Tubing in Enderby

coffeeFreak
Guru

Re: Tubing in Enderby

Post by coffeeFreak »

My 18yr old daughter is going tubing with a friend on Friday out of Enderby. You can be sure I quizzed her about safety but have no need to worry. She and her friend researched the river, made some phone calls and have decided on the shortest and safest float stretch. With their tube rental they also get a life jacket to wear and a shuttle back to their vehicle.

*On the Enderby and District Chamber website it says it is mandatory to wear a life jacket and to have a whistle while floating in the river.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

My good god. I've floated that river so many times without so much as the slightest problem.

Just don't be stupid and keep your alcohol intake to a minimum.

coffeeFreak wrote:*On the Enderby and District Chamber website it says it is mandatory to wear a life jacket and to have a whistle while floating in the river.

Not that it's a bad idea, but it says that so they don't get sued.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

StraitTalk wrote:Just don't be stupid and keep your alcohol intake to a minimum.

Don't drink alcohol at all.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
RacerChic
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by RacerChic »

We went a few weeks ago and were met by "river ambassadors" that were very thorough in thier introduction to the river. It was SO much nicer than the Channel in Penticton!
But lemme tell ya!, that current was soooooooo strong when we got out! Next year we are gonna start at 8am and go to Grindrod. Just for kicks.
I swear some people slipped into the gene pool that had no lifEguard.
KelownaCC
Fledgling

Post by KelownaCC »

I floated the river from Trinity Bridge to Enderby last weekend with about 9 friends. It took us about 4 hours. You have to be very aware of where you are in relation to possible obstacles such as deadheads, sharp branches sticking out, some shallower, faster sections of water etc. We had a couple of paddles and used them to keep us in the safer sections of water. At no point did I feel we were in any danger. Most of us had floated this section before and there were many strong swimmers and people with first aid training among us. I did not find the current to be fast at all when getting out at Enderby.
I strongly recommend taking a paddle or two, and lots of water and food, and be aware of your surroundings.
StraitTalk
Lord of the Board

Post by StraitTalk »

GordonH wrote:
Don't drink alcohol at all.

In a perfect world.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

ive done the river 4 times in the last couple weeks from the trinity bridge to enderby.
the water is very warm and slow right now, its a great ride.
take a life jacket along as its a big fine if you get caught without.
as for beer if you do just take your cans home and dont leave a mess for others.
personally i see no reason to not enjoy a cold beer while floating for 5 hrs in a tube, it is drinking in public mind you.
play safe and its one of the most enjoyable days you can have for no cost.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

*Bump as new season of tubing grows near*
Know your †limit play and have fun within it, be safe wear a lifejacket

Some info from Enderby http://www.enderbychamber.com/tourism/tubing.htm

Even though you are in a river, should bring water with you.

(† not only alcohol intake, also swimming ability before & after drinking)
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Queen K wrote:Rivers are not perfectly safe that's for sure. We took this pic right from the Shuswap River Rec. Site off of Hwy. 6. The current was so strong in one particular section I had to really struggle to keep my balance while crossing. There were lots of people using the river at the time, mostly in chairs or just standing in it. Not my idea of fun.

The river is perfectly safe from Sugar down to Enderby except for 3 sections, but you do have to watch for log jams between Sugar and Mabel. The Falls is obviously the one you have to avoid if you want to live, but I wouldn't chance the chucks without being an expert kayakker.

The river gets kind of slow and boring as you approach Enderby. Kayaking Mission Creek is more fun.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kaboomski

Post by kaboomski »

all the rain in late june made the river come back up after it crested. its probably going to be a short tubing season this year.
petspal
Fledgling

Post by petspal »

I can't seem to find out much info about tubing in Enderby
Has anyone been this month....July 2013

Return to “Central Okanagan”