Organic pest control for backyard Cherries?

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Organic pest control for backyard Cherries?

Post by KelownaCC »

I know there are organic cherry orchards in the valley, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can provide the organic pest control treatment for a backyard, residential tree. Usually we do not spray the tree with pesticide because of concern for pets that eat the grass under the tree & kids that play next door. We then cannot eat the cherries because they always get the cherry fruit fly worms. I know there are local companies that will spray the tree with pesticide for reasonable rates, but I'd really like to find a more environmentally friendly alternative.
I did contact an organic cherry orchard owner 2 years ago about this, but he only knew of how to obtain the organic sprays in large quantities for commercial use, and did not have any suggestions for me. Does anyone out there have cherry trees and do you use pesticides or have you found a source for the organic sprays?
cv23
Guru

Re: Organic pest control for backyard Cherries?

Post by cv23 »

You might try contacting Cathy, she's a wealth of info.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Garde ... 1102126685
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCC »

Thanks - I have emailed her. I read on her Facebook page that there is a sticky tape you can get to trap the fruit flies. If anyone has any experience with that, please let me know. My tree is big, so if its worthwhile I'd likely have to have a sticky tape hanging party or something.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Duct tape wrapped sticky side out around the trunk of the tree starting right at the base should help.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://www.organicagcentre.ca/Docs/FiBL ... v10-05.pdf

Cherry trees

1. In October: attach sticky tape to tree trunks to trap winter moths.

2. During the winter months: eliminate mummified fruit and infected wood to combat brown rot, bitter rot and wood and bark diseases

3. From bud burst to green tip: 1–2 preventative treatments against shoot blight with a clay (1 %) or copper-based
(0.05–0.2 %) product. If the possibility of infection is high, repeat the treatment until the bloom phase is over. If temperatures rise over 12 °C, replace with wetable sulfur (0.6 %).

4. From green tip to bud swell: preventive treatment against shoot blight (see point 3).

5. From bud swell to bloom: treatment with Bacillus thuringiensis to repel moths
Treatment conditions: >7 caterpillars/100 inflorescences and temperatures above 15 °C.

6.Bloom: preventive treatment against shoot blight (see point 3).

7. Treatment with a feverfew or rotenone-based product (0.1–0.2 %) if the threshold of more than 7 black cherry aphids per 100 inflorescences is exceeded.

7a. Petal fall: anti-moth treatment (see point 5). Preventive treatment against shoot blight (see point 3).

8. Fruit development until end of growing period: when the fruit changes from green to yellow (mid-May) set traps for cherry fruit flies (except for the early varieties) in the south, east and west (1 Frutect trap or 4–8 Rebell traps per tree)

No direct intervention against bitter rot.

Bacillus thuringiensis
http://www.organicagcentre.ca/Docs/FiBL ... v10-05.pdf

OR ... go to a craft store and buy some spray glue and use that on the base of the tree. When it gets dry or ineffective, spray on more.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
cinisterly

Post by cinisterly »

My old neighbours net their trees. They are these big mesh nets you put over the trees after the blooms (not sure exact timing) and they keep the bugs out. The first year they used them they still got a few but last year they had the most beautiful big juicy cherries without a bug or chemical in site!
They are pricey but worth it if you plan on living there a long time and want to eat your cherries.. I don't know the name of the company but i'm pretty sure they were local to the okanagan.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCC »

I have seen the nets - they are very expensive. We went with a local tree spraying company that offers the "organic" spray - called GF-120 NF. It only helps against fruit fries though, not the leaf rollers that can damage the cherries later in the year. Our tree is an early variety though, so likely the fruit will be ready before the leaf rollers would affect them. Now if only the birds would stop eating them! With 3 cats, you'd think they'd be out there having a smorgasbord or at least chasing the birds off.
xjeepguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by xjeepguy »

KelownaCC wrote:I have seen the nets - they are very expensive. We went with a local tree spraying company that offers the "organic" spray - called GF-120 NF. It only helps against fruit fries though, not the leaf rollers that can damage the cherries later in the year. Our tree is an early variety though, so likely the fruit will be ready before the leaf rollers would affect them. Now if only the birds would stop eating them! With 3 cats, you'd think they'd be out there having a smorgasbord or at least chasing the birds off.

We have some cherry trees out back and the only problem we've had is the darn birds . We just make sure the soil is well mulched and full of organic goodies and so far haven't had a big problem with other pests. Mmmmm black cherries .
When a man opens a car door for his wife, it's either a new car or a new wife
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

It sounds like in most cases you have to spray unless you get one of those nets.. Do those nets have to be up year round?
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Gf-120 is an organic spray.

It works amazingly well on fruit flys.

You put a little bit of it in a small sprayer and you go
andspray a small amount near the top of the tree in five locations.
It's easy. Takes about fifteen minutes and you do it once per week
starting in june and finishing in July.

It's totally organic and works.

But it costs about $100 because it's only available in a big container.

but for two big cherry trees, if the stuff lasts two years, it's okay.

Commercially grown cherries are one crop I would absolutely not eat
even if someone paid me. Too much pesticide used right before picking

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

Fruit flies are not the only pest that attack cherry trees.

Also, you don't have to eat commercially grown cherries.
flued1006

Post by flued1006 »

Hello
Homemade remedies are inexpensive and, best of all, you know what is going into your garden. Many homemade sprays have been used with good results to control harmful insects. They usually involve noxious (but non-toxic) ingredients such as garlic, cayenne, stinging nettles or horsetail which are diluted in water and blended to be sprayed on the plants. Here are a few simple formulas:
Soft-bodied insects (mites, aphids, mealybugs):
Mix one tablespoon canola oil and a few drops of Ivory soap into a quart of water. Shake well and pour into a spray bottle. Spray plant from above down, and from below up to get the underside of the leaves. The oil smothers the termites.
Last edited by flued1006 on Aug 28th, 2017, 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Cut the tree down and buy your cherries. It is irresponsible to have a fruit tree that you have admitted to not caring for properly and are simply creating a host tree for the pests that threaten commercial orchards.

Just plant something that looks good and support local farmers. Most of the advice you have gotten on here is non specific to your problem and is worthless to you.
You and 71 others Like this post

Return to “Creative Endeavours”