Who's Tree Is It Anyway?

livewire
Fledgling

Who's Tree Is It Anyway?

Post by livewire »

Posting in Penticton thread because I'm sure it might be different for each community. Situation: duplex, power runs into left unit through right units back yard for both sides. Left unit has big walnut tree that hangs over right units back yard entangling power line. Who's responsibility it is when that sucker drops a branch in a windstorm and takes out the power? Who gets the tab to trim the tree to prevent it from happening in the first place?
theyeti
Übergod

Re: Who's Tree Is It Anyway?

Post by theyeti »

do the neighborly thing and split the bill .. or pay it yourself and be thankful u can afford it and u r doing a little better than the guy next door
livewire
Fledgling

Post by livewire »

But CAN I just go ahead and do it if they don't want to?
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

better to ask forgiveness id say .. if u rnt on speaking terms it is hard to do it without it being a problem . maybe just ask the guy what he thinks about it ??
Darkre
Board Meister

Post by Darkre »

The tree is the responsibility of the property owner on which it is planted. I lived in a duplex and we received notice that our tree needed trimming as it was in the power lines. Our neighbour received a notice that his bushes and a tree had overgrown into the alley and were blocking drivers lanes of vision and he had to trim them.

Return to “Central Okanagan”