Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Post by Fritzthecat »

4 years have passed since the glass plant closed and the building still sits empty.
What happened to plans to re-open as some form of employment? What happened to the movie studio plans, the Wal Mart distribution centre, the RV factory, the "new" glass plant......

Politicians sitting on their butts while Vernon "enjoys" 15.4% unemployment (March 2012.) It has gone down somewhat but due to what, summer temp jobs? Pre-2008 Vernon was under the national average but now is above that.
http://www.workbc.ca/Statistics/Labour- ... arket.aspx
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Consumers Glass 4 years after closure....

Post by grammafreddy »

What do you want the politicians to do with the glass plant?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

grammafreddy wrote:What do you want the politicians to do with the glass plant?

Considering the "elected officials" promised to work very hard a few days before the last furnace was sunffed.
The government works for US. Be it policy, seeking investment, whatever. WE EMPLOY THEM.
This site has been vacant for 4 years, unemployment is out of control taxes keep going up while incomes go down adn the result is crime and poverty. Yes I think it is a government issue.

PS take the negativity and petty attempts to start a fight elsewhere or contribute.

EDIT TO ADD: The "government" (in what ever capacity) are the ones and have been the ones opening their mouths be it these pie in the sky promises etc. So yeah I expect some sort of action. After all, Gramma, as a resident of the Okanagan since the 60's as you claim, you ought to remember it was provincial intervention by the WAC Bennett government of the day (Social Credit right wing as I recall) who brought the plant to BC in the first place. So yeah I expect action. :purefury:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Who owns the property right now?

I've got a great idea.

Maybe I'll get some investors and put my plan in action!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It's not just the jobs that were lost. Immediately after the glass plant closed they stopped accepting glass in my recycling bin. Now it just goes in the garbage.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Fritzthecat wrote:
Considering the "elected officials" promised to work very hard a few days before the last furnace was sunffed.
The government works for US. Be it policy, seeking investment, whatever. WE EMPLOY THEM.
This site has been vacant for 4 years, unemployment is out of control taxes keep going up while incomes go down adn the result is crime and poverty. Yes I think it is a government issue.

PS take the negativity and petty attempts to start a fight elsewhere or contribute.

EDIT TO ADD: The "government" (in what ever capacity) are the ones and have been the ones opening their mouths be it these pie in the sky promises etc. So yeah I expect some sort of action. After all, Gramma, as a resident of the Okanagan since the 60's as you claim, you ought to remember it was provincial intervention by the WAC Bennett government of the day (Social Credit right wing as I recall) who brought the plant to BC in the first place. So yeah I expect action. :purefury:

1963 - to be exact. I was a kid so don't remember too much about what Wacky did to start that glass factory.

I wasn't being negative or trying to start a fight. It was a simple question - what do you want government to do with the glass plant? Start a taxpayer-funded business there? Reduce taxes to a corporation to help them start a business there? Give free loans to a nfp to start a charity there? Bulldoze it so transients and the homeless don't move into the building?

And yeah .. who owns the property? If it is private property, why would government do anything? Just asking, is all.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Glacier wrote:It's not just the jobs that were lost. Immediately after the glass plant closed they stopped accepting glass in my recycling bin. Now it just goes in the garbage.

Well you could always take it to the bottle depot. They won't give you $$ but they're recyle it. Lazy!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

fvkasm2x wrote:Well you could always take it to the bottle depot. They won't give you $$ but they're recyle it. Lazy!

Nope. As soon as the glass plant closed my local bottle depot stopped accepting glass containers that don't have a deposit.

ETA: I just looked up the website, and there is still a few places in the North Okanagan excepting glass. I was just told by the bottle depot that I can drop my glass off free of charge at the landfill since that is where it ends up anyway.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I guess if a person or government had an extra $10mil hanging around...

9622 Hill Drive, Lavington

Presented at $9,700,000

Highlights
Near Vernon, B.C., the former glass plant. 91.7 acres zoned light industial on three titles, subdivision potential. The building is approximately ten acres in size including all levels with ceiling heights of twenty three to twenty nine feet clear in many areas. The building is adaptable to numerous uses. The warehouse itself is 6.3 acres with six covered loading bays. There is huge power and natural gas service, a railway spur and lots of water.
Property features
Lavington Glass Plant

Site Data

Area
91.74 acres or approximately 3,993,145 square feet zoned I.2 General Industrial (zoning attached)

Frontage
Approximately 1.169 feet along Springfield Road, 1.901 feet along Park Land Road and 2,400 feet along Learmouth Road

Services
Services are as follows: Two sources of water, natural gas, and telephone. Two 25K Volt hydro services. On-site septic system. The disposal field is at the southwest corner of the property at Park Lane Road and Learmouth Road while the septic tanks are located directly south of the factory. Water is supplied to the main building from a line 10" line to Park Lane Road. Storm drainage is surface drainage and holding lagoon.

http://www.donkassa.com/listings/industrial-commercial/9622-hill-drive-lavington
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

coffeeFreak wrote:I guess if a person or government had an extra $10mil hanging around...

Is that the same glass plant or a different one? It says Lavington .. ???

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Yes, that's the same one.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

K - thanks.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Meh.

Since when do politicians do anything? Sure they can do some favorable things here and there, but nobody is going to open up a major business there just because they asked - it has to make sense before anything happens. They can lower the taxes up to some period of time, but that usually causes an uproar. Just gotta wait for a nice capitalist to come along and do something with it.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Glacier wrote:Nope. As soon as the glass plant closed my local bottle depot stopped accepting glass containers that don't have a deposit.

ETA: I just looked up the website, and there is still a few places in the North Okanagan excepting glass. I was just told by the bottle depot that I can drop my glass off free of charge at the landfill since that is where it ends up anyway.

Wow, that's kind of crazy. The Kelowna one on Kirschner has a big blue bin for glass still.

I guess you can always save up your glass and drive it there. Lazy! :dyinglaughing:

grammafreddy wrote:Is that the same glass plant or a different one? It says Lavington .. ???

Ya, same one. OI Corp (previously known as Consumers Glass) is in Lavington near the Esso. Or should I say, the property is.

$10 mill is a lot of scratch to raise. Perhaps a smart business CEO from a chain place will be interested.

A lot of big companies (Canadian Tire, Walmart, Rona, etc...) have their house brands for every chain. They're mostly crappy products, not much better than the stuff made in China and the price of them reflect that.

These products are almost exclusively made in Quebec and Ontario, then shipped all over Canada. Why not turn that place into a manufacturing plant for Western Canada? Save tons in shipping and freight costs.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Fritzthecat wrote:The government works for US. Be it policy, seeking investment, whatever. WE EMPLOY THEM.

Okay, so the government introduces a value-added taxation policy to help stimulate business investment and bring equal competition between BC businesses and those in places like Alberta, and you yell and cry and vote it out of existence. You and your union were leading the charge.

Are you sure you want other people to have jobs? Or only if your haircut doesn't cost an extra 70¢?
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.

Return to “Central Okanagan”