Marina

leecarr

Marina

Post by leecarr »

Vernon is in desperate need of a Marina. :sunshine: There is no overnight parking for boats, trailers and vehicles. We put our boat in for a few days at a time, we sleep on board. We park off the grid against the hillside of Paddlewheel Park because of respect of day users. We buy 3- $5.00 per day tickets to compensate our overnight stays on the Lake. We get tickets often and pay them, asking what we can do about this, nobody knows, the City and NORD all know that they have a problem that's only getting worse. We have even been told that our truck and trailer could be towed. Ouch, this is neither friendly nor the answer. I wish Vernon wanted tourists to stay, but boaters have nothing offered here. Nothing like Kelowna, overnight parking and moorage. boardwalks, concessions, :discodance: night life a destination and a lake life offered to all, not just those that can afford to live on the lake and take valuable lakeshore from the public. The over use of the boat ramps cause alot of frustration in the line ups. Because of no moorage people have to put in and take out daily. If people could dock their boats for the duration of their holiday, the weekend or whatever, think of the difference on the road to the ramp. We need an inland Marina, taking nothing from the shoreline but offering lots to Vernon. I propose the marsh beside the Strand, the corner of Okanagan Landing Rd. and Lakeshore Dr.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Marina

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

And wherever there is a marina, it should be required that they have a dump station as well.
leecarr

Post by leecarr »

Yes of course with showers also and picnic tables. Restaurants even shops in proximity for the destination feel of it.This could be a money opportunity for Vernon, such potential is being lost to Kelowna.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

leecarr wrote:Vernon is in desperate need of a Marina. :sunshine: There is no overnight parking for boats, trailers and vehicles. We put our boat in for a few days at a time, we sleep on board. We park off the grid against the hillside of Paddlewheel Park because of respect of day users. We buy 3- $5.00 per day tickets to compensate our overnight stays on the Lake. We get tickets often and pay them, asking what we can do about this, nobody knows, the City and NORD all know that they have a problem that's only getting worse. We have even been told that our truck and trailer could be towed. Ouch, this is neither friendly nor the answer. I wish Vernon wanted tourists to stay, but boaters have nothing offered here. Nothing like Kelowna, overnight parking and moorage. boardwalks, concessions, :discodance: night life a destination and a lake life offered to all, not just those that can afford to live on the lake and take valuable lakeshore from the public. The over use of the boat ramps cause alot of frustration in the line ups. Because of no moorage people have to put in and take out daily. If people could dock their boats for the duration of their holiday, the weekend or whatever, think of the difference on the road to the ramp. We need an inland Marina, taking nothing from the shoreline but offering lots to Vernon. I propose the marsh beside the Strand, the corner of Okanagan Landing Rd. and Lakeshore Dr.

Yes that's a great idea, lets take out the remaining marsh over there, we only took 99.9% of the Marshland in that area for development, lets just take it all leave nothing.

Ripping that marsh out, and turning it to a parking lot, bad idea, might give parking to accommodate a few boaters.. I actually like the fact there are not as many power boats on the lake as Kelowna. Let's leave it that way and send the boaters to Kelowna.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

leecarr wrote: I propose the marsh beside the Strand, the corner of Okanagan Landing Rd. and Lakeshore Dr.

What do you propose to do with all the wild birds and other wildlife who depend on that marsh for food, migration, nesting, etc?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
danmartin
Board Meister

Post by danmartin »

[
Yes that's a great idea, lets take out the remaining marsh over there, we only took 99.9% of the Marshland in that area for development, lets just take it all leave nothing.

Ripping that marsh out, and turning it to a parking lot, bad idea, might give parking to accommodate a few boaters.. I actually like the fact there are not as many power boats on the lake as Kelowna. Let's leave it that way and send the boaters to Kelowna.[/quote]

I agree with the less boat idea but lets get them off the lake all together!!!!! It would be better in so many ways... less pollution to our drinking water (much of the valley uses Okanagan Lake water), less noise pollution and safer for swimmers and other water users
bob vernon
Lord of the Board

Post by bob vernon »

Most of the good land around the lakes in the Vernon area was sold to insiders decades ago. Once it fell into private hands it was cut up and sold into smaller parcels for big money. Some smaller pieces are falling back into public hands now as older houses are demolished. Maybe one of these wealthy, private owners would build one in their piece of heaven that they paid huge dollars for.... sarcasm!! A large number of them are absentee owners who are only in the Okanagan for a couple of months in the summer and then they close up their million dollar cottages for the winter. They aren't the type of people who tolerate marinas for neighbours.
leecarr

Post by leecarr »

