or two more earth-shattering heartbreaks” away from losing all credibility.

No it wasn't. In this case a Justice of the Peace signed on the dotted line giving them the authority to enter that residence. This was not the type of situation that Paulson was referring to.

Just to be clear: The opinions expressed above are mine and do not represent those of any other person, class of persons or organization.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

KL3-Something wrote:
ticat900 wrote:Commissioner Paulson stated flatly that too many Mounties today believe that their authority entitles them to misuse power. He said his 30,000 employees need to better understand accountability and leadership – or the Mounties may be “one or two more earth-shattering heartbreaks” away from losing all credibility.

No it wasn't. In this case a Justice of the Peace signed on the dotted line giving them the authority to enter that residence. This was not the type of situation that Paulson was referring to.

Its abuse of power in my opinion because a warrrent was not warrented but the cop in question knew if he embelished the situation he would get his warrent and he was going back and show the Mouthy women who was boss.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

So which information in his ITO did he embellish in order to get that warrant? Do tell.

DeepEnd
Fledgling

Re: When the gestapo comes knocking....

Post by DeepEnd »

violatedinvernon wrote:the bag of marijuana that was found in the home was not the type anyone would smoke...the fellow who left it here referred to it as "shake"...not really sure what that is but we stuck it in a drawer last June or so so the kid's wouldn't find it and figured we would burn it in a fire or something later and completely forgetting about it...just so people know, there was no evidence found of any "real" marijuana or grow op equipment which the accusing officer swore an oath that he would find in our house...half of the attending officers left shortly after arriving as it was apparent to them that they were wasting their time...but "Dudley Doright" and his reputation was on the line as he was the one who initiated the warrant, felt that there was evidence that he was right about the grow op and I believe would have done anything to convince his fellow officers that one was there...I really don't understand how he convinced a judge to sign this warrant based on his super inaccurate sense of smell!

I'm sorry but if the Gestapo came to your door, you, your spouse and children would have been taken away and shot or sent to a labour camp. That's what happened in WWII.

You did not check well enough into your home inspection and got ripped off if an inspector can't see signs of amateur remodeling or cover ups. Two, your Realtor may have known as many don't care as why areas of the house have been changed. The police obviously have a record of this house.

Show a picture of a suitable bag of oregano to five 7 year olds and here's what you would get.

images.jpg

#1 "that's a bag of pot!"
#2 "yeah, that's pot alright"
#3 "doesn't look like bud"
#4 "looks like shake to me"

and the 7 year old kid to watch out for

#5 "that's a bag of that crap oregano stuff. someone got ripped. if you guys want the real stuff my parents hide theirs in a drawer"

Where and how do you live that you wouldn't suspect a baggy as pot? I don't mean you're a druggy but I've seen ads used by the police to inform people of what it looks like. Why you kept the baggy is beyond me and you will pay the price for your decision.

Leading a sheltered life can be nice but what you don't know can come back and bite you. Ignorance is bliss except in law.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

^^ What DeepEnd said. Having had a bad experience with them myself (actually, it was my wife) I have no doubt that some police abuse their authority. However, having said that it's a bit of a stretch to compare them to the Gestapo. My own father was a Dutch Resistance fighter during WW2 and was arrested and tortured by the Gestapo. He managed to escape the day before he was supposed to be executed, otherwise my family and I wouldn't even exist.

I understand why some people get upset with the police, but equating them with the Gestapo is disingenuous to say the least. I also think there's a lot more to this story than the OP's telling us.
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Verminator wrote:^^ What DeepEnd said. Having had a bad experience with them myself (actually, it was my wife) I have no doubt that some police abuse their authority. However, having said that it's a bit of a stretch to compare them to the Gestapo. My own father was a Dutch Resistance fighter during WW2 and was arrested and tortured by the Gestapo. He managed to escape the day before he was supposed to be executed, otherwise my family and I wouldn't even exist.

I understand why some people get upset with the police, but equating them with the Gestapo is disingenuous to say the least. I also think there's a lot more to this story than the OP's telling us.

On the contrare Gestapo has been a slang term for rcmp as long as I can remember.My elders used the term all the years I was growing up.I personally dont get the same reference as your getting.
I too cant help but think there,s more to this story also but the OP never seems to want to set the record straight here
so all we can do is speculate
DeepEnd
Fledgling

Re: When Ignorant Hippies buy a house...

Post by DeepEnd »

ticat900 wrote:
Verminator wrote:^^ What DeepEnd said. Having had a bad experience with them myself (actually, it was my wife) I have no doubt that some police abuse their authority. However, having said that it's a bit of a stretch to compare them to the Gestapo. My own father was a Dutch Resistance fighter during WW2 and was arrested and tortured by the Gestapo. He managed to escape the day before he was supposed to be executed, otherwise my family and I wouldn't even exist.

On the contrare Gestapo has been a slang term for rcmp as long as I can remember.My elders used the term all the years I was growing up.I personally dont get the same reference as your getting.
I too cant help but think there,s more to this story also but the OP never seems to want to set the record straight here
so all we can do is speculate

Since the RCMP did not use common Gestapo tactics i fail to see the relationship between the two to warrant the title. The use of a slang description for the purpose of shock value devalues their case.

Why not pick any other police in the past to compare them to; KGB, MVD, NKVD, Stasi, Santebal etc.

Because Gestapo has a greater shock value even though these other organizations make the Gestapo look like playground monitors people continue to use the term without knowing the usage of the term.

So in my eyes comparing the RCMP to the Gestapo means the RCMP are pretty mild on the scale of secret police.
Never pass up the opportunity to do good.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

KL3-Something wrote:
ticat900 wrote:
KL3-Something wrote:

Its abuse of power in my opinion because a warrrent was not warrented but the cop in question knew if he embelished the situation he would get his warrent and he was going back and show the Mouthy women who was boss.

So which information in his ITO did he embellish in order to get that warrant? Do tell.

Still waiting to hear.........

ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

KL3 something

Lets just pretend that your Fred Biddlecombe and Iam Mr Rossmo nuff said :sillygrin:
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

ticat900 wrote:KL3 something

Lets just pretend that your Fred Biddlecombe and Iam Mr Rossmo nuff said :sillygrin:

Instead of playing pretend in a completely off-topic way how about we just agree that you have absolutely no way to back up your allegation....

ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

KL3-Something wrote:
ticat900 wrote:KL3 something

Instead of playing pretend in a completely off-topic way how about we just agree that you have absolutely no way to back up your allegation....

OK
since your a little dense obviously look at this way.One simply cannot beleive that some cop can obtain a seach warrent
every time he thinks he smells someone simply smoking MaryJ in their own home??? So exactly what did he lie to the justice of the peace about in order to get him or her to sign a warrent.Based on the OP testimoney I say the cop was insenced because they are so arrogant in general(cops) by the women and husband basically telling the cop to f--k ioff and leave them alone.He lied to the JOTP to obtain a bogus search warrent to "teach" these people a lesson.Its as obvious as the nose on your face even though your too bisaed to see both side,s here.
KL3-Something
Lord of the Board

Post by KL3-Something »

Oh, I see. You are taking the word of the OP as the entire truth about what occurred......gotcha.

You want to talk about being biased and only being able to see one side......

Return to “Central Okanagan”