Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

save lakeshore drive

Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
underscore
Übergod

Re: Save Penticton Lakeshore Drive and beach

Post by underscore »

How about upgrade that worn old pathway into something a bit more modern and user-friendly?
cliffy1 wrote:Welcome to the asylum.
save lakeshore drive

Post by save lakeshore drive »

delete
Last edited by save lakeshore drive on Nov 9th, 2012, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

save lakeshore drive wrote:now the Penticton townhall vote on the new options has been postponed for an additional ????? stall for more snowbirds to go south ??? stall for people to lose interest????...hmmm ...Well wont let that happen.
Why is the city in such a hurry to blow millions and millions when they have not even paid the contractors from the hockey dorm disaster???paid off the events centre??? balanced books??? is this pizzaz all for a few politicians legacy ??? Too bad is was not an election year...there would be alot of new faces at city hall . will advise as soon as the city announces the vote date at the events centre,thanks
:skyisfalling:

Since you have identified yourself, I have some advice for you. Strangly, I find myself somewhat aligned with you in that I oppose the first options presented. I am not however in the just laeave it alone camp. I think that there are a few good ideas in those plans that could be done. IMO, Okanagan Beach (the sand) is huge and essentially underused. In my four decades here I have yet to see a day when anyone cannot find the space to put down a blanket. I wouldn't mind sacrificing a few feet of beach for a really nice promenade walkway or a few beach shade/picnic structures.......within reason. I also happen to like the day marina idea too both as a convienience to tourists and a revenue generator for the Sicamous. What I vehemently oppose is changing the traffic flow, roundabouts, parking or silly real estate gobbling pavillions.
So my advice to you.......can the rhetoric as displayed in your above post. Paying hockey dorm contractors that the city didn't hire? Paying off the events centre? The debt is fully serviced and what in lords name does it have to do with this discussion. Your numerous rants in the local paper on various issues, rife with silly rhetoric, has turned off many in the community to the point you are viewed as a crankpot without much credibility. So please, on this issue to which I essentially agree with you, tone it down and keep it real lest we lose support because people tune out rhetoric and begin to question their alignment with crankpots.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

Well "Savethelakeshore" ... looks like God has spoken once again. Twobits is the king of Castanet. Once again here he is telling a poster what a to do and not do. Talk about arrogance.

twobits wrote:Your numerous rants in the local paper on various issues, rife with silly rhetoric, has turned off many in the community to the point you are viewed as a crankpot without much credibility. So please, on this issue to which I essentially agree with you, tone it down and keep it real lest we lose support because people tune out rhetoric and begin to question their alignment with crankpots.

Twobits I'd really like to know who appointed you king of everything????? Please ... let people be! Allow people their own opinion without jumping all over them!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Well he does have some relevant points. I'm like anybody else, I have good days and bad days and on a bad day I'm less tolerant of those who can't express a point objectively and courteously. For the most part though I find that just about everybody has something to offer and it's up to me to sift through the "empty calories" of a post to find the relevant stuff. For those special cases who can talk forever without saying anything relevant at all, well there's a handy little ignore function on the user control panel (see "foe list") that lets me choose who I associate with here just like the real world.

Back to the topic, I'm looking forward to the public meeting that the OP mentioned as I admit I have a lot of gaps in my knowledge of these proposals. One theme that keeps popping up is doing away with the angle parking. It seems to me that any other options would reduce parking density at the beach and necessitate alternate parking sites. Where do they plan to put these?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Twobits comments to the 'Save Lakeshore Drive' poster were not out of line. I didn't care for 'Option 1' of the Lakeshore proposal either ... but I also don't think that the area is maximizing its potential. An improved/widened walkway would be a nice enhacement. To say 'leave things just as they have been for the last 40 years' ... just sounds like a non-solution. Twobits agreed with some of the points from the 'Save Lakeshore Drive' side ... but suggested less rhetoric to better get the points across. Personally, I look forward to hearing more detail on the change options before forming an opinion on which one ( or maybe a combination) will get my support. So far, I am with others that don't want to see a change in the traffic flow or the parking along Lakeshore ... but time and information will help clarify.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

southy wrote:
Twobits I'd really like to know who appointed you king of everything????? Please ... let people be! Allow people their own opinion without jumping all over them!

Southy. I said I had some advice for him. In my understanding of the english language, advice is something offered but that does not have to be taken. That is his perogative, not yours. And while you continually annoint me king, perhaps you should look in the mirror because I do not recall you being appointed "forum cop" on posting styles. Last I heard that remains in the realm of Jo and the mods. Oh, and read the last line of your post and realize what a hypocrit you are.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

They should bulldoze lakeshore, repave it and put up a few McDonalds, Starbucks and Carl Jr's along the way along with 25 storey luxury condos so everybody can finally enjoy that treed, dark, over grown wasteland. ALso, get rid of that stupid old Peach concession stand. I think we've looked at it long enough! Same too with that broken down old tug boat and sternwheeler. If they ain't plying the waters and earning a buck, to the scrap heap they go!
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
CTF
Fledgling

Post by CTF »

I wanted to sign up on here to voice my support for option 3
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

They should bulldoze lakeshore, repave it and put up a few McDonalds, Starbucks and Carl Jr's along the way along with 25 storey luxury condos so everybody can finally enjoy that treed, dark, over grown wasteland. ALso, get rid of that stupid old Peach concession stand. I think we've looked at it long enough

blah blah blah

What a pathetic attempt at trolling. You're out of your league here pal.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

hoot wrote:
What a pathetic attempt at trolling. You're out of your league here pal.

It's called satire. :127:
Sorry your meth addled brain missed it.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
sale4u
Fledgling

Post by sale4u »

I agree with Grand Poo Bah! Good points and good solutions. A one minded "don't change anything" attitude does nothing. (pun intended). The beach should be much nicer and usable for all. Where was everybody that is whining now when all the consultations were being done? I have no sympathy for lazy antique collectors that can't leave their garage long enough to care about the world around them. Just say'in!
hoot
Fledgling

Post by hoot »

It's called satire.
Sorry your meth addled brain missed it.

And my post was pure sarcasm...guess I hit a nerve.

In the words of Abe Lincoln.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and ... well you get the idea.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

hoot wrote:
And my post was pure sarcasm...guess I hit a nerve.

In the words of Abe Lincoln.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and ... well you get the idea.

Blah blah blah IS satire? I guess you need to follow your own advice and shut up.

Return to “Central Okanagan”