You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

superbee
Fledgling

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Post by superbee »

Alvis, glad you remember Empire Meats too. Sorry, I don't remember Mrs. Beck specifically, or the stamp collection. We were always in such a big rush with a list, that I would hand over to the friendly lady there. I remember her as very nice, and being on the right, behind the display case, as I went in the door. What was the layout as you remember? Where was the stamp collection? I presume you mean stamps for the different cuts of meat?

I wish I could drive to Empire Meats now. We were never afraid of getting sick from eating meat from them.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

superbee wrote:Alvis, glad you remember Empire Meats too. Sorry, I don't remember Mrs. Beck specifically, or the stamp collection. We were always in such a big rush with a list, that I would hand over to the friendly lady there. I remember her as very nice, and being on the right, behind the display case, as I went in the door. What was the layout as you remember? Where was the stamp collection? I presume you mean stamps for the different cuts of meat?

I wish I could drive to Empire Meats now. We were never afraid of getting sick from eating meat from them.

You came into the door, and turn right. This lea dright into the rpoduction room. To yourleft immediatly was a stand up cooler with pepperoni, which Mrs. Beck would always give me apiece for free. To you right was a counter separating the meat cutting floor and to the right of that was the meat locker. She would take me and my Mom in to look at our beef, hanging up. The stap collection was for the different cuts of meat, and it was on the counter which was attached to the half wall separating the cutting floor.

To your left wa another room that was white and it had what I assume would've been sausage production, poutlry etc.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Found this in the pages of an old book.

Last edited by gotaway on Oct 16th, 2012, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

gotaway wrote:Found this in the pages of an old book.

Too small and can't see it :(
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Alvis, can you possibly enlarge this? Looks like the Bulman Cannery's smokestack, I'm wondering if it is being set up, or taken down? Great find, I have never seen this photo before! The date??
CR250R40
Fledgling

Post by CR250R40 »

gotaway wrote:Found this in the pages of an old book.

Thanks for posting this great part of Vernon history, Gotaway. Great newspaper article. I read that the cannery closed in 1976 due to lower-priced veggies being trucked in from California. There's a wonderful biography of Bulmans Cannery at Vernon's Library.

Photo story:

END OF AN ERA
'The 123-foot high smoke stack at Bulmans Cannery premises, 28thA St and 39th Ave was cut in half and taken down Saturday. The 10-ton steel smoke stack trucked here from Chase in 1937, was last used in 1972. Tom Holgate of Penticton, who purchased the stack, plans to fill the two sections with Styrofoam and use them for floats for a houseboat. The crane operator lowers the top half of the smoke stack, which is 5-foot in diameter. [Daily News photo by Dorothy Sawicki]"

Image[/quote]
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

I came across this today and thought it might be of interest. It gives a bit of an historical overview of Vernon, then lists the heritage sights and then on about page 34, there are pictures and a little more information is given about some of the old buildings around town:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=cache:0PwnwXEzo-AJ:www.vernon.ca/services/pde/documents/heritage_register.pdf+&hl=en&gl=ca&pid=bl&srcid=ADGEESgNUlAhA2KtCYLx7NH71APPHltz5E4PSaDuPhErWPP_3C8iGHmKSH4JBpdq9xSwVVD9uiwmPpTp1NitJF-j2-5M-gqppYZealxfvSoa9EneokAhuTeYTZ8RV7sAomN07ztWdlgo&sig=AHIEtbSjIIXU6kLU2BqPQ_oO9eu8BEpJ7g
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

Anybody havepictures of local busniesses from the years gone by? I'd relaly like to see the drive in and old auto dealers along 27th as my mind is failing and I can't remember how it looked. I am thinking circa 1970's BTW.
Man can now fly in the air like a bird, swim under the ocean like a fish, he can burrow into the ground like a mole. Now if only he could walk the earth like a man, this would be paradise.
Tommy Douglas
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Just popping in to thank every one of you for the recent posts and photos. I have really enjoyed my walks down Memory Lane, thanks to you all!
gotaway

Post by gotaway »

Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

I remember that house in the left of the picture. It is aparking lot now :(
Vernon has lost so much of its history, and it makes me so sad.

Can anybody tell me the original locations of KAL Tire? Me and the Mrs. were discussing it the other night and I couldn't remember how long they'd been on their Kal Lk Rd location and where they were before that.
Tommy Douglas
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

Alvis, I remember Kal Tire very long ago being in the area behind the National Hotel. A gas station run by Tom Foord. I was very young and my mum bought tires for her little car there.
Alvis
Board Meister

Post by Alvis »

superbee wrote:Alvis, I remember Kal Tire very long ago being in the area behind the National Hotel. A gas station run by Tom Foord. I was very young and my mum bought tires for her little car there.

Yes I remember the gas staion, later was the dispatch for a cab company (National Cabs?) before being a liquor store.
where were they before Kal Lake Road?
Tommy Douglas
superbee
Fledgling

Post by superbee »

The taxi dispatch company there later was Walter Joe's Valley Taxi. Capital Taxi was owned by Rubin Taylor and their little dispatch office was in the alley on the east side of the Captial (Towne) Theatre building.
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Does anyone remember the rivalry between the Vernon Essos and the Kelowna Buckaroos? Merritt Centennials?

Return to “North Okanagan”