Swan Lake Wakeboarding

vernongeek

Swan Lake Wakeboarding

Post by vernongeek »

Hey there fellow Castanetters. Anyone else out there notice the
RED license plates at the boat launch parking lot of Swan Lake? Or better
yet, notice the wake-boarders and the jet skis on Swan Lake bombing around?
I have put a letter out there to the Ministry of Environment calling for a
power boat ban above 9.9HP as I can't believe people would bring there
power boats on there anyways. That lake should be classified as a marsh not
a lake. So to all the people out there on Swan Lake that blast your music and create
wakes that create mini tsunamis which swamp the bird nests, get lost and go
drive 10 minutes down the road to Okanagan Lake or Kalamalka Lake with your
power boats. Stop being so lazy and go unload your boat over at the other
lakes.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Swan Lake Wakeboarding

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

:castanet: :castanet:
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

If there's no restrictions Swan LAKE it's fair game to use. I would imagine its like glass on there.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Gixxer wrote:If there's no restrictions Swan LAKE it's fair game to use. I would imagine its like glass on there.

I cannot dispute Gixxer that it is fair game, however it does not make it right. I am not sure if you ever been out on Swan Lake or not, but it seems to me it is a very sensitive habitat. There are Blue Herons, Cranes, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Ospreys, and even Red Tailed Hawks that all appear to be nesting in the area around Swan Lake. Those are just the birds I have spotted personally. Read this link from the government. It talks about the Western Grebe and how power boating has affected the lake and also talks about what the power boats do to the habitats within Swan Lake specifically.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/wld/documents/ ... s/wr87.pdf

Also so you know most of the South side of the lake is secured by Ducks Unlimited Canada. There are even signs posted on the lake about disturbing the birds. Does not seem to bother the people with their fancy boats and they burn by these signs like there are no signs in existent. They also leave there trash in the lake for people like me to clean up. Seems pretty oblivious to me, and ignorant. In today's society we all need to be protective of what is left of our environment. Really what is wrong with driving an extra 10 minutes to one of the other lakes to go wake boarding?

Because the water is so high this year, it makes it much better for boating, on the flip side, the waves are much higher which in effect definately are affecting the birds nests on the shorelines. Also the glass thing, that would be true if there were no boats. The boats create some fancy waves that make it wavy like the bigger lakes. So much for kayaking out there this year! Although on the otherhand, the waves make it fun for kayak surfing.
bcpaul
Fledgling

Post by bcpaul »

No Kayaks either. They are a menace to the nesting birds.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

bcpaul wrote:No Kayaks either. They are a menace to the nesting birds.

Seriously lets not be silly here and not get carried away, lets be realistic Paul.

There is a reason that specific lakes have boating restrictions and others do not. The government is well aware of the damage that boats do cause to sensitive ecosystems. I am saying perhaps the MOE should revisit Swan Lake's boating restrictions as they are not up to par with today's boats that create rather large wakes on the water.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I agree with you, vernongeek.

However, one thing I have learned ... the green freeks are only green when they wanna be. If they wanna run their fast powerboats and ruin the natural environment in Swan Lake (or anywhere), their "green-ness" goes out the window along with their brains.

The natural environment and the birds' nesting sites are far more important than their boats.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

grammafreddy wrote:I agree with you, vernongeek.

However, one thing I have learned ... the green freeks are only green when they wanna be. If they wanna run their fast powerboats and ruin the natural environment in Swan Lake (or anywhere), their "green-ness" goes out the window along with their brains.

The natural environment and the birds' nesting sites are far more important than their boats.

Thanks for agreeing, and I agree 110% with your statement. I guess I just thought it was common sense to not go wake boarding, or jet skiing on a lake that looks like a marsh. There is even a giant billboard made by Ducks Unlimited Canada claiming part of the lake. It does amaze me that so many people just ignore even the literal floating signs on Swan Lake and are completely oblivious to the facts that the power boats cause damage to the nesting grounds.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The Vernon rowing club should'nt be allowed on either.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

Gixxer wrote:The Vernon rowing club should'nt be allowed on either.

Lets not get off topic on this Gixxer. The topic is regarding power boats and the damage caused by the waves that they create, in particular wakeboard boats, and the fact these boat owners can literally drive an extra 10 minutes to Okanagan or Kalamalka Lake. Read the signs on the lake, and the giant sign as you drive by Swan Lake.
rush

Post by rush »

I dont know the rules regarding power boats on swan lake,but I was always told by people that the only power boats allowed on swan lake was the national water ski team that trains there.There has been a water ski course set up there for years.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

rush wrote:I dont know the rules regarding power boats on swan lake,but I was always told by people that the only power boats allowed on swan lake was the national water ski team that trains there.There has been a water ski course set up there for years.

That I don't know about, but if there are specific agreements in place then it's fine, as it is still a boat restriction. If that is the case, then why are the wake-boarders and the jet-ski's out there?
I am sure that the national water ski team is well aware of the South End of Swan Lake being under Ducks Unlimited Protection and hopefully they do stick to the North end of the lake. The main problem in my view is you get mainly red license plates at the boat launch and the odd local that have no clue about the area and just go anywhere on the lake, it is a huge lack of respect for the environment in my opinion.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Swan Lake Provincial Park website: complete with lovely power boat on front page...

http://www.discoverthepeacecountry.com/ ... akebc.html

Swan Lake Provincial Park BC was built in 1918 and is the 3rd oldest park in British Columbia. The park is 67 ha (165 acres). The lake is very shallow with the maximum depth of only 3 meters.

Swan Lake Provincial Park offers camping and plenty of activities to keep all ages entertained for hours. There are large grassy fields and a baseball diamond is also located next to the campground. You can go hiking along the lakeside trail. The sandy beach and warm waters are perfect for swimming, waterskiing, fishing, and sunbathing. Excellent fishing for Northern Pike and Walleye.

They invite tourists to waterski. Can't waterski without a power boat.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

Sure hope you realise that you're talking about two different lakes!!!!???
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

danmartin wrote:Sure hope you realise that you're talking about two different lakes!!!!???

I am talking about Swan Lake in Vernon BC.. Umm not in Dawson Creek. Thanks for pointing that out danmartin.
:nutzoid:

Return to “Central Okanagan”