Tubing in Enderby

Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Tubing in Enderby

Post by Always Sunny »

Some friends are I are looking to float down the river tomorrow.

Does anyone have any knowledge of what the river is like right now?

We went to Penticton last weekend and it was pretty packed, so I'm imagining the same thing this weekend, if not worse. The water was really high and under two hours from Okanagan to Skaha.

If you had any suggestions for specific start and end points that would be great too.

Thanks!
coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Tubing in Enderby

Post by coffeeFreak »

There is also a table on this link showing the estimated float times depending on where you start on the river.

From July 1 to August 31, you will see people at hand-launches wearing blue and green "River Ambassador" uniforms; if you have any questions, be sure to ask these friendly, knowledgeable people for assistance!

Read before floating!
- If you are new to tubing or the river in general, start with the slowest, safest, and shortest route: Belvidere Park to Tuey Park.
- If you want to stop early, you can get out at the boat launch north of the Riverside RV Park.
- All travel times will change depending on the level of the river. The higher the river is at any given time, the faster it is flowing. This will decrease the travel time, but it does increase the danger level on all routes.
- Every person on the river, regardless of age or strength, must carry and/or wear a Personal Flotation Device and whistle. It is the law!
-All routes (and all bodies of water) possess hazards and dangers; educate yourself beforehand and follow all safety precautions. The Shuswap River is a river, not a channel; as a naturally flowing body of water, it possesses many more hazards and unpredictable features than a man-made channel.
- Don't tie your tubes together or tie your tube to yourself.
- Prepare adequately for longer floats. Longer floats can be very tiring and chilling. Plan ahead so that you do not find yourself cold, exhausted, and frustrated. Bring sufficient water to keep yourself hydrated. We would advise you to apply bug spray.
- The parking capacity is limited at many of the launch sites. Please do not park in a way that is dangerous or blocks the flow of traffic. If you cannot find a parking spot, please select another location or use the Enderby Tube Taxi.
- Only get on and off at designated launch sites. The river does run through or along private property for much of its length and it is expected that tubefloaters be courteous to and respectful of the privacy of those living along the river.
- Do not attempt to float from Enderby to Grindrod or from Grindrod to Mara Lake. Travel time for either trip exceeds daylight hours.
- Respect our river. Pack out what you pack in.
- Respect other users of the river and those who live along the river. Common courtesy allows everybody to enjoy the river.
- Open alcohol and intoxication while on the river is subject to the same laws as a public space on dry land. Police patrol the river and launch sites regularly.
- Please enjoy yourself, respect others, respect our river, and be safe.

Also, be sure to check out the Enderby Tube Taxi, a local business which provides tube rentals, life jackets, and shuttle service. Whether you are a seasoned professional or new to the river, the Tube Taxi can help to plan a first-class tubefloat adventure for you!

http://www.enderbychamber.com/tourism/tubing.htm
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Are you familiar with the Shuswap and rives in general? There is at least one death per year on the Shuswap and usually more. The current gets pretty strong despite the calm surface. After being born and raised in the North Okanagan, I refuse to go into that river. The under tow almost got me once.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I totally agree Fritz. I have a friend who went down the river a few years ago. He almost didn't make it, sadly his brother did not.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

coffeeFreak wrote:I totally agree Fritz. I have a friend who went down the river a few years ago. He almost didn't make it, sadly his brother did not.

It is not an amusement park ride, it is a wild uncontrolled river. USE CAUTION!
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

http://boundarysentinel.com/news/memori ... B1tE_XddUM

The Legares were part of a large flotilla of rafts and tubes enjoying what was a normal summer day on the Kettle River. Near the pull out point above the falls, unexpected currents made it difficult to exit the river. Some people were able to swim to shore, but three people did not survive and may have drowned before even reaching the falls.

Unexpected currents from high-running rivers are the norm this year and anyone who wants to spend time in the water should continue to be cautious, McGregor added saying there is no easy solution to preventing the deaths that happen on rivers.

“You can’t prevent these things from happening,” said McGregor. “You can post signs along the river for 25 kilometres – you don’t know where people are putting in – you don’t know what their intent is. People always think signs are the answer for every situation. I don’t know if signs would have made any difference here. They knew what they were doing… I assume they got into faster water than they intended right where you’re supposed to bail out and so that changes the picture real fast.”

