Drinking, driving, AND talking on cell

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Drinking, driving, AND talking on cell

Post by keith1612 »

Isn't it just more reasonable if they got a hands free device and used that? Ferkristsakes they are not that expensive or difficult to use. Just do it![/quote]

the hands free device makes no sense at all.
what is the distraction? talking on the phone or holding a item?
i think talking to someone is where the true distraction lies not holding a item.
if you can drive holding a cup of coffee then you can drive holding a phone can you not?
i was charged for holding a electronic device (a portable vhf radio) and in court the judge convicted me but dropped all fines.
his reasoning was holding a mounted vhf radio microphone is ok but not a portable as its not attached to something via a cable.
so again the law seems more geared at actually holding a unattached item.
personally i think its just a cash grab the way its designed.
all distractions should be banned and if i cant hold a item then coffee should be banned also.
tim hortons would fight that law now wouldnt they.
as vernongeek brought up the RCMP can talk and drive so that deems it as to be safe for some drivers.
so dont penalize all drivers just the bad ones.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

keith1612 wrote:the hands free device makes no sense at all.
i think talking to someone is where the true distraction lies not holding a item.
if you can drive holding a cup of coffee then you can drive holding a phone can you not?
i was charged for holding a electronic device (a portable vhf radio) and in court the judge convicted me but dropped all fines.
his reasoning was holding a mounted vhf radio microphone is ok but not a portable as its not attached to something via a cable.
all distractions should be banned and if i cant hold a item then coffee should be banned also.
as vernongeek brought up the RCMP can talk and drive so that deems it as to be safe for some drivers.

We do agree on some things. And I think there should be some exceptions to the law. There are professional drivers that all they do is live in their trucks. Its like telling someone they cant talk on the phone in their apartment, or while they are at work. Again the way around the exception is to add some sort of ICBC license to talk on the phone.

As for holding other items, I also agree. The law should not be geared just to cell phones. It should be directed at all things that are distractions. Coffee, reading, make-up, food, Dogs in your lap, whatever else people do while driving.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

yes as a commercial driver i cant always pull over to use the phone and those bluetooth devices to me are more dangerous.
im always fiddling with the stupid thing in my ear.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

keith1612 wrote:Isn't it just more reasonable if they got a hands free device and used that? Ferkristsakes they are not that expensive or difficult to use. Just do it!

the hands free device makes no sense at all.
[/quote]

The distraction is temporarily removing your focus from the road and the vehicle and doing something else for a split second.
Anyone who drives distracted are the bad ones who need penalization from an outside source.
vernongeek

Post by vernongeek »

OnTheRoadAgain wrote:Anyone who drives distracted are the bad ones who need penalization from an outside source.

If your statement were true, then all police officers are bad drivers and need penalized. I do agree that a good majority of people cannot drive and talk on their cell phones, there should be some minor exceptions added to this law, if you can prove yourself to be a professional driver then you should be allowed to talk on your cell phone. The L and N rule of not even allowing young driver to use bluetooth is definately agreeable in my books as young people tend to text and drive which is even crazier.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

The distraction is temporarily removing your focus from the road and the vehicle and doing something else for a split second.
Anyone who drives distracted are the bad ones who need penalization from an outside source.[/quote]

so what makes playing with your car sterio safe then?
how about the old ladies driving down the road with those little rat like dogs on the dash?
thats my issue with this new law is it makes no sense.
why is one distraction allowed and others not?
i can legally use my VHF radio in my truck but it has to be tethered to something.
so how does making a piece of rope or wire make it legal?
on those grounds if i make a cable attaching my cell phone to myself or the car i can legally use it safely?
i fully agree with the drinking laws as they used to be .08
all these new laws seem to me to be pointed more towards fine collection to pay Christy Clarks cell phone bills that true public safety.
if the law is .08 for being impaired driving why the .05 garbage?
its a liberal cash grab plain and simple.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

keith1612 wrote:
so what makes playing with your car sterio safe then? Nothing.
how about the old ladies driving down the road with those little rat like dogs on the dash? Distracting.
thats my issue with this new law is it makes no sense. It makes sense for those who have no good sense.
why is one distraction allowed and others not? They are not allowed if they are distractions.
i can legally use my VHF radio in my truck but it has to be tethered to something.
so how does making a piece of rope or wire make it legal?
on those grounds if i make a cable attaching my cell phone to myself or the car i can legally use it safely? No hand held devices.
i fully agree with the drinking laws as they used to be .08
all these new laws seem to me to be pointed more towards fine collection to pay Christy Clarks cell phone bills that true public safety.
if the law is .08 for being impaired driving why the .05 garbage?
its a liberal cash grab plain and simple.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

on those grounds if i make a cable attaching my cell phone to myself or the car i can legally use it safely? No hand held devices.

