The mayor... a nice guy, but again, no action

fvkasm2x
Guru

Re: The mayor... a nice guy, but again, no action

Post by fvkasm2x »

grammafreddy wrote:Of course, my next question is gonna be ...

How do you plan to pay for it all? You have some pretty big ticket items on that list.

First question I thought also when I saw "I'd build" and "I'd make" in every sentence.
Drinkmoremilk

Post by Drinkmoremilk »

OK Granmafreddy, you just go on and preach from your rocking chair...
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Vernon has always lacked vision and leadership. What else is new? Unplanned "developements" and high unemployment., it's nothing new gang.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
Luvin Da Blues

Post by Luvin Da Blues »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:If you don't live in Vernon, you have no idea what kind of council we are dealing with. Kelowna and Rutland are light years ahead of Vernon, in their forward thinking. And no, I can't get involved myself, I have three children under five and I barely have time to go to the bathroom...But I vote in hopes for change, but they never seem to come through in their promises and are never held responsible for the BS they feel the public before they get elected...

Uhmm..I think that one should actually pay taxes before they demand where the tax dollars are being spent. :dyinglaughing:
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Luvin Da Blues wrote:
Uhmm..I think that one should actually pay taxes before they demand where the tax dollars are being spent. :dyinglaughing:

Where does this person say they do not live in Vernon?
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:OK Granmafreddy, you just go on and preach from your rocking chair...

That wasn't "preaching", that was "get off yer *bleep* and do something to effect the change you want to see".

You have some very expensive items on your wish list. Do you have any concept of how much your taxes would have to increase in order for the city to provide them?

The population of the City of Vernon looks bigger than it is and the population is nowhere near enough to have the city do those projects. Spallumcheen and Coldstream as well as the closer parts of Areas B, C and D of NORD (the greater Vernon area) might provide a greater tax base upon which to find public funding especially since those areas would also benefit from the projects.

But still ... taxes would go up. Nothing is ever "free".

Edited to add:

http://www.vernon.ca/info/

Population: 35,944 (Greater Vernon: 55,418)

and

http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census0 ... O=A&LANG=E
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

It's preaching.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

bob vernon wrote:It's preaching.

Only if yer a lazy entitled SOB who can't get off their *bleep* to do anything and expects the taxpayer to provide everything on their wish list with no effort on their own part. Gimme-gimme comes to mind.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I've attached a few articles about the previous mayor as well as our current one and have also included some info to help you better understand some of the issues in Vernon. This post consists of some random info, but it seems the OP must be new to Vernon and not familiar with some of the issues she mentioned.

It is strange drinkmoremilk, your wish list does not consist of issues that can be dealt with in less than a year of office. Here are some responses to some of your items and the rest, well some have nothing to do with a Mayor's role.

- There has been an outdoor pool in Armstrong for years, so not sure what you are talking about.
- "neighbourhoods" etc:
Vernon’s Official Community Plan (OCP) is intended to define the vision of the community – how the community sees itself growing and developing in the future and ultimately what kind of place the community wants Vernon to be. Read more...http://www.vernon.ca/ocp/1.00_planning_context.pdf

- Kin Race Track issue:
RDNO and the City of Vernon, which own Kin Race Track, evicted the society Dec. 31, [url]2010.http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/1 ... obile=true[/url]

Sawatzky says his primary message during the campaign will focus on accountability.

“We propose to institute an external (financial) audit to provide factual background for future budgets. Are we providing services efficiently?” he said. This is in the works.http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/134361698.html

Sawatzky also wants to improve the relationship between Vernon and the regional district and Coldstream over water and parks and recreation. This is very evident as the "cat" fights in the media have all but ceased and actual decisions are being made.

The Mayor also turned down a pay increase of $3000...(no biggy, but nonetheless he was entitled to it).

Mayor [Lippert] draws sharp attack

By Richard Rolke - Vernon Morning Star
Published: July 29, 2011 1:00 AM

Vernon’s mayor is being accused of fuelling disputes with neighbouring jurisdictions.

