Large Bear in Smith Creek Area - Saddle Ridge Drive

LiteraryEmporium

Large Bear in Smith Creek Area - Saddle Ridge Drive

Post by LiteraryEmporium »

At about 12:30 tonight my dogs suddenly started barking wildly, growling and guarding the door to my room. I was very afraid that someone was breaking into my house. I got up and looked out the windows and checked the doors. Everything seemed fine so I went back to bed. Not long after I heard crashing and banging next to my house, I got up and looked out just in time to see a very large bear leaving my yard. Be cautious if you are out and about in this area, especially at night.
smith_creek_crew

Re: Large Bear in Smith Creek Area - Saddle Ridge Drive

Post by smith_creek_crew »

Did you report it?
Worried about my kids walking to the bus stop on saddle ridge this morning
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Neighbours leaving garbage out? Quickest way to get a bear put down.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
heather yeats
Fledgling

Post by heather yeats »

Fancy wrote:Neighbours leaving garbage out? Quickest way to get a bear put down.

I wonder just how Bear Proof our garbage containers are? Made of plastic, no tight fitting lids and quite easy for a large bear to flip them over??

REMEMBER - Fresh compost is future soil for you...for a bear is it a ready prepared smorg! If you have a compost pile, bury the new stuff to make it less attractive by hiding its scent a little.
muddydogs

Post by muddydogs »

It shouldn't matter how bear-proof the containers are. It would cost the District (ie. taxpayers) hundreds of thousands of dollars to provide completely bear-proof containers. What matters is that lazy homeowners insist on putting their garbage out 12 hours before it is scheduled to be picked up and therefore atracting bears. Put it out at 7am and there wouldn't be any issues.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

That's great Muddydogs. Your 9 to 5 job must make getting your garbage out at 7 am very easy.
If you have a job at all.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

There are bylaws that state when garbage gets put out (not sure in West Kelowna though). If there are bears in the area, people need to use common sense and keep garbage locked up until garbage day.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Fancy wrote:There are bylaws that state when garbage gets put out (not sure in West Kelowna though). If there are bears in the area, people need to use common sense and keep garbage locked up until garbage day.

Locked up? Though there are some who have two car garages that have them inside, most of the bins I see are parked alongside the house in most cases.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

Fancy wrote:There are bylaws that state when garbage gets put out (not sure in West Kelowna though). If there are bears in the area, people need to use common sense and keep garbage locked up until garbage day.

Exactly. How many homes are there without a garage? In my neighbourhood i would say absolutely none. Everyone has a garage in my subdivision and pretty much all are double wide 2 vehicle ones. Anyone who says they don't have the room for a small garbage bin on wheels is lying. My neighbours bins are always outside his garage yet he has more than enough room inside, i have seen it.
My other neighbour left his out the night before collection day a week after a bear tipped garbage from his can all over the street. You would think he had learned from the previous week.

Come on people don't be lazy, move a few bits of old crap around and tidy up your garage, you'll be surprised you can fit the recycling one in there too!
Pookybear
Übergod

Post by Pookybear »

logman wrote:That's great Muddydogs. Your 9 to 5 job must make getting your garbage out at 7 am very easy.
If you have a job at all.

So a bear should be killed as to not inconvience you? :ohmygod:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Something else to consider - this area everyone has neighbours - ask for help if you can't get your garbage out or the dump is right there - take it yourself.
logman
Übergod

Post by logman »

No problem here getting it out at the proper time. Just saying it may not be easy for everyone.
Happytobehere
Fledgling

Post by Happytobehere »

Smith Creek used to be bush not too long ago. It's subdivisions that are the intruder, not wildlife. The onus is on people to adjust.

Return to “Central Okanagan”