Do the majority of Vernon residents really want Ironman?

southy
Lord of the Board

Do the majority of Vernon residents really want Ironman?

Post by southy »

Living down south here in Penticton I'm really curious to find out how Vernon residents really feel about your city council bidding on Ironman. Do most you talk to want it?
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Do the majority of Vernon residents really want Ironman?

Post by keith1612 »

what was the real reason you guys dumped it?
i think Vernon should refuse the 75k fee.
taxpayers should not be on the hook for that when it will only support some businesses.
let the hotels etc that will gain pay the fee.
if mcdonalds and other resturants want to pitch in fair enough.
how many in the city will really gain from this event?
the ironman company makes big profit we should actually get paid from them to hold a event here.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

keith1612 wrote:what was the real reason you guys dumped it?...the ironman company makes big profit we should actually get paid from them to hold a event here.

This article may answer your questions:

http://www.pentictonwesternnews.com/news/167195975.html
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

So much for local government not being allowed to assist business ("it's illegal" according to yesterday's MorningStar), as pointed out some businesses may benefit for a short period of time but most won't. And the one that will benefit most is undoubtedly the World Triathlon Corporation.

What the Ironman-Vernon supporters want you to believe:
"...our business community will see between $10 and $15 million annually generated for their businesses and our local economy. It will allow businesses to hire more staff, create larger markets and in turn, build their businesses."

What I refuse to believe:
That local businesses are going to hire more staff year-round because of Ironman.

Anyone else drinking the Ironman-ade?

I would much prefer to see our City build capacity to host a variety of sports tournaments/events throughout the year, not dedicate this much funding/resources to a single event. But whatevah, I was only one of 44 expressing concerns, while 700+ are happy to support. Good luck with your bid, Vernon!
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Kelowna makes Ironman shortlist, Vernon doesn't
C__C News : Friday, September 28, 2012 8:19 PM EST
The Ironman could be heading for the Central Okanagan. Kelowna is on the shortlist of possible Ironman cities. The City of Vernon, which also submitted a bid, is not. Kelowna is now going head-to-head with Whistler and Huntsville, Ontario to host the 2013 triathlon. The Ironman is looking for a new home after Penticton decided to have another company run its triathlon next year. Kelowna Mayor Walter Gray and some high-level city staff were in Florida this week presenting the city's bid to Ironman organizers. “I am disappointed that we are out of the running to host Ironman, but I’m proud of how well our Staff, Council and Community pulled together and showcased our community at its best. I thank our whole community for that,” said acting City of Vernon mayor Mary-Jo O’Keefe in a statement. The World Triathlon Corporation will announce the new host city for the Ironman on October 10.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I think in the long run, Vernon will be very happy that their bid didn't win. Being from Penticton I understand the problems Ironman brought this city.
Ingevan22
Fledgling

Post by Ingevan22 »

And if Kelowna's bid is successful, Vernon may still benefit from the spinoffs...
(._.) ( |:) (.-.) (:| ) (._.)

Putt's Law: "Technology is dominated by two types of people, those who understand what they do not manage and those who manage what they do not understand."
Verminator
Board Meister

Post by Verminator »

Whistler will win...
I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death.
George Carlin
keith1612
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by keith1612 »

removed off topic - Jennylives

Return to “Central Okanagan”