The mayor... a nice guy, but again, no action

Drinkmoremilk

The mayor... a nice guy, but again, no action

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

Well, I had a lot of hope for our new mayor Rob...someone intelligent, not so old...but from watching him so far I'm starting to think he's just like the others. No vision for Vernon, listens to the council way too much (and council seems to make decisions based on their own personal opinions and by the seat of their pants, afraid of change that may result in "oh my god"progress....
Isn't there someone who has a desire to make Vernon a thriving lively inviting and fun community?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Mayor...a nice guy but again, no action

Post by grammafreddy »

If you were mayor, what would you do to effect changes to get what you want?

And why don't you run for mayor or a council seat if you want change?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:Isn't there someone who has a desire to make Vernon a thriving lively inviting and fun community?

Are we talking about a mayor or some kind of magician?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Drinkmoremilk

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

I'm in no position to become a mayor of Vernon....but I expect the man that I voted for to make the changes he talked about before elections. I am very disappointed in him...
John500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by John500 »

Mayors, like CEO's, Presidents etc, supposed to show leadership. That says it all.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

grammafreddy wrote:If you were mayor, what would you do to effect changes to get what you want?

I repeat ...

grammafreddy wrote:If you were mayor, what would you do to effect changes to get what you want?

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Drinkmoremilk

Re: The mayor... a nice guy, but again, no action

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

What I would do is:
- Make this city more people friendly rather than car friendly. The town has been built way too much around cars and not at all for the people. Sidewalks end in the middle of nowhere, there are no nice places to walk along the water, sit and relax on an outdoor patio, Polson Park is scary with all the cars driving through and around the children, there are no 'people gathering' places...and basically, you just don't see people...except in cars. This makes the town feel 'dead' and definetely not vibrant.
-I’d create ‘neighbourhoods’ with each neighbourhood having a playground, a people gathering place, park and a small ‘shopping’ area within walking distance so people in the neighbourhoods would interact and walk
-I’d make developers build walking paths and a park/playground in each new development
-I’d DEFINETELY not sink $1.6 million into an already dilapidated recreation center – I’d build a new one, with all sorts of 'modern' options (like daycare while you work out)...just like the YMCA in Rutland
-I would not spend money building a running track by the college, right by the highway…people will have to drive there and who the heck is actually going to train there breathing highway air?
-I’d tear down that pathetic looking Kin Race Track that gets used once or twice a year and that’s where I’d put a new ‘recreation/sports’ area for EVERYONE TO USE ALL YEAR ROUND. It’s in the middle of town (which allows people to walk to) plus it’s badly needed along with a new gymnastics center
-I’d put in an outdoor pool (like Armstrong has just done)…they seem to have more money than Vernon
-I’d put in more ‘public skating’ time…there is hardly none
-I’d have more restaurants with outdoor seating in nice areas
-I’d a permanent ‘farmers’ market downtown and not in a parking lot
-I’d build something for these poor teens that have no place to go / and do very little with their time
-I’d build some kind of a vision for this town and pursue it. What is Vernon about? Nothing right now. Just a place to live.
-I’d build some industry so that not all young people leave. Right now, they are all leaving and old folks don’t make this town lively and vibrant. Young people do. Old people mainly stay home and watch TV. It’s the young people that make change and try to make the world a better place. I’d somehow make this town ‘attractive’ for the younger generation. Being a ‘retirement’ community is a ‘dead end’ road…
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:What I would do is:
- Make this city more people friendly rather than car friendly. The town has been built way too much around cars and not at all for the people. Sidewalks end in the middle of nowhere, there are no nice places to walk along the water, sit and relax on an outdoor patio, Polson Park is scary with all the cars driving through and around the children, there are no 'people gathering' places...and basically, you just don't see people...except in cars. This makes the town feel 'dead' and definetely not vibrant.
-I’d create ‘neighbourhoods’ with each neighbourhood having a playground, a people gathering place, park and a small ‘shopping’ area within walking distance so people in the neighbourhoods would interact and walk
-I’d make developers build walking paths and a park/playground in each new development
-I’d DEFINETELY not sink $1.6 million into an already dilapidated recreation center – I’d build a new one, with all sorts of 'modern' options (like daycare while you work out)...just like the YMCA in Rutland
-I would not spend money building a running track by the college, right by the highway…people will have to drive there and who the heck is actually going to train there breathing highway air?
-I’d tear down that pathetic looking Kin Race Track that gets used once or twice a year and that’s where I’d put a new ‘recreation/sports’ area for EVERYONE TO USE ALL YEAR ROUND. It’s in the middle of town (which allows people to walk to) plus it’s badly needed along with a new gymnastics center
-I’d put in an outdoor pool (like Armstrong has just done)…they seem to have more money than Vernon
-I’d put in more ‘public skating’ time…there is hardly none
-I’d have more restaurants with outdoor seating in nice areas
-I’d a permanent ‘farmers’ market downtown and not in a parking lot
-I’d build something for these poor teens that have no place to go / and do very little with their time
-I’d build some kind of a vision for this town and pursue it. What is Vernon about? Nothing right now. Just a place to live.
-I’d build some industry so that not all young people leave. Right now, they are all leaving and old folks don’t make this town lively and vibrant. Young people do. Old people mainly stay home and watch TV. It’s the young people that make change and try to make the world a better place. I’d somehow make this town ‘attractive’ for the younger generation. Being a ‘retirement’ community is a ‘dead end’ road…

