Animal rescue

keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Animal rescue

Post by keith1612 »

its nice to see a story with a caring good ending.
http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/80 ... ect-rescue

here in spallumcheen i found a 7 week old kitten and called animal control at the regional office and was told just toss outside.
They were kind enough to say let nature and the coyotes do the job we dont want to,
Thankfully the Vernon animal care society came and picked it up.
as i have 2 dogs and 3 cats i wasnt taking in another.
its a shame when people are paid by taxpayers to do animal control and then say feed strays to the wildlife.
superbee
Fledgling

Re: animal rescue

Post by superbee »

This story should be on the front page of the Vernon paper so that scum is outed. Totally disgusting. And to think hard-earned tax dollars are paying the wages of that loser. The zero who answered the phone and gave that reply should have been fired on the spot.

And tossed outside for the coyotes to have a snack, seeing they think it is the thing to do....
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

yes animal control asked me to put something in the paper when i told them, this should raise awareness on here as well.

sorry i ment to say animal care society asked me to put in the paper, not animal control.
Last edited by keith1612 on Sep 16th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Thank you for helping this poor kitten. And for contacting the Animal Care Society. I know all their members, and another Vernon person, Hazel T, work tirelessly, and at big cost, to help the cats and kittens of Vernon and area. A big thank you, Keith, and to all the kind hearts who help cats and kittens!! And all animals!
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

keith1612, I'd like to know exactly who you called, and how they answered the phone.

There is no such thing as Animal Control in the North Okanagan. There is only Dog Control.

You can download Spallumcheen's Dog Control bylaw from the Township's website via this link:
https://spallumcheen.civicweb.net/Docum ... px?ID=1427

This bylaw gives Spallumcheen the authority to control and license dogs (i.e. canines) with your hard-earned tax dollars. This bylaw does NOT give Spall the authority (nor your tax dollars) to deal with kittens, cats or other animals.

Superbee, we should be directing our anger to the person who abandoned the 7-month old kitten in the first place!

In addition, we should be all asking ourselves why is there is such a need for an Animal Care Society (bless bless bless you for all the work you do!) when there is an SPCA in town.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Ingevan22 wrote:keith1612, I'd like to know exactly who you called, and how they answered the phone.

There is no such thing as Animal Control in the North Okanagan. There is only Dog Control.

You can download Spallumcheen's Dog Control bylaw from the Township's website via this link:
https://spallumcheen.civicweb.net/Docum ... px?ID=1427

This bylaw gives Spallumcheen the authority to control and license dogs (i.e. canines) with your hard-earned tax dollars. This bylaw does NOT give Spall the authority (nor your tax dollars) to deal with kittens, cats or other animals.

Superbee, we should be directing our anger to the person who abandoned the 7-month old kitten in the first place!

In addition, we should be all asking ourselves why is there is such a need for an Animal Care Society (bless bless bless you for all the work you do!) when there is an SPCA in town.

i called the spallumcheen regional office on pleasant valley road and asked how to contact dog control.
they said he is here at this time and put him on.
he then said "toss the kitten outside and let nature take its course"
i then called the animal care society in vernon and they came and picked up.
i didnt know whos responsability it was to deal with lost or abandoned strays but im just saying its pretty lame to say let the wildlife have it.
as a bylaw/animal control/dog control officer whatever perhaps he should have given me a couple of places to talk to for a safe option.
i would say as no dog licenses are required in spallumcheen why waste our money on a dog control officer, this is farm area and we should have a officer trained in all animals.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Animal rescue

Post by Silverstarqueen »

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

Keith is correct that dog licensing is "voluntary" in Spallumcheen. Spall also has a Large Animal Pound (i.e. for farm animals) but no funding to deal with cat-related issues.

I agree that it is insensitive/lame for anyone at a local government office to suggest that wildlife should deal with stray cats, especially when other viable options are only a phone call away. Thanks Keith for making that call!

The ringworm infection at the Vernon SPCA was a recent occurrence. A number of non-SPCA cat rescue societies have been operating for several years, which still begs my original question of why there is such a need when there is an SPCA here.

If we're willing to fund animal rescue, which I certainly am, I would prefer to see collaboration instead of multiple agencies/societies competing for our donations, volunteer time, and potentially, our tax dollars. Not sure who owns the SPCA building here in Vernon and how it is all funded, but I'm confident that the cat rescuers who are currently operating out of their own homes, vet clinics, etc would also love to have a dedicated facility (and some funding!) to help take care of strays, etc.
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

yyy
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Feb 22nd, 2013, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Yes, when they suggest to just throw a kitten out a window to let predators 'take care of it', I also think there is a problem.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped Up

Either something happened to Mother cougar or this little one wondered off which wouldn’t be logical.
Hopefully Conservation service takes the little one to some place that can help.

Cute unfortunately that cute grows rather large and unpredictable.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... er-Mission
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

GordonH wrote: Jan 17th, 2022, 11:48 am Bumped Up

Either something happened to Mother cougar or this little one wondered off which wouldn’t be logical.
Hopefully Conservation service takes the little one to some place that can help.

There aren't too many options.
1. Euthanize it.
2. Place it in a permanent new home, such as a zoo or wildlife park where it can live out its life.

This little guy can't survive on its own, nor can it be taught to hunt by humans in the hopes of releasing it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote: Jan 17th, 2022, 3:26 pm
GordonH wrote: Jan 17th, 2022, 11:48 am Bumped Up

There aren't too many options.
1. Euthanize it.
2. Place it in a permanent new home, such as a zoo or wildlife park where it can live out its life.

This little guy can't survive on its own, nor can it be taught to hunt by humans in the hopes of releasing it.
Hopefully the Conservation service doesn’t mention doing #1.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
DarbyD
Übergod

Post by DarbyD »

Sorry to say this poor cub was probably hit by a vehicle and badly injured before it ended up on this deck. Ethanization in this case was the most humane thing to do.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... euthanized
I'm not your enemy. We have a difference of opinion, and I can live with that. Can you?

Return to “North Okanagan”