Drinking, driving, AND talking on cell

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Drinking, driving, AND talking on cell

Post by Bsuds »

I don't need to be told how dangerous it is as I have seen it first hand. Yes all distractions should be banned but that is no excuse for using a phone while driving.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Bsuds wrote:I don't need to be told how dangerous it is as I have seen it first hand. Yes all distractions should be banned but that is no excuse for using a phone while driving.

true enough.
i just wonder why they went half assed, i suppose tim hortons and mcdonalds has deep pockets.
one day they will probably get it all hopefully, a car is not a travelling dinner table.
pull over and feed your self and your kids etc.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I read an article that says cars will be self driven by 2025. I think the sooner the better.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Bsuds wrote:I read an article that says cars will be self driven by 2025. I think the sooner the better.

lol that would be nice.
the way vernon is going there just will be potholes and construction and wide sidewalks.
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

Bsuds wrote:I read an article that says cars will be self driven by 2025. I think the sooner the better.

I read that in an 8th grade English study, that by the mid 1970s cars would be self driven.....
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

the real simple answer is dont penalize drivers for a possible crime, penalize the ones that commit them.
when someone runs a stop sign regardless of beer or no beer take his license for 2 years.
when you hit another car drunk or sober or on the phone another year.
BC has become a province to pre criminalize you, the pay at the pump, the .05, etc.
stop bothering the drivers to collect cash grabs remove the poor drivers off the streets.
look at the tow truck driver in vancouver, he had a string of prior tickets and ran over a mother and baby in a cross walk and killed the baby and got a fine.
its really a shame the RCMP and the BC government prefers to go after easy quick fines than remove the killers.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

keith1612 wrote:
do some research, almost all experts say its not holding the phone that distracts you (texting excluded).

I can only speak for myself...

But I am not distracted by a phone conversation. I am however, VERY distracted when I take my eyes off the road to dial a number.

Answering calls and talking on the phone isn't a problem for me. Texting or making a call is a big one. But since you can't make one thing illegal, you gotta make it all illegal.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

fvkasm2x wrote:
keith1612 wrote:
do some research, almost all experts say its not holding the phone that distracts you (texting excluded).

I can only speak for myself...

But I am not distracted by a phone conversation. I am however, VERY distracted when I take my eyes off the road to dial a number.

Answering calls and talking on the phone isn't a problem for me. Texting or making a call is a big one. But since you can't make one thing illegal, you gotta make it all illegal.

yes i fully agree, i have voice dialing on my phone so it should be ok.
the problem is the law was not thought out or considered.
you are not supposed to touch your external sat radio because its unsafe but you can play all you want with the dash mount.
you can use a vhf radio if its attached to anything in the vehicle but not if its free held.
and you can drive down the road with a coffee between your legs and a big mac in one hand and fries in the other reading a map.
hey dont forget the dog begging for the fries.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

keith1612 wrote:and you can drive down the road with a coffee between your legs and a big mac in one hand and fries in the other reading a map.

I don't know why people keep saying this. You can still get a ticket for this if the officer sees you and thinks you are distracted (sees you drifting into other lanes, etc...)
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

fvkasm2x wrote:
keith1612 wrote:and you can drive down the road with a coffee between your legs and a big mac in one hand and fries in the other reading a map.

I don't know why people keep saying this. You can still get a ticket for this if the officer sees you and thinks you are distracted (sees you drifting into other lanes, etc...)

yes you can get a ticket but its open for officer choice.
why didnt they leave cells that way also then?
if there was a distraction law then why make new ones?
for one reason a cash grab.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Because it's been proven that cell phone use caused an increase in accidents.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

Fancy wrote:Because it's been proven that cell phone use caused an increase in accidents.

yes cell phone use with or without a bluetooth.
there is no safe way to phone and drive.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

keith1612 wrote:
yes you can get a ticket but its open for officer choice.
why didnt they leave cells that way also then?
if there was a distraction law then why make new ones?
for one reason a cash grab.

I've seen people drive right past an Officer while they were on their phones and not get pulled over so apparently they don't have to stop you for that either!
juz516
Board Meister

Post by juz516 »

We followed a girl today from the turnoff to Salmon Arm North of Enderby, through Enderby and to the other side.....brushing her hair and putting on makeup all the way.....swerving right into the other lane and back several times and obviously completely unaware....unbelievable.
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

juz516 wrote:We followed a girl today from the turnoff to Salmon Arm North of Enderby, through Enderby and to the other side.....brushing her hair and putting on makeup all the way.....swerving right into the other lane and back several times and obviously completely unaware....unbelievable.

whats amazing is you can be elderly and drive over a kid in a cross walk and kill them and get nothing or maybe a small fine.
do it with 1 beer or a cell phone and go to prison.
i find that stupid.
you kill someone walk for life at the minimum.

Return to “Central Okanagan”