Of course, my next question is gonna be ...

How do you plan to pay for it all? You have some pretty big ticket items on that list.

Also ... do you expect the city to actually start an industry itself? As in, own the business and run it?

image999

Post by image999 »

*off topic remark removed*/ferri
Drinkmoremilk

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

Hm, no, I have children and have lots of friends and am not lonely. My only with is that our neighbours would interact a lot more and cared about our street instead of just their front lawn. But we are in our 20's & 30's, educated and expect different things from our taxes and from our community than the our parents' generation. Our parents' generation like privacy, big houses with lots of rooms, like to keep to themselves and not interact too much with anyone unless they are their friends. Our generation wants different things and yes, being part of a community and being involved is one of them...but Vernon is not built for that...Most progressive communities in BC are heading that way...but not Vernon....so as for 'money, others seem to be able to do it, so why can't Vernon? Because our mayors / council have no guts or vision.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:Hm, no, I have children and have lots of friends and am not lonely. My only with is that our neighbours would interact a lot more and cared about our street instead of just their front lawn. But we are in our 20's & 30's, educated and expect different things from our taxes and from our community than the our parents' generation. Our parents' generation like privacy, big houses with lots of rooms, like to keep to themselves and not interact too much with anyone unless they are their friends. Our generation wants different things and yes, being part of a community and being involved is one of them...but Vernon is not built for that...Most progressive communities in BC are heading that way...but not Vernon....so as for 'money, others seem to be able to do it, so why can't Vernon? Because our mayors / council have no guts or vision.

I don't live in Vernon. Are there service clubs in Vernon? Organizations like Kinsmen, Lions, etc? They are a great way to get involved in your community and help raise funding for the things a community wants - like parks and playgrounds and swimming pools and skating rinks. As a young person, you are at a wonderful age to help make a difference.

Or do you just want to sit on yer duff and expect the city to do all the work so you can enjoy it when the taxpayers have paid for it all?

The Mission Greenway was started by the Rutland Lions Club. My dad was one of them.

The Rutland Centennial Hall was funded by Rutland residents through a not for profit society partnering with local service clubs to raise money. I was one of them.

Don't sit around whining - get busy!!!

Drinkmoremilk

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

If you don't live in Vernon, you have no idea what kind of council we are dealing with. Kelowna and Rutland are light years ahead of Vernon, in their forward thinking. And no, I can't get involved myself, I have three children under five and I barely have time to go to the bathroom...But I vote in hopes for change, but they never seem to come through in their promises and are never held responsible for the BS they feel the public before they get elected...
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:If you don't live in Vernon, you have no idea what kind of council we are dealing with. Kelowna and Rutland are light years ahead of Vernon, in their forward thinking. And no, I can't get involved myself, I have three children under five and I barely have time to go to the bathroom...But I vote in hopes for change, but they never seem to come through in their promises and are never held responsible for the BS they feel the public before they get elected...

Okay ... I see excuses - not solutions or a willingness to help change happen. You get out of something what you are willing to put into it. You reap what you sow. You sow nothing. You get nothing. Your choice.

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hey! You ARE ahead of Kelowna in one thing I know about for sure! And good on your mayor and council for it, too.

YOU are allowed backyard chickens but Kelowna and Rutland are not. That's forward thinking and progressive. Kelowna's council is stuck in snootyland - noses in the air and NIMBYness.

Return to “Central Okanagan”