Jim Garlick, Coldstream mayor, says he is increasingly frustrated with Wayne Lippert over the future of water and parks and recreation.

“The main instigator of virtually every service review or the instigator of disruption (at meetings) is Wayne Lippert,” Garlick told The Morning Star. “I don’t believe anyone can get along with Wayne Lippert. We’ve seen that with fire dispatch at the regional district.”

Garlick is particularly upset with comments Lippert made about Coldstream not supporting Vernon withdrawing from water distribution.

“It just shows they can’t hold to an agreement, so if you can’t hold to an agreement with someone, what kind of partnership can you expect to have?” Lippert told Kiss FM.

Garlick says his municipality has been consistent about keeping the water utility intact and has been part of the negotiation process.

“Wayne Lippert has a way of turning everything into a fight,” he said.

Garlick claims the ongoing disputes may be Lippert’s way of encouraging amalgamation of Greater Vernon’s jurisdictions.

“That’s his main goal. I don’t think it’s the City of Vernon, it’s Wayne Lippert. He wants to bring the Ontario amalgamation model here,” said Garlick.

Lippert denies he is forcing amalgamation.

“Amalgamation will happen eventually if it’s something citizens want,” he said.

Lippert also challenges Garlick’s comments that he is difficult to deal with at meetings.

“I’m there to look for benefits for everyone and to find solutions. I’m in politics but I hate politics,” he said.

Lippert stands by his concerns about Coldstream’s handling of the water utility.

“We all agreed to sit down with the province to work out an agreement and look at the best models. Coldstream agreed to that but never signed the agreement. They stalled it,” he said.

Garlick opposes amalgamation and says the current governance structure allows his council to address the specific interests of Coldstream and to be financially accountable.

“In the case of amalgamation, service in the area would go to the service levels and costs of the city. This would include garbage pick-up, transit and other departments that would have little if any benefits to the outside areas. There will be the need to take on the costs of roads in the electoral areas from the province with increased expectations of service by the residents for those roads,” he said.

However, Lippert says residents in all jurisdictions are considering amalgamation because of the disputes over water and parks.

“People are talking to me about it,” he said. “Areas B and C should be amalgamated with Vernon or Coldstream or incorporated as a municipality on their own. In the long run, (amalgamation for) the whole North Okanagan should be looked at.”

http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/126357863.html

BEYOND THE HEADLINES: Another fresh start
By Richard Rolke - Vernon Morning Star

Published: November 30, 2011 1:00 AM
Share this story

As novel as it sounds, Jim Garlick and Rob Sawatzky aren’t the first politicians to try and cease hostilities between Vernon and Coldstream.

Back on Nov. 22, 1999, mayors-elect Brian Postill and Sean Harvey met at the border crossing on Middleton Way, shook hands and declared a new era of co-operation between the two municipalities.

“There has been some bad blood in the past between Vernon and Coldstream and I will be the first to apologize for what has happened but it’s time to turn a new leaf,” Harvey told the media, which was tired, like most residents were, of the constant squabbling between the two outgoing mayors of the time.

Postill vowed his council was dedicated to open dialogue.

“We don’t have to have official meetings. We can just get together and express our feelings,” he said.

Flash forward 12 years and Sawatzky, Vernon’s mayor-elect, and Garlick, Coldstream’s re-elected mayor, are pursuing a similar peace deal, although behind closed doors and not through a cheesy photo-op.

“There was a general consensus to keep talking. We didn’t get into solving anything right there,” said Garlick of a recent meeting with Sawatzky.

Sawatzky is cautiously optimistic about finding common ground.

“Time will tell but I have great hope. Both sides have expressed an interest in moving forward,” he said.

There was also a sense of optimism back in 1999 and initially, a lasting peace seemed possible. An agreement was hammered out to bring all water utilities under one roof, the performing arts centre and Wesbild Centre were constructed on time and on budget and Greater Vernon gained some decision-making authority away from the Regional District of North Okanagan.

