Russian bride leaves elderly BC man with $25K welfare bill

zzontar
Guru

Re: Russian bride leaves elderly BC man with $25K welfare bi

Post by zzontar »

It used to be that for a guy, getting screwed was a good thing. How many times doesn't a woman marry someone for the money and then divorce him and get half of everything? Change these stupid laws where women are allowed to do this and you'll even see the divorce rate go down.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
mae
Fledgling

Post by mae »

The elderly gentleman in this situation has to accept some of the consequences in this case. He has already put out over 17,000, now go after the daughter for the rest. The daughter should also be responsible for supporting her Mother from now on or she can just darn well go back to Russia. Taxpayers in this country have enough of our own people to assist.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

zzontar wrote:It used to be that for a guy, getting screwed was a good thing. How many times doesn't a woman marry someone for the money and then divorce him and get half of everything? Change these stupid laws where women are allowed to do this and you'll even see the divorce rate go down.

She didn't marry him for the money - she married him to get into Canada faster. He was lonely and married her for companionship. As soon as she had her papers, she left him and went on welfare. However, because he sponsored her, he is stuck with her welfare bill and that has cost him plenty already. I feel sorry for this lonely old fella. He's not the only one, either. There's lots of crooked folks who scam oldsters in many different ways.

Many of our senior family members don't live where their kids and other family members live. Families are so spread out these days and seniors very often are left to muddle along on their own. When one of them dies, the remaining one is often ignored except for that monthly phone call or annual visit. Most old people don't tell their families how they are really doing/coping and will say they are fine when they are not because they don't want their families to worry about them or to put them into a old-folks' home and take away their independence. Some actually discourage their families from visiting because they don't want them to see how badly off they truly are.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

zzontar wrote:How many times doesn't a woman marry someone for the money and then divorce him and get half of everything?

...I don't think she got anything out of this marriage. Well, except landing papers and 2 years later a Canadian citizenship.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

That's why I buy Filipino. :127:
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Poindexter wrote:That's why I buy Filipino. :127:

I've seen that go wrong, too.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Rwede
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Rwede »

Grams, maybe you should hook up with this old guy! You'd be good for each other! :wink:
"I don't even disagree with the bulk of what's in the Leap Manifesto. I'll put forward my Leap Manifesto in the next election." - John Horgan, 2017.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

How did she even get approved for welfare? Dont they do a backgroung checK?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Rwede wrote:Grams, maybe you should hook up with this old guy! You'd be good for each other! :wink:

Bulltweetie. What do I want with an old fart under my roof?

But I have looked after a few of them (all males) whose families either didn't care to help them even though they all lived in Kelowna or else were too far away and didn't know what was really happening with them.

When I worked retail I had numerous older people tell me they sold out where they had lived before, moved to Kelowna to be with their kids at their kids' urging, then when they got settled in Kelowna, found out the hard way that their kids and grandkids had their own too-busy lives and they got ignored and the kids had no time to visit with them or help them with anything - even after one of them died and the mom or dad was now on their own - and lonely - and trying to look after a home themselves.

And how's that for a run-on sentence? :D

I've had older men ask me how to cook anything, older women ask me how to fix the wiring on a lamp or set a mousetrap or how to change the filter in their furnace, older men ask me how to add to a TV turkey dinner because it didn't have all the traditional veggies they liked with the holiday dinner - and their kids didn't invite them to their house even though the kids were cooking a big turkey themselves, and older people in general ask for help with all kinds of things - even budgets/paying bills and personal care stuff.

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

motorhomebabe wrote:How did she even get approved for welfare? Dont they do a backgroung checK?

What would the background check reveal that they wouldn't approve her claim? She got divorced, isn't employed, can't pay her bills - that's the kind of people who get welfare, usually. That she was a recent immigrant into Canada? That doesn't really matter to them. That she has a daughter able to support her? Doesn't matter either.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

I could be way pff base here, but dont most government forms ask about Place of origin, and if not born here ,how long has one lived here? They are holding the senior accountable, but seems to me they dropped the ball.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

so five yrs ago Heinz was on an dating site looking for love, and he scored a younger woman too! At 77 he thought he was set, I imagine he had a few exciting moments with the blushing bride - maybe even $24,000 worth.
$10 says he's still on dating sites.. wonder what his user name is on POF?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

The 25K is a fee paid or agreed to pay as a guarantor of the person coming to the country. You know to prevent people from doing bunk marriages to gain citizenship.

In this case he's now saying he didn't know it was going to be a bunk arrangement, but that's just too bad. Yes he got conned, but that is the joy of being able to have freedom and make choices for yourself.

It is not the governments place to bail people out for poor life choices.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

grammafreddy wrote:
Rwede wrote:Grams, maybe you should hook up with this old guy! You'd be good for each other! :wink:

Bulltweetie. What do I want with an old fart under my roof?

Simple you could have dual exhaust. :p
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

had to go find what he looked like - they had happy months, look at their cute " I Love" t shirts. And his family loved her. Maybe she left cause he was a dud in bed, or didn't cut his toenails
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/4124 ... fare-bill/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “B.C.”