Good deed for the day!

April lady

Good deed for the day!

Post by April lady »

I did a good deed today but I have mixed feelings!
I found 3 boys this morning ages 14,14, and 18 that had been sleeping on our step landing at work They had slept there the night, they had alot of blankets so I don't think they were too cold. I took them a muffin and coffee with hot chocolate in it, they were extremely polite and appreciated the gesture. I asked one of the 14 years why he wasn't at home, he said he had a fight with his mom and she kicked him out. At fourteen I remember giving my mother alot of grief, alot but she never threw me away! I don't know anything about these boys but I could not let them stay out another night, there are some bad dudes around, and I am a mom. I called the police, I said they were really polite young men but that I could not just let this go they need to be looked after.
I had a message from the police, that they had found them and thanked me for my call. One boy had been reported missing, one had an outstanding warrant, and the other just needed a place to stay. The police said that they have taken care of all them! To the boys, I am sorry for any problems that arise from my call, but I am not sorry for calling...you are only 14, life gets better, it really does! Be safe boys!
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good deed for the day!

Post by gardengirl »

Good for you. Sometimes doing the right thing is not doing the easy thing.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Mama
Lord of the Board

Post by Mama »

gardengirl wrote:Good for you. Sometimes doing the right thing is not doing the easy thing.

I agree. It takes a village. :hailjo:
MY GREATEST FEAR IS, THERE IS NO PMS, AND THIS IS MY REAL PERSONALITY.
BCGrrrrl

Post by BCGrrrrl »

Well done,,, you showed compassion and good judgement in your interactions with those young men. Two behaviors they will remember and perhaps emulate later in their lives. Your kindness won't soon be forgotten, I'm sure. :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

To be honest...it would depend on what the kid did to get kicked out.
I have seen and heard so many things in the last few weeks...
if you disrupt the other people in the house, cheat, steal lie, drugs, no respect...etc...sometimes a parent has to say enough is enough. You do not like the rules...then leave...tough love.
I have a big heart, but...you might not know the whole storey.
Just saying...
April lady

Post by April lady »

Catz wrote:To be honest...it would depend on what the kid did to get kicked out.
I have seen and heard so many things in the last few weeks...
if you disrupt the other people in the house, cheat, steal lie, drugs, no respect...etc...sometimes a parent has to say enough is enough. You do not like the rules...then leave...tough love.
I have a big heart, but...you might not know the whole storey.
Just saying...

I know and I agree but I also don't know what kind of parents that I am sending him home to either! All I know is sometimes you can't walk away..I hope they can all turn their lives around and feel the love and joy that every child deserves!
V-Rated
Guru

Post by V-Rated »

I think you did the right thing, 14 was brutal when I raised one of my boys. A couple of not so easy years later, I told my boy if you have it better somewhere else then go! He did move out and told everyone I kicked him out. I explained to them we need to be clear that he was welcomed home anytime, in fact he still had a key... But he had to abide by the rules. If keeping your room clean and picking up after yourself was child abuse, then I was guilty. Point is: there are always two sides to a story.
Feel good about it because you would be worrying about them tonight. At least they are warm.
Good on you!
V!
~Each morning I wake, my feet touch the floor, Satan shudders and says, *bleep*! She's awake!~
OnTheRoadAgain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by OnTheRoadAgain »

true good deeds do not depend on the history of those receiving them.

good example here of the golden rule.

Return to “Central Okanagan”