But some strong personalities began to clash, particularly because the Area B and C directors felt like they were the forgotten partners. Ultimately, there was a power struggle and RDNO went back to calling the shots over Greater Vernon.

New politicians appeared on the scene as elections came and went, but the situation only appeared to get worse.

The Aberdeen Road sports complex fiasco undermined the credibility of the Greater Vernon parks board and the then-Coldstream council, while Vernon earned the dubious distinction of a trouble-maker because it was questioning virtually every function the regional district offered.

Possible restructuring of parks and recreation helped reveal further divisions among the parties.

In recent years, relations have been strained between Garlick and Wayne Lippert, Vernon’s outgoing mayor. And it hasn’t been uncommon to see Lippert and RDNO chairperson Herman Halvorson at loggerheads during meetings.

Sawatzky and Garlick deserve credit for trying to resolve the current impasse, particularly given that Sawatzky won’t be sworn in as mayor until Monday and has no official role yet.

But for progress to occur, there must be give-and-take on all sides.

It may mean Coldstream relinquishes its demand to maintain parks on its own. Vernon may have to back off on an extra vote based on population and agree to a model where there is a so-called balance of power between all jurisdictions.

The bottom line is few in the general public care about the inner-workings of governance as long as the parks remain open and the water flows.

Time will only tell if Sawatzky and Garlick, and their RDNO counterparts, become the visionaries who finally ended the cold war, or if this period of open dialogue is simply the calm before the storm.

---Richard Rolke is the senior reporter for The Morning Star

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/134712613.html?mobile=true
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

As for gf's comments, sometimes the truth can bite. It is easy to sit at home, or in the OP's case be so consumed with young children, and complain about the new mayor, who by the way, has not even been in office for one year. We voted for a human, not some mythical being with a magic wand who can undo years of poor planning with a flick of his wrist...give the man some time.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Another thing people forget while they are slamming "the mayor" is that "the mayor" is only one voice on council and does not make decisions on his/her own. If the majority of council vote against something, it gets shot down - even if the mayor was in favour of it and promoted it in his/her election campaign.

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

grammafreddy wrote:
Only if yer a lazy entitled SOB who can't get off their *bleep* to do anything and expects the taxpayer to provide everything on their wish list with no effort on their own part. Gimme-gimme comes to mind.

You've just desscribed the wealthy crying for more tax cuts! :dyinglaughing:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
image999

Post by image999 »

VERNON AUDIT - CORE REVIEW

Does anyone know if this has happened yet ? Outgoing Mayor's team prevously voted agaist one, reasoned that there was nothing to hide & a waste of tax payers money.
http://www.vernonmorningstar.com/news/134361698.html

Oh...Did Vernon's Financial officer suddenly leave his position, a few short weeks before the new Mayor was voted into office by majority ? He reasoned that his resignation was not linked to the upcomming election.
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

Drinkmoremilk wrote:Well, I had a lot of hope for our new mayor Rob...someone intelligent, not so old...but from watching him so far I'm starting to think he's just like the others. No vision for Vernon, listens to the council way too much (and council seems to make decisions based on their own personal opinions and by the seat of their pants, afraid of change that may result in "oh my god"progress....
Isn't there someone who has a desire to make Vernon a thriving lively inviting and fun community?

I totally agree with your council and mayor comments as thats very evident by the OKLVFD debatacle however I feel Vernon truely is already a " thriving lively inviting and fun community '
ticat900
Board Meister

Post by ticat900 »

grammafreddy wrote:Hey! You ARE ahead of Kelowna in one thing I know about for sure! And good on your mayor and council for it, too.

YOU are allowed backyard chickens but Kelowna and Rutland are not. That's forward thinking and progressive. Kelowna's council is stuck in snootyland - noses in the air and NIMBYness.

yes is that a great way to advertisew Vernon.Move to Vernon as We have backyard chickens.What a disgrace that deal is

Return to “Central Okanagan”