"Old Growth on the chopping block"

Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

"Old Growth on the chopping block"

Post by Graphite »

Whoa. Now this is something to make a petition over.

http://www.castanet.net/news/BC/81624/O ... ping-block
theyeti
Übergod

Re: "Old Growth on the chopping block"

Post by theyeti »

yep pretty short sighted i agree
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

the government needs to do something for these communities hit hard by the pine beetle. sounds to me the government is opening pandoras box out of necessity and not for any other reason. so whats the problem?
Indica

Post by Indica »

Not cool government. Not cool at all......
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Old growth in the dry interior is not a healthy forest. I'd rather see them chop down an old-growth forest over a new-growth forest.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Glacier wrote:Old growth in the dry interior is not a healthy forest. I'd rather see them chop down an old-growth forest over a new-growth forest.

:rate10:

Nice when science-based decisions are made instead of emotion-based decisions.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

it is very true. the potential for losing out on that resource to pine beetle or forest fires isnt wise. if we were to utilize this resource and replenish it responsibly and exponentially then that is the best thing for our future. we have lost out on an abundance of resource because we had too much red tape and people that just wanted trees to sit and rot and die or burn. not to mention the fact that people in the central interior desperately need this industry for their living. in the end if the government decides to do this it is for the best. but we need to make sure that we plant more trees to offset what we took out.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I am feeling very torn about that Have been on Vancouver in the Old Growth forest going to Port Alberni. But live in the BC interior. WHere do you draw the line?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

why is there a line in the first place? you can plant at least 3 trees for every one cut down. it is better in the long run.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

motorhomebabe wrote:WHere do you draw the line?

Healthy trees in a healthy forest?

Not all "old growth" is healthy - some of it is just plain old "old" and is much more susceptible to disease and infestation. If the interior old growth is at risk of being decimated by the MPB (which it is), then it would make sense to selectively log it now rather than just let it die eventually and have it be worthless. Those towns need the industry and they may as well log rather than both the trees and the towns die.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

"Old growth" lodgepole pine is about 120 years old max. I think the term "old growth" on a species that naturally matures, dies and burns within 80 - 120 years is a bit of a misnomer, and used by preservationists to strike alarm in the hearts of the misinformed. Hell, GF is older than most of those trees! :127:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

In fact most of these OGMAs, Old Growth Management Areas, are along
vital creeks, streams and rivers. Forest companies let these go so they
could easily and quickly get at clearcut logging in other areas.

The problem has been, and still is, cutbacks in new plantings and mostly,
single species planting-pine, pine, or pine. The forest have been treated
like a 'peaches and cream' corn patch. The pine beetle has dominated and now
we 'pay the piper.! SAD.

And what about the waterways, fish, and water quality when these creekbanks, streambanks, and riverbanks are torn part?
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

If its not so great then why is is protected?
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

because of special interests that created a hysteria and plastered the media and politicians with emotion and misinformation. and when you do that politicians cave and give you what you want. its kinda like sex....it sells.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Rwede wrote:"Old growth" lodgepole pine is about 120 years old max. I think the term "old growth" on a species that naturally matures, dies and burns within 80 - 120 years is a bit of a misnomer, and used by preservationists to strike alarm in the hearts of the misinformed. Hell, GF is older than most of those trees! :127:

That's true - I am.

Left to do what they do naturally, forests replenish themselves quite nicely. Natural regen where I used to live in the bush was far superior to the pine trees humans replaced the clearcuts with. Even in the planted cuts, natural regen beat out the man-made stuff, growing healthier and faster than the other.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “B.C.”