It doesn't take much to get into trouble on a river - especially this year. The unexpected has a way of happening and people just keep taking chances and end up dead.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Boots Riley

Post by Boots Riley »

Fritzthecat wrote:Are you familiar with the Shuswap and rives in general? There is at least one death per year on the Shuswap and usually more. The current gets pretty strong despite the calm surface. After being born and raised in the North Okanagan, I refuse to go into that river. The under tow almost got me once.

look at you. Dropping knowledge about a place that you grew up from 30 minutes away, yet probably have only spent a few hours on. I grew up ON that river. It's perfectly safe as long as you show a little respect for the current, and only float between Ashton Creek and Enderby. Most all of the deaths are between the Hupple straight stretch and the Ashton Creek bridge, and they're people who aren't locals. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in a fishing hole at 8:30 at night and some clowns who are from out of town roll through on their tubes and ask how much longer it is to Enderby, because they've been on the River for 4 hours.

Educate yourself on your surroundings before you enter them.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Boots Riley wrote:

look at you. Dropping knowledge about a place that you grew up from 30 minutes away, yet probably have only spent a few hours on. I grew up ON that river. It's perfectly safe as long as you show a little respect for the current, and only float between Ashton Creek and Enderby. Most all of the deaths are between the Hupple straight stretch and the Ashton Creek bridge, and they're people who aren't locals. I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in a fishing hole at 8:30 at night and some clowns who are from out of town roll through on their tubes and ask how much longer it is to Enderby, because they've been on the River for 4 hours.

Educate yourself on your surroundings before you enter them.

DO NOT make assumptions about me.
Boots Riley

Post by Boots Riley »

try reposting without personal attacks - Jennylives
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

removed - Jennylives
Boots Riley

Post by Boots Riley »

Not sure how calling someone chief constitutes a personal attack, but I digress.
Green-light
Fledgling

Post by Green-light »

Boots Riley wrote:I grew up ON that river. It's perfectly safe as long as you show a little respect for the current, and only float between Ashton Creek and Enderby. Educate yourself on your surroundings before you enter them.

I'm sorry, but to say ANY river is "perfectly safe" is a misleading and quite frankly not a smart thing to say out loud (so to speak).

I was not born a river rat nor a skeeter, so I cannot lay claim to growing up ON any river. I have however spent many an hour tubing down rivers from one coast to another. There is NO such thing as a safe river.

Please...anyone reading this forum thread...please disregard anyone telling you a river is perfectly safe. Their advice is not what you should wish to embrace.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Green-light wrote:I'm sorry, but to say ANY river is "perfectly safe" is a misleading and quite frankly not a smart thing to say out loud (so to speak).

I was not born a river rat nor a skeeter, so I cannot lay claim to growing up ON any river. I have however spent many an hour tubing down rivers from one coast to another. There is NO such thing as a safe river.

Please...anyone reading this forum thread...please disregard anyone telling you a river is perfectly safe. Their advice is not what you should wish to embrace.

Well consider the source.
Poeple who think a river is "perfeclty safe" usually end up dead under a log jam.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Rivers are not perfectly safe that's for sure. We took this pic right from the Shuswap River Rec. Site off of Hwy. 6. The current was so strong in one particular section I had to really struggle to keep my balance while crossing. There were lots of people using the river at the time, mostly in chairs or just standing in it. Not my idea of fun.
Attachments
sign 35.jpg
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Except for Shuswap Fall I'm not to familiar with the stretch of Shuswap River between Sugar Lake & Mabel.

But from Mabel Lake to Mara Lake the only section to stay away from are chucks just down from Mabel Lake. From that point down to Mara Lake is fairly smooth tubing.

Going from Trinity Valley bridge near Ashton Creek to Enderby is a number of hours (5 to 7), so be prepared for that bring fresh water, sealed energy bar & most importantly sun screen (waterproof).

It's about same amount of time from Enderby bridge to Grindrod bridge, so be prepared.

**Always Safety first**

Go in groups of more than 2, I always follow my motto: "know your limit & play within it". (no sure who used it first me or the lotto)

Added: There are a few public access points along the river which would shorting tubing trip. (As to Private Access points) In most cases if you politely ask property owners along the river for access, most often it's not a problem....... but do ask first Okay.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Central Okanagan”