Having a Marina doesn't necessarily mean more boats, it's more about accommodating those already here and not overcrowding the boat launches and dealing with the overnight parking problems. It wouldn't be just a few boats, it would be hundreds, it would be a clean and a gorgeous destination for much needed commerce. All moorage is private, the Yacht Club, the Outback has 2 private bays with moorage, Blue Heron and the Strand all private.
I understand what you are saying about the natural beauty and ecosystem in the marsh/swamp, but that has long gone.I've not seen the flourish of red winged black birds in years. What is there, is a potential harbouring of west nile virus which I'm more concerned about. The birds and wildlife seem to adapt in someway or another either by going to other watering holes or being hand feed to the point that dogs are hired to chase after the wildlife, how about the shaking of goose eggs. It's unnatural for ducks and geese to walk up to humans, we have done that. In the wild they fly away.
I have a sailboat, so loud, wake making boats, going to fast isn't what I'm asking for, they are there anyway. They're only a few, out of many considerate boaters enjoying their families and friends on our gorgeous lakes. A Marina would eliminate the frustration of constant trailering and ramp usage, ever watch to see the amount of boats going down OK Landing Rd. starting at 7.00 am. then the reverse in the evening?
Motoguy
Fledgling

Post by Motoguy »

Great idea!!!
Who is going to pay for it?
Taxpayers?
I dont want the city spending tax dollars, so rich guys can stay out on their boats over night.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

leecarr wrote:Having a Marina doesn't necessarily mean more boats, it's more about accommodating those already here and not overcrowding the boat launches and dealing with the overnight parking problems. It wouldn't be just a few boats, it would be hundreds, it would be a clean and a gorgeous destination for much needed commerce. All moorage is private, the Yacht Club, the Outback has 2 private bays with moorage, Blue Heron and the Strand all private.
I understand what you are saying about the natural beauty and ecosystem in the marsh/swamp, but that has long gone.I've not seen the flourish of red winged black birds in years. What is there, is a potential harbouring of west nile virus which I'm more concerned about. The birds and wildlife seem to adapt in someway or another either by going to other watering holes or being hand feed to the point that dogs are hired to chase after the wildlife, how about the shaking of goose eggs. It's unnatural for ducks and geese to walk up to humans, we have done that. In the wild they fly away.
I have a sailboat, so loud, wake making boats, going to fast isn't what I'm asking for, they are there anyway. They're only a few, out of many considerate boaters enjoying their families and friends on our gorgeous lakes. A Marina would eliminate the frustration of constant trailering and ramp usage, ever watch to see the amount of boats going down OK Landing Rd. starting at 7.00 am. then the reverse in the evening?

Why should we as taxpayers accommodate a few rich people? Take your couch change and go buy some lakefront property so you can park your fancy sailboat. You should not have a boat if you don't like the long lineups at the boat ramps. Or another idea, pay the moorage fees at the private clubs, if you have money for a sailboat, you certainly have money to pay moorage fees. Spend your money at your expense not the expense of the taxpayers.
Doug Ferguson

Post by Doug Ferguson »

leecarr wrote:Yes of course with showers also and picnic tables. Restaurants even shops in proximity for the destination feel of it.This could be a money opportunity for Vernon, such potential is being lost to Kelowna.

Have you seen the Lakefront Plan that the city did in about 2003? http://www.vernon.ca/services/pde/docum ... dopted.pdf
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Motoguy wrote:Great idea!!!
Who is going to pay for it?
Taxpayers?
I dont want the city spending tax dollars, so rich guys can stay out on their boats over night.

The price of a boat is no differant then a camper. Who pays for all the government camp grounds?? Please keep a open mind!!

The taxes on fuel also offset the costs of such sites.

Peachland is the only town on this lake that has any idea about boaters and appear to welcome us! Very sad Vernon and Kelowna should take a walk down the shores and possibly learn something. People spend money in your downtown if they can access it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Doug Ferguson wrote:Have you seen the Lakefront Plan that the city did in about 2003? http://www.vernon.ca/services/pde/docum ... dopted.pdf

That looks very cool - what stage is it at?

Love how they stress the importance of the wetlands and the building setbacks are such that shadows are not impacting them.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
gordon_as
Lord of the Board

Post by gordon_as »

Knowing how things in Vernon go , I am going out on a limb and predicting that 10 years from now , not much will have changed in that area. Lots of $$ spent on the plan , and nice artists drawings but not much else. Living in that area , I hope it is improved but I will probably be in a "care facility" before it happens.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

here we go again, the kayakers complaining.
Vernon is in desperate need of more boat launches and better ones.
tourism is a major industry here and bird watchers unfortunatly are not going to keep it afloat.
posts like "lets send the boaters to kelowna" amaze me.
these same posters would cry like heck if all the tourists bypassed vernon and went to kelowna also.
you want a peacefull kayak lake to go look at ducks and geese try all the mountain lakes.
if the noise of people enjoying water skiing bothers you there is always lawn bowling in polson park.
boaters spend alot of money in local businesses buying fuel, equipment, repairs, etc.
Vernon had enough cash for nice walking paths all over town a few enhanced boat launches is a no brainer.

Return to “Central Okanagan”