Best beach in Vernon, BC?

mijustin

Best beach in Vernon, BC?

Post by mijustin »

We're coming back to Vernon this summer. The last time through, we only had a few days and didn't have time to check out the lake.

What's the best beach in Vernon for a family to enjoy?
crysmom

Re: Best beach in Vernon, BC?

Post by crysmom »

Paddle wheel park or Kal beach
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Paddle wheel (OK lake) is great for families as there is shade and grass, as well as a playground. Kal(amalka) beach is nice too, but it is all sand, and shade is limited. It can be very crowded on hot days.

Juniper Bay in Kalamalka Provincial park is nice but it is a bit of walk and there are a lot of marmots.

Keloya Beach, on Kalamalka Lake is near Oyama and is well worth the short drive (about 20km) especially if you want to spend the day.
http://www.vernonbeaches.com/vernon_bc_kaloya.htm

Have fun where ever you go and remember to always towel off right after swimming to ensure you don't get swimmers itch.
ole smelly
Fledgling

Post by ole smelly »

If you are looking for a nude one head south along the railroad tracks and you should find one for your liking. Private and public sites. :sunshine:
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

A nice day at any Vernon beach has to include watching a dog do it's business in the water, or burying it in the sand. And having the RCMP beach patrol cruise through on their bikes, receive a complaint about dogs on the beach, and have the police do nothing because "its a bylaw and you'll have to contact City Hall about the dog on the beach and they'll have to send out the By-Law Officer." But it's Sunday!!
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Why aen'tthere any BBQ pits on Vernon beaches anymore?
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Fritzthecat wrote:Why aen'tthere any BBQ pits on Vernon beaches anymore?

Because of the idjits who don't ensure the coals are dead before leaving.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

coffeeFreak wrote:
Because of the idjits who don't ensure the coals are dead before leaving.

That's odd because it is only the Okanagan where I can't find BBQ pits. Must be all the idiots in the Okanagan then as you have alluded to.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Have never seen nor ever heard of a BBQ pit on a public beach? where did someone dream that up from
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

They had them at Ellison Park years ago , they even supplied the wood.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

ticat900 wrote:Have never seen nor ever heard of a BBQ pit on a public beach? where did someone dream that up from

Leave the Okanagan and they are all over the place :127:
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

I'd bet its forrest fire related. Oh well feels like a non issue.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Back in the 50's and 60's there were bbq pits along the creek in Polson Park. What a joy to go there and get out of our hot homes. I guess those are long-gone now too?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Graphite wrote:I'd bet its forrest fire related. Oh well feels like a non issue.

I don't think so. I have seen BBQ pits up through the Fraser Canyon, the Kamloops area, Keremeous area (Can't spell Similkameen) as well the Boundary Country which are all dry areas. I think it is more to do with the intolerance people in Vernon and the Okanagan have for one another. 35 years in Vernon and people are always complaining about what their neighbour is doing regardless if it affects them or not.
When I was in Hawaii a few years ago, every day at around 5:00pm the parks would fill up, the air would be heavy with charcoal BBQ and people would have music going, beer flowing etc. It was an every day after work activity. Of course us poor Okanagan people stood with our jaws open as this would seen as an act of treason in Vernon.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

That explains alot.

The negativity is ingrained in Vernonistas from birth!

The best beach I've been to in Vernon is.......@15k South!

:sillygrin:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”