sorry but BC law says i can use a handheld VHF radio if its tethered/attached to anything.
why one is ok and not the other should make no sense but it does if one looks back.
the government at the last minute changed the law to allow drivers vhf radios to stop the problems that would arise from it.
all truckers and dumptrucks etc having no legal way to contact other trucks without pulling over
it would create a mess on the streets, so they allowed safety there to be bypassed,
they also know to ban food in cars (as they 100% should) would create lawsuits from mcdonalds and tim hortons etc.
all cell providers should have been forced in BC to cancel contracts on demand as i as a driver only purchased to use on the road.
the BC liberals should pay my contract out.
in the least they should provide every cell owner with a bluetooth.
we had legal binding contracts and they changed the rules with no solid grounds to do so.
i would and will agree today to have rogers remove all possible ways of texting, thats the real death cause on the roads.
the liberal government has to pay for they huge pensions one way or another, this appears to be the way.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Ya think portable breathalyzer's have made thier job a bit easier? This guy almost passed the test.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

yes and here is a interesting story that goes to show how far you can trust the RCMP with these new DUI laws.
http://news.sympatico.ctvnews.ca/local/ ... d/4b83a3d8

the BC liberal government created new laws based on generating high revenue and lets the police run the entire system with little to no watchdog to stop corrupt or bad charges.

yes taking drunks off the road is needed but it has to be done without tramping all over civil rights,every person in Canada should have the right to challenge his accuser in a timely manor.

Any form of instant on the spot penalties should be removed as you have no real legal form of dispute.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

no i suppose you are right, lets skip the proven highest causes for accidents and go after guys that need to make a phone call.

Are you dense? Cuz I'm pretty sure you're not that important that you "need" to make a phone call while you're driving.

You are the problem.

Meant to attribute that to Keith1612.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

I would be curious to know how many speeders were talking on their cell phone? I personally think having the cell phone law is a great idea and not silly. However on the contrary, they should allow exceptions to the law. In my view the police are allowed to talk and drive on the cell phone, so it shows there is enough competence to drive and talk on a cell phone. So perhaps there is a cell phone license people can obtain and the license they could stick on the drivers windows or something and they pay an extra premium on their insurance to cover accident costs? Just a wild thought. Anyone else ever think of this?

OMG.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Are you dense? Cuz I'm pretty sure you're not that important that you "need" to make a phone call while you're driving.

You are the problem.

Meant to attribute that to Keith1612.[/quote]

no im not dense sorry, i just have the simple ability to pay attention to more than 1 thing at a time.
maybe they should make the drivers tests a bit more difficult to weed out the idiots that cant think and drive yet fill their cars with kids,pets and food and head out on the highway.
we all see accidents regularly in towns and they are very seldom from drinking or phones they are from plain non attention to the road.
yes as a commercial driver its sometimes very important to have phone ability and you would be amazed how fast the morons in towns call the RCMP the minute a big truck stops and blocks 1 lane for 30 seconds.
city drivers would cry like hell if semi's stopped to recieve a phone call.
and before you come up with the brilliant idea of just pull over i have tried with a b train to stop in kelowna or vernon to use a bathroom or buy lunch and guess what, there is no easy places.
perhaps the great city planners should have considered options.
drive around in your mazda pickup and run to superstore all you want, there are others out there that do have reasons for what they do.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

keith1612 wrote:yes as a commercial driver its sometimes very important to have phone ability .

They can afford an expensive truck but won't spend $50 on a bluetooth device to be compliant with the law.

Some of these drivers can't walk and chew gum but you want to let them text or talk while driving!

I am sick and tired of those types out there making it so dangerous on the roads for everyone else! :nutzoid:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

They can afford an expensive truck but won't spend $50 on a bluetooth device to be compliant with the law.

Some of these drivers can't walk and chew gum but you want to let them text or talk while driving!

I am sick and tired of those types out there making it so dangerous on the roads for everyone else! :nutzoid:[/quote]

do some research, almost all experts say its not holding the phone that distracts you (texting excluded).
how the hell is a cop or ambulance driver any safer using the phone? the special on phone driving training?
this is a cash grab.
all phone use bluetooth included is as distracting as is all fast food and kids and pets.
lets fix all the problems not just leach and make money off the easy one,
im much more scared of the drivers that park their cars first snowfall and pull out in the spring and are as insecure as hell.
if you want to be a compliant sheep and believe everything Christy Clark and the RCMP tell you good for you.
my bet is you are one of them old guys that cause more grief than good worrying and scared

Return to “Central Okanagan”