Goodbye Ironman

Tony
Übergod

Re: Goodbye Ironman

Post by Tony »

Population of Whistler is 9,300. Where do you get 3,500 volunteers? That's a third of their population base.
Alex1967
Fledgling

Post by Alex1967 »

Tony wrote:Population of Whistler is 9,300. Where do you get 3,500 volunteers? That's a third of their population base.

There is a large metropolis down the road from Whistler that has many active, healthy, community minded people who love events like this. Hike the GG first thing any weekend am and ride the cable car back down with some of them.
veesfaninvernon

Post by veesfaninvernon »

Alex1967 wrote:
GordonH wrote:Just an add here about Whistler bring either lots of cash or CC with lots of room, it nothing cheap.

True, but Penticton is also very expensive during IM. Whistler has many more pillows than Penticton, so may be more able to absorb the people. Dollar for dollar though, I do agree with you, Whistler is more expensive.

I see them easily being able to get volunteers.

About how expensive it is in Whistler. At least for hotels I am reading the exact opposite on the Ironman Canada forum on Slowtwitch.com. There are lots of entries about how reasonable the accommodations are from people who have booked since the race was announced. One entry says they have booked a 2 bedroom suite with a full kitchen and it includes a breakfast buffet in the Pan Pacific Whistler for the same price that they paid for a standard room at the Penticton Lakeside during the last Ironman Canada race in Penticton. There are many other entries like this example.
Static
Guru

Post by Static »

Whistler is surprisingly affordable in the summer
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

The athletes will have two great locations (and two great races) to choose from. These races are marketed far and wide... I don't think it is a stretch to think that both races can be successful.
On a side note, Steve King is back on board, and is the 'voice & face' on the Challenge Penticton promotional video.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

Whistler appears to be a popular choice among triathletes and if the rumours of moving the date up to late July are true, IMC (Ironman Canada) may regain its previous status.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

Midnite wrote:Whistler appears to be a popular choice among triathletes and if the rumours of moving the date up to late July are true, IMC (Ironman Canada) may regain its previous status.

The move to Whistler, instead of Kelowna was a good one in my opinion. I, too, have heard that rumour about moving the date of Whistler Ironman to July. I suspect it is because of the weather. End of August can be cold there; its twice as high in elevation as here, plus Alta Lake isn't exactly warm. Penticton will still attract a large amount of participants to the Challenge event.
Midnite
Fledgling

Post by Midnite »

The earlier date raises the status of the event because it allows more time for recovery to compete in Hawaii as well. There will be more prize money and more Hawaii spots awarded than in Penticton. The Wisconsin which follows IMC awards next year Hawaii spots. It almost seems we are damned if we do and damned if we don't.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

On the 'Tourism Whistler' website ... they are already set up to book accommodation for the IronMan Event. The bookings are being taken for the race to happen on August 25th, 2013. If they are going to switch up their dates ... they will have to make that announcement very soon.
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

The date for Whistler 2013 is set for August 25th. It was 2014 that the rumor was circulating about. It would give more time between Whistler and Kona and also ensure better weather.
glassmaster
Übergod

Post by glassmaster »

Ahhhh ... well that does make sense. Thanks!
thepainter
Banned

Post by thepainter »

Alex1967 wrote:
Static wrote:Many athletes from Vancouver will choose Whistler over Pentictons simply because it is closer and they can save money by staying at home and drive to the race the day of, or stay the one night only before the race.

Not only that, but Whistler is strong a brand name. I think that IM being at Whistler on the same day as Challenge in Penticton will be detrimental to Challenge.

Having the Ironman in Kelowna the same day as the Challenge would have been more than just detrimental. Had Kelowna got the Ironman on the same day as The Challenge, They may as well canceled the Penticton Challenge before it even started. At least now with Ironman in Whistler, the Penticton Challenge has a fighting chance.
fall
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by fall »

Not only that, but Whistler is strong a brand name. I think that IM being at Whistler on the same day as Challenge in Penticton will be detrimental to Challenge.
[/quote]

Having the Ironman in Kelowna the same day as the Challenge would have been more than just detrimental. Had Kelowna got the Ironman on the same day as The Challenge, They may as well canceled the Penticton Challenge before it even started. At least now with Ironman in Whistler, the Penticton Challenge has a fighting chance.[/quote]

given the choice of whistler a new fresh course and atmosphere or a wannabe ironman in the same place as the last 30 years and you are travelling from around the world I think alot will end up in whistler
coolworx
Fledgling

Post by coolworx »

August is a lot more rainier in Whistler than in the sunny Okanagan.

You ain't gonna be breaking records riding up the Sea to Sky.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

I just bought and read the November issue of Triathlete Magazine, the foremost publication of the sport. Although numerous triathlons have placed ads for their upcoming events, such as the New York City Triathlon on July 1, 2013, there is not a word about Challenge Family or their events. For that matter, although I am no longer a regular reader of the magazine, I have never seen a Challenge Family article or ad in the magazine.

Triathletes typically start planning for their events that require travel plans well in advance. At what point is Challenge Family going to promote the race to North Americans. If they think the race can survive with European racers and locals, I don't think they will survive more than 2 or 3 years.

Perhaps Mayor Ashton will share with us the marketing plans for the event?

Return to “Central Okanagan”