"Old Growth on the chopping block"

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Re: "Old Growth on the chopping block"

Post by Rwede »

Natural regen usually comes in far too thickly to grow well. Stems etiolate and grow tall and skinny. Naturally, that's what pine forests do, as "clumps" of trees sprout from a single cone's seeds. Commercially (and maybe visually for that park-like look), it's more desireable to have well-spaced stands and larger stems.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
theyeti
Übergod

Post by theyeti »

ya ppl always make the best choices thats why its so awesome everywhere !
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

grammafreddy wrote:Left to do what they do naturally, forests replenish themselves quite nicely. Natural regen where I used to live in the bush was far superior to the pine trees humans replaced the clearcuts with. Even in the planted cuts, natural regen beat out the man-made stuff, growing healthier and faster than the other.

Saying that, then old growth is worth protecting?
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Sorry granny but you're a bit off on one thing. We've done quite a few stocking and FG surveys this year. Natural regen doesn't even come close to beating out planted species. Yes lodgepole pine (Pl) is planted all over but it is a preferred species in most site plans. That's because it grows well on many sites.

As far as other people complaining about old growth being cut down. Typical rhetoric being spewed.
Graphite
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Graphite »

nickroth wrote:As far as other people complaining about old growth being cut down. Typical rhetoric being spewed.

Do tell, what is the 'typical rhetoric' you speak of.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Graphite wrote:
nickroth wrote:As far as other people complaining about old growth being cut down. Typical rhetoric being spewed.

Do tell, what is the 'typical rhetoric' you speak of.

He speaks of the ill-informed whimpering about cutting "old growth" pine, which are really just 80 year old trees that are going to die and burn soon if they aren't harvested. People who base their decisions on emotion instead of science spew truckloads of rhetoric on these issues.
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

agreed
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

"old growth" pine, which are really just 80 year old trees"
Rwede

NOT TRUE.
http://www.westernexplorers.us/LodgepolePine.pdf

200 years old is maturity and some can live to 5-600 years old.
Obviously, this depends on soil conditions/elevation/temperature/sunlight/thinning.
Some think that with global warming they will move further north and live even longer.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Some rhetoric-spewing, preservationist, retired school teachers might believe that a pine tree lives forever, but in BC, tree pests and fire mean 120 years is the end of the road for >90% of Pinus contorta. Thus, spewing rhetoric from the US is meaningless when discussing the totally different bio-geoclimatic zone survival of Pl in BC.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

Still not true.

300 year olds found in these plots in B.C.
http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/org_nws/NWSci ... Feller.pdf
Note table 3.

Cutting in old growth is is direct contradiction to the intent of the LRMP.
Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

LRMP is a guideline, not law. Your name is on the list of attendees, so you should know that.

From the LRMP:

• Does the LRMP have input into the annual allowable cut? It provides advice but the cut is determined by the Ministry of Forests. Decision makers listen to public comment, particularly when considering amendments to AAC.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

You might want to take a look at why OGMAs were established.

Certainly not to just to irritate the logger types. There were a lot of of trade offs.
The key was protection of waterways and biodiversity corridors..

http://archive.ilmb.gov.bc.ca/slrp/lrmp ... th/faq.htm
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Having taken forestry in college I can speak to this. Good luck finding a pine stand (contorta, monticola or ponderosa) that is 500-600 years old. Pine, espcially contorta, has a short rotation. Even with fire suppression It is an absolute stretch for any stand to make it much passed 120 years.
Buckeye19
Board Meister

Post by Buckeye19 »

Rwede wrote:Some rhetoric-spewing, preservationist, retired school teachers might believe that a pine tree lives forever, but in BC, tree pests and fire mean 120 years is the end of the road for >90% of Pinus contorta. Thus, spewing rhetoric from the US is meaningless when discussing the totally different bio-geoclimatic zone survival of Pl in BC.

About as accurate a response as could have been given.
George+
Walks on Forum Water

Post by George+ »

So...the scientific study of B.C. plots
Cited above is wrong??

Guess they just made up the trees! YEAH RIGHT!

Return to